Trailer Boat Gamefishing

Page  <1234 7>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sword Fight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 11:47am
Sword Fight View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I bolted my Kilwell outriggers to the roof of my Surtees 5.5m Hardtop, as far forward as they would go, gave the lures a better action than the rod holder ones I had. I added tag lines with the pulley and tensioning cord but no return. It keeps the riggers always under tension, and works alot better. also makes it easy when pulling the line out. Lines then rubber banded into the release clip. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 12:14pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks Great, love the overhead shot.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 1:03pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Guys, long time looker first time poster.

I plan on giving this game fishing a nudge next year, trailering my boat up from Chch to Tutukaka ? for a month. I have just bought a 6.1m Surtees. Most of my fishing will be solo I would guess.

I plan on running a short corner, long corner and maybe a shotgun. The questions is will I need outriggers to do this or will I get away with just using rod holders ?

There will be many more questions to follow no doubt.

Great reading on here and thanks for all the posters that have given me many good ideas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 1:32pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reel craze.
Truthfully running from rods is quite ok.
But as you understand the techniques involved in trolling you will in time see the potential and I underline potential advantages of riggers and a thousand and one other tools.
Like any fishing it's a learning curve.
Do the basics.
Put yourself where the fish are, no use trolling or livebaiting if there is no one around.
Make sure your tools can handle catching a fish.
Read Peter pakulas website and watch the vids. should take you a while but a lot of good info there.
Try and link up with someone who fishes for game up there already.
Good safety equipment.
I'll stop there because the list is long,
Start with the above.
I'm sure others will chime in with there thoughts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dave0308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 1:52pm
Dave0308 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You don't need riggers to have a go especially if only running 3 rods  but they are good if you got  them but you should be able to run 4 or 5 rods ok by your self once you have had a few practice runs. This season was my first real go at it & i had a cupple of solo days where i ended up running 5 when the plan was for 4. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sword Fight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 1:56pm
Sword Fight View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If you are going to run them with no Riggers, I would move your rods from the corners up to your side rod holders and then drop them back a bit further so they run in clearer water. 
That leaves your corners free to tow a teaser or bungy for skippies in the messy water. 
I have had 2 surtees now, and most of my shots have come from the riggers or shot gun lures.
Riggers are good to have but not a necessity & if you start picking up a bunch of skippies on the bungy throw one out with a hook in it.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 5:23pm
RH580ikanui View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by reel crayze reel crayze wrote:

Hi Guys, long time looker first time poster.

I plan on giving this game fishing a nudge next year, trailering my boat up from Chch to Tutukaka ? for a month. I have just bought a 6.1m Surtees. Most of my fishing will be solo I would guess.

I plan on running a short corner, long corner and maybe a shotgun. The questions is will I need outriggers to do this or will I get away with just using rod holders ?

There will be many more questions to follow no doubt.

Great reading on here and thanks for all the posters that have given me many good ideas.
Welcome Crayze.. good to have another surtees owner that will be an addict from now on.
No need to rush out and get riggers... I would rush out and get a dredge system sorted then all you will really need is a couple of lures running close behind that. Five lures is a lot of gear to clear on your own when you don't know what your doing. Stick to a dredge and two corners and have a live bait rig ready to go. I am around all of Feb if you need a pal to hang out with. Room in the drive for another Surtees any time.
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 6:48pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Seems to be a common thread here? Another pic on what works for me.
Reel Crasee, don't overthink things and try to "KEEP IT SIMPLE", like others have said run your lures from rods in the rod holders, and it does work. If you have the standard plastic holders swap them out for the alloy ones.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 8:35pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Many thanks for the replies and to supermodel for the kind offer.

I will take the boat out in one of the local bays and run the lures with the rods in various positions I guess this will give me a bit of an idea ? It is mainly the long corner that I have concerns with, not being in a bit of clear water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 8:38pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Crazey,
Don't worry about clear water wide. Just use length, ie, a friggin long way back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 8:51pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another option to running outriggers is to have a boon bird or similar in front of your lure, this creates a lot of splash and action, we have caught some very good fish on this including a 313kg blue.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sambosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 9:09pm
Sambosi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you are taking a month off to come game fishing, get outriggers, or you will have by the time you have left Tutukaka. 

You will find at Tutukaka, if you want, that there are a few people around who will want to go fishing and contribute to costs.  They will be able to tell you where to go and help clear the gear.

I would suggest that 95% + of posters on this thread would not be without outriggers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Merci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 9:22pm
Merci View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I agree with Sambosi. Almost all of our fish have come off the riggers. We quite often now don't even run a short corner, instead have replaced it with a spreader bar.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 9:46pm
Titanium
Titanium

I am with you Merci, but rather than running a spreader bar or similar on the corner/s I will be running a rapala or Halco Lazer Pro for tuna.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 10:46pm
Sambosi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As supermodel said though...get a dredge.  I am now a believer in them and considering running a second off the other corner like a few are doing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 12:30am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Otto Otto wrote:

Will be watching this thread for tips and advice.
Fitted some outriggers last year but need to rig them out properly.
Any suggestions where one can see some fitted or get advice.
One item I've been trying to find are a simple lock like these -

Cheers

hallock rigger clip

Hey otto these work well although I only use the singles.
Just swap out the Bungay elastic for cord as you don't want any stretch in your halyard just a nice crisp release.

Simple is good as last thing you want is tangles etc which no doubt will happen at the worst of times , the sound of a outrigger snapping is quite impressive.

On the link below is a good basic diagram , adding a ring to your riggers if they don't already have it helps keep lanyards tangle free and makes resetting them quicker .

hal lock diagram
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 11:04am
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Those halyard locking clips look great, but if you want a cheaper option a small longline clip on a short lanyard works fine.

Be careful if using guy ropes to take the whip out of lightweight riggers, or to ease the strain on the mounting point - unless its at the top (like in Ynot's pic) the guy rope will create a point-load instead of allowing the rigger to flex over its full length.

Merci's comment is interesting - for those who have caught a few, what percentage of your strikes on a trailer boat have come on the short corner ? For me - 0
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 11:54am
Titanium
Titanium

We are 0 for the two AMF's I fish on, but my mates old 17ft McLay Fisherman with a 85 hp 2 stroke Suzuki used to get a few strikes on the flat lines in close.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dave0308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 1:16pm
Dave0308 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

im 1 from 3 but not on the short corner as such the first 2 were on my bungi with a 5" feather on it just short of the short corner and the wake pushing it wide of the main lure so stuck a 7/0 hook on it and ran it from a rod poked out the side (Tyrnos 30) weged between the transom & the 135lt fish bin & the but of the short corner rod & very light drag so it didn't dissapear if we did get another bite, The stripy went 125kg our first. But this was only my 1st season game fishing, we had 1 hook-up on the long corner all the rest on the riggers 0 on the shot.Embarrassed 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 1:17pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

out riggers are good but truly not essential for catching gamefish,
when we started out on the west coast 19ft McLay we landed fish nearly every trip without out riggers, but once we add more gear to the boat outriggers helped spread them out and gave less tangles, plus the height helped make the lures run nicer.

a lot depends on if your going to use them for the whole season, but for just a month of the year it is quite a bit of expense to fork out for such a short duration, your call...  
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Page  <1234 7>