Senator 540 Questions

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gareth15765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Senator 540 Questions
    Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 12:11pm
Gareth15765 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

ok advice please

a mate is looking at the senator 540 and has the four stroke 80 hp on it he is curious as to does it have enough power for the mainly east coast areas like Whangamata Tairua Waihi and coromandel areas will 80 be enough for 4-5 people and fishing gear ??

the only local place to trial it would be Waikato river so it will be hard to assess the rough water handling of this what are they like ?? 

thoughts would be appreciated and is there anything to look out for or a must have

He is a first time boatie and is looking for any advice or tips

thanks guys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gareth15765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 7:57pm
Silver
Silver

Does any one out there have a 540 ??what size motor is on yours? ?

Anything to consider ?
Any problems ??

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 9:49pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi G

I have had a couple of Senators and have just sold my 1800 Pro sport...

If he has the $$$ he should custom it a bit - I have done that to both. I am in two minds as I am buying a new boat and is a tossup between the 540 Senator and 565c Osprey.

My last boat -

This is my old 540 -

The things I changed on my 540 -
- Above pic - Raised sides 150mil (low free board is a bit dangerous and not good for kids leaning over) Top of gunnels were about were your knees were 150mil higher took gunnels up to thighs.
- Sep anchor well - when pulling anchor in you get wet as anchor well is low (get them to put in sep anchor well)
- Seats are to high when seating your view is where the canopy reaches the screen (I lowed mine 100mil) could see perf out screen when seated.
- Put in a 100ltr under floor
- Deck shelves not so wide - lined up with gunnels (can even raise them to meet the bottom of transom)
- Closed transom off with cubby's

In my new boat I closed of anchor well for fully elec capstan - put in a cubby on front wall in cabin for access in to the anchor for washing and airing -

Also put in some bunks with ali foot rests..

Ride was swt - 1800 Pro Sport was better as had more length..

I had a 90 Yammy 2S on my 540 (4 dudes & fishing gear) but didn't push it so went to a 115 Yammy 2S which turned it into a whole better boat.

My new 1800 Sport had a 90Merc 4Stroke 2013/14 model just before the latest - went mint and prob wouldn't of gone any smaller than that - you may get away with the 80 4S on the 540 but def make sure it is perf height and propped perf then you should be right - if he has the $$ I would go to a 90..

Hope this helps..

What make OB is he looking at???

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gareth15765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 10:03pm
Silver
Silver

cheers fishwhisperer bloody excellent stuff

pretty sure its the yammy 80

I have not looked at them so I cant even help him or point him in any direction so I am keen for any owners like yourself to help him

appreciate your help
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gaff1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 10:18pm
gaff1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've got a 2yr old 540 and love it !
It's got a 90 2S yammy on it and pushes it along sweet
Mostly fish 2 but you don't notice a 3rd person
Only thing I'd fault with design as fish whisperer said is that seats are too high to sit at while driving, I might do something about it one day
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 10:32am
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by gaff1 gaff1 wrote:

I've got a 2yr old 540 and love it !
It's got a 90 2S yammy on it and pushes it along sweet
Mostly fish 2 but you don't notice a 3rd person
Only thing I'd fault with design as fish whisperer said is that seats are too high to sit at while driving, I might do something about it one day

Hi G1

If you take your seats off and sit on the ali pod it is just about perf height (around 100mil diff with seats on) if it is the exact hight you want leave seats off and take to an ali welder get him to cut that length off weld a new plate on the top then all you need to do or get him to do is re drill holes to where your old ones were roughly and bolt back on...Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 9:42pm
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the 80 yam 4 stroke will have quite a bit more torque than the 90 2 stroke you just wont have the top end with 4 or 5 on board. I would say 100 to 115 would probably be the go
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gareth15765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 10:51pm
Silver
Silver

cheers rahui was just talking to the guy and we have come to the same conclusion

better to have extra hp and not need it than need it and not have it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gaff1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 6:10am
gaff1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers fish whisperer that sounds like a great idea