Best pontoon boat

Page  <12345 6>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 6:12pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

fair enough. well make sure you kit it out for safety. pontoons dont equal automatic safety. some will be better at not rolling once swamped and you will clearly want hardcore bilges as safety is your priority. one that keeps the engine above the water line when swamped will be a plus.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jelliman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 6:51pm
Jelliman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Noted.if I can't get a boat already kitted I'll do just that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 9:32pm
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am approx 115kg and my 2 brother in laws weight over 140kg so all up approx 400kg when the 3 of us go fishing. tell me then what 5 mtr non pontoon would be safe for us to move around at will. yeah right might be ok for you sparrows but not us. Pontoon only way to go and we have been in heaps of boats. We don't just say this stuff to stir we say it because we are experienced. ll I know if that dreaded day comes and we flip my big round pontoons will keep us a float
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jelliman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 9:34pm
Jelliman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good point
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jelliman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 9:51pm
Jelliman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone know about the ospreys?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 10:22pm
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

never been for a ride one but checked them over a few years ago when there was a agent in HB, similar to Kiwis with strong quality build, safety, deeper deadrise which will need more horses, quite pricey but generally are considered one of the top brands
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jelliman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 10:26pm
Jelliman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

There have been a few good deals on trademe over winter. Most good deals are in Wellington.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jelliman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 8:13am
Jelliman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Orca look solid? Anyone know about them?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 2:30pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i dont think the point of pontoons should be to keep you afloat. a lot of non pontoon boats will do that. find a model that will keep you upright and not flipped by rolling waves when submerged. even better if the engine remains above waterline.

a lot of trade offs in a pontoon boat but safety is paramount so good choice and yep so many to choose from.

i think for me the frewza guys pretty much drummed it in they are good value.

but so many other good options.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 4:26pm
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My point is that in the event of the boat getting caught in a bad crossing or a bad breaking swell and the boat flips which is quite often the case the extra air in the pontoons will give it the buoyancy to remain afloat and could save your life.
With the non pontoon it is likely that when the boat flips the boat will be  underwater and may float mostly submerged. what boat would you like to be on, especially in winter?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 9:47am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The other potential advantage of pontoon boats is the pontoons can function like large reverse chines.

If the boat is designed correctly it should get up and plane on the vee with the pontoon mostly out of the water.  

But at rest the pontoon should be contacting the water along most of its length providing resistance to the boat rolling from side to side.

This should allow the designer to get away with a deeper vee but still have a boat that is stable at rest.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Denny Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 12:31pm
Denny Boy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

• Pontoons-every pontoon boat that I have studied planes with the forward 3/4 of the pontoons out of the water and only the back 1/4 touching. To a point I think these are the built in trim tabs for the boat. Unless it is like a Stabi 509 that I had which had basically a flat bottom with the pontoons quite "level". With this boat any sort of a sea hit the forward pontoon area much sooner, "cupped" the pontoons and broke my back. Many later pontoon boats have remedied this and have upswept pontoons e.g. Senator, Profile etc which allow a lot more "squash" before the pontoons hit. Kiwikraft on the other hand have it sussed with their really deep V and rounded pontoons with the effect if the boat did nose dive into a trough the water flows smoothly over the pontoons rather that "cupping" as is with sqare pontoons. Then again Senator have mitigated this to a degree with thinner pontoons.
  • Noise-at rest you are going to have noise with alloy boats regardless unless they are kitted with sound deadening material along the insides which results in more expense so I guess that's why they don't insulate often to keep down the cost.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 12:57pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MikeAqua MikeAqua wrote:

The other potential advantage of pontoon boats is the pontoons can function like large reverse chines.

If the boat is designed correctly it should get up and plane on the vee with the pontoon mostly out of the water.  

But at rest the pontoon should be contacting the water along most of its length providing resistance to the boat rolling from side to side.

This should allow the designer to get away with a deeper vee but still have a boat that is stable at rest.

That's not really an advantage of pontoon boats though is it, since you could build exactly the same lower hull shape (big reverse chines) without having pontoons.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 1:34pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I agree that reverse chines are not exclusive to exclusive to pontoons - for example Boston whalers often have big reverse chines. 

But you don't see a whole lot of reverse chines on non-pontoon trailer boats.

The pontoon deign inherently provides reverse chines without some of the challenges of including them within a conventional hull.

Originally posted by Mullins Mullins wrote:

That's not really an advantage of pontoon boats though is it, since you could build exactly the same lower hull shape (big reverse chines) without having pontoons.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 2:02pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wonder if it's because they're difficult to build (more welding but surely not all that hard), or just not desirable?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 2:24pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Mullins Mullins wrote:

Originally posted by MikeAqua MikeAqua wrote:

Isn't that what Fish City did with their hulls?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 3:21pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think fish city boats describe (some of) their boats as a gull wing design - which could be considered a wide, gentle reverse chine, often curved rather than angular.

Gull wings add stability, but I don't know if they help with hole shot, planing and tracking the way reverse chines do.

Gull wings, being flatter and wider are quieter than reverse chines which can be noisy.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jelliman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 3:25pm
Jelliman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Are fc boats pontoon boats
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 6:49pm
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

no but they do have buoyancy in the gunnels, I reckon they are all right, worth checking out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 10:06pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by rahui rahui wrote:

no but they do have buoyancy in the gunnels, I reckon they are all right, worth checking out

Polystyrene pieces in the gunnels, some early models I looked were very shabby, one had prices of poly falling out...this combined with the poor quality of the welding steered me clear of these boats and into a Frewza .

The new FC boats are better, they have even fixed the poor transome design on new models
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Page  <12345 6>