Potential safety hazard?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ad Astra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potential safety hazard?
    Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 11:54am
Ad Astra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Been out of boating/fishing for near 15years.
Getting back into it with the purchase of a 19ft Fibre-glass.
However, I noticed (after I bought it) that the battery sits between the 2 fuel tanks.
Looks to me like a accident waiting to happen or is this normal?

Any advice

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 12:32pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is battery in an enclosed battery box?  You have 2 25L tote tanks?  Do you smell petrol in boat?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ad Astra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 1:03pm
Ad Astra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No. Battery not enclosed.
2x 45lt tanks (one each side)
No smell of petrol.

Thought about a battery box. Have used one before but very awkward especially connecting leads!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 1:16pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Doesn't sound great, but the only real danger would be sparking due to a loose lead, or accidental contact from something metallic shorting the leads/battery posts. Assuming it's a normal lead/acid battery it will give off hydrogen when it is charging anyway (ie whenever the motor is running), which has an even wider explosive fuel/air mixture range than petrol/air.
Battery box with a lid would be ideal - don't see many boats without them nowadays. If access is a real problem, maybe just the lid to keep the terminals covered.
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 9:37am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Battery box a must.. keeps connections etc dry, protects from when washing down etc.. and with hold down straps , keeps them away from any rotting , whatever from acids and stuff if leakage, over charge whatever.
And the battery box is shaped to use hold downs effectively.
As to having fuel next to or around battery and main switch gear....hell no

Take a quick look under a vehicle hood and try and find where a battery is located around fuel.. and wonder why it hasnt been that way for 100 yrs or so.

One of the 1st things I did on our boat was to swap the battery and oil tank locations around...to put the battery and switches away from the fuel filter and lines... as a bonus the oil tank ten became far more accessible and use friendly.

Also I drilled a couple 1/4"  drain holes just below 1/2 way up.. since use a petrol water blast to clean down, inside and outside, it started to fill up from spray.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ad Astra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 1:42pm
Ad Astra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Should have added pic in first post.
This is the set-up.

After further thought. I will locate battery.
Into a battery box that will be located under one of the forward seats where there is plenty of room.
Interestingly though, this has been the set-up I presume for many a year and obviously without mishap.
Still I don't won't to be there when there is!
I take your point re cars batteries under bonnet.
Not always the case though. A number of them have it in the boot adjacent to the fuel tanks albeit better insulated.

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 2:12pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nothing wrong with that! Maybe a battery box if you're worried, otherwise I'd just leave it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 8:44pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I would be concerned with the starboard metal tote tank sliding off that platform and contacting/shorting out on the terminals (Photo could be deceiving).
 Cover the battery as suggested above.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 9:34pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Slightly off topic - but I had same vintage motor and that oil pump system gave trouble - mechanic told me to bin it and run premix a few motors were blown due to failure of pump system.

Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 9:37pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I wouldn't use it like that. Put the battery in a plastic battery box and tie the box down, then it will be safe as houses.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ad Astra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 10:06pm
Ad Astra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

RE: battery position. All good and will do.
Oil pump! Will take further advice.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 10:38am
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you reposition the battery take a moment to look at the size of cable required and the cost of the leads.  Don't go too small, if you reposition the battery 3m away I'd be looking at something like 65mm2 leads minimum just to ensure that you can get all of the juice out of the battery to the starter motor, and allowing for a bit of moisture and efficiency loss due to the cable length.

Would be fine left where it is, a decent battery box, ply shelf and enclosure and sweet as (and possibly a bit more storage either side!).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ad Astra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 4:54pm
Ad Astra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah. Was considering that problem.
Looking the cost of the cable had me thinking I'd need to take a mortgage out to pay for itSmile.
You are the second reply to say that fit a b/box and it will be fine.
So the idea of shifting it is worth some serious thought.

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 5:08pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Also, moving battery forward, subjects it to a whole lot more banging and crashing in less than perfect weather conditions, quite often resulting in battery failure. Spend the $20 on a battery box, make sure everything back there is secure, have a coke and a smile.. And enjoy the boat! :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ad Astra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 6:00pm
Ad Astra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Many thanks. Info from all was and is most useful.
The coke will taste much better with an 'aditive'Beer