Best riding Hull

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best riding Hull
    Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 12:30pm
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Share your experience from Hartley to Black dog cat. what has been the  best riding hull you have been in. I would have to say a 6 mtr Haines Hunter was my best experience; had a 200 hp on it and we were doing 50mph thru chop, this was a log time ago but it still sticks with me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 1:21pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm on my third Viscount for a reason. Walu has a bracketed 150hp Oceanpro and tops out at 53mph. She's stable and comfortable in a chop at 45mph and cruises nicely at aprox 25-27mph. Then the missus tells me offWacko
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 5:24pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've had some pretty smooth trips on the Inter-Islander in 30-40 knots?!...
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 10:32pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Funny Flyfisher I was thinking the same thing. Nice freeboard and deep V. Good cuddy cabin too. Was going to get one, but I had difficulty getting it on the trailer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 8:29am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think so many variables in such a general question
Once one gets over 17 or 18' makes a huge difference....
Then get over 6.1m and again another huge step in change
Then there is fiberglass over Ally
Then throw in a well powered hull over a min powered
And of course at the end of the day, the skills of the skipper at the helm... and consideration of certain female body parts.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 8:36am
Platinum
Platinum

Yes steps I agree. I did intend my reply to be generally speaking sorry

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 10:24am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sry m8.. I didnt mean my post to sound directed at u....
Real life in my experience with ladies worked like this
A male 'mentor' sometime back commented to me about "consideration to be given to certain female body parts"  and choppy waters wakes etc.
I took , like everything else he has told me on board....
But in the early days with wife on board "She's stable and comfortable in a chop at 45mph and cruises nicely at aprox 25-27mph. Then the missus tells me offWacko"
things like falling off the plane because missus uses one full name stuff..
With a little experimenting with trim , speed in different chops etc with the guys, and a little co operation with that experimenting, with just the missus and I ... a lot turned out , not "body parts" but the rough 'rally driving surface and  min plaining speed....
The wife now understands dropping off plain, climbing up and down the chop, or tapping the peaks, maintaining a little bumpy ride, balancing with body parts, along with more suitable clothing in choppy conditions when returning home.
So now a 8 min cruise trip across the channel on flat water, to a 20 or 25 min in a westerly, is now more like 12 to just under 20 mins...with a little consideration and give and take on both sides
And day ends on a far happier note, with wife keen to get out on the next weekend weather window.

Your post and my comment where meant to be independent  unrelated comments

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 11:16am
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

opps I forgot I did have a ride in a sea nymph hustler, I think it was a 570 out to Kapiti and it was a rough sea, it was an amazing ride in the rough. actually probably as good as the haines. I did post earlier ali vrs fibreglass couple years ago. I have come to my senses, Heavy boat with a sharp v is hard to beat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 12:45pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

~9m AMF.  8mm alloy plate hull and structure, nice deep vee, wideish chines.  Not mine of course.

Punching into a fresh Norwest the limitation on speed was getting the spray off the windscreen fast enough.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 3:03pm
Platinum
Platinum

Steps no offense taken
Rahui after 25yrs as a Resin and Core supplier I agree, however I may be biased

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 3:26pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think a lot of the glass vs alloy difference is about weight.  Generally a glass boat will weigh a lot more than an alloy boat of similar size and design.

When you get into commercial alloy boats with heavier hull plates and top sides and more framing, the weights become comparable and so do the rides.  This even applies to small commercial boats around 5 - 6m.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 6:35am
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was wondering if there was more slippage  with fibre glass to give it a better ride over alloy, it appears smoother
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 7:32am
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My dads 8m cat, best ride by far. The faster you go the better the ride, no banging or crashing, like riding on a cushion of air.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 8:04am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by rahui rahui wrote:

I was wondering if there was more slippage  with fibre glass to give it a better ride over alloy, it appears smoother

My thinking is if talking about speed (not ride in choppy or rough water) I guess yes more than likely the smoother the better - but what kind of sea conditions are we talking about best riding hull? 

To my mind it would be an all round hull - all boats are nice when it is flat calm just some are nicer? 

What about when crossing Manukau Bar with wind against tide? - I would pass on a smooth racing hull then! 

Maybe that is also why different opinions are out there - depends on conditions on the day and boats are designed for local conditions - look at all the pontoon boats from Invercargill way? 
(and Steps I don't usually worry about female body parts I worry about mine and my passengers backs as they have to help load boat on trailer when we return!) 

Cheers
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 9:31am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smoother hull could be a factor - as if the hull cuts into the water more, it wont bang into it as much. I hadn't though of that possibility.
My Frewza 4.1m aluminium pontoon boat, is rather hard riding in a chop; so I throttle back  - generally, do 15 knots in a 10knot wind, and roughly 10 knots in 15knot wind - varied by other factors (sea direction, current).  I look with envy at the fibre glass boats passing me. As a rough rule of thumb, I reckon fibreglass boats of similar size to mine, do about 5 knots faster.

A longer boat would no doubt ride softer. But theres downside to longer - yesterday launched from a beach (Tindalls Bay) - when I came back to the boat, it had gone sideways, and the waves (little) had pushed it up on the sand, so I had a hell of a job pulling it out to float - what my back does not need. I thought - if it was any heavier, probably wouldn't have been able to.

Multi-hulls are interesting. Said to be softer. Due to - much sharper hulls (deadrise). Any knowledgeable views on how they ride?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 12:25pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Heavier boats don't bounce around as much. 

Originally posted by letsgetem letsgetem wrote:

Smoother hull could be a factor - as if the hull cuts into the water more, it wont bang into it as much. I hadn't though of that possibility.
My Frewza 4.1m aluminium pontoon boat, is rather hard riding in a chop; so I throttle back  - generally, do 15 knots in a 10knot wind, and roughly 10 knots in 15knot wind - varied by other factors (sea direction, current).  I look with envy at the fibre glass boats passing me. As a rough rule of thumb, I reckon fibreglass boats of similar size to mine, do about 5 knots faster.

A longer boat would no doubt ride softer. But theres downside to longer - yesterday launched from a beach (Tindalls Bay) - when I came back to the boat, it had gone sideways, and the waves (little) had pushed it up on the sand, so I had a hell of a job pulling it out to float - what my back does not need. I thought - if it was any heavier, probably wouldn't have been able to.

Multi-hulls are interesting. Said to be softer. Due to - much sharper hulls (deadrise). Any knowledgeable views on how they ride?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 12:26pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Multi hulls are complicated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 12:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

There are pro's'n cons for all aspects I believe. Some time ago I relinquished stressing myself and spending money trying to find the perfect boat. I've found a happy medium and power plant that this old fellow can launch'n retrieve single handed and covers most bases. It's older, heavier and doesn't thump a lot.

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Imortal2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 1:21pm
Imortal2 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

This is my own personal opinion and experiences. Sorry if I offend anyone.

Best
Fibreglass- Haines Hunter SS700

Pontoon -750 Senator Was fishing on one in the first ever Kings of the Coromandel, if you fished the first one you will know how **** the weather was.

Non pontoon- 5.5m Lazercraft, been to the Kings on one!!
AMF prosport 5.5m That thing was awesome.

My ex boat a 560 Senator HT. This was an amazing boat for the size of it.

Bad,

Stabicraft 589, I call these the chiropractor boat.
Surtees- 6.1. spent alot of time in one. Just not for me.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 1:53pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

With the cat I have spent many hours on, the ride is far better than any monos I've been in. The hulls are sharper as it were and the faster the boat is going, the more air is forced between the hulls. I have a 560 buccaneer which has a reasonable ride, but could never afford the fuel and maintenance of twin everything that the old mans cat had.
I been in a lot of boats over my life and the old boy had a few too, cat best ride period.
Page  123 4>