Fish Finder Frewza F14 Dinghy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 4 stix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish Finder Frewza F14 Dinghy
    Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 8:08pm
4 stix View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What do you recommend for Fish Finder on Frewza F14 Dinghy? There is no weather/water protection, what advantage would a gps/fish finder on a small open boat? are any fish finders fully water proof? what should I stay away from?

If you have a Frewza F14 Dinghy could you put up a photo of it mounted so I can get ideas.

Many thanks for your input.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 8:17pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a Garmin Echo 100 b/w fish finder on my Mac 360 - waterproof?  Not really. I have behind a splash cover of Perspex - adequate for Manukau Harbour but a GPS/chartplotter combo  would be handy particularly in fog which happens in the harbour quite often this time of year.  A colour fish finder gives you more definition - if I could do again I would spend more in the first place - but that is me.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 8:32pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would ask this question on the JetSki fishing page on Facebook,those guys are up with the play as there in a similar environment to you
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 8:39pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Or buy a piece of clear vinyl from the Plastic Box or Spotlight and attach under or behind device so you can flap over the device  from behind. Easy to see through, easy to replace and you can lift it up to get to buttons and gauges. Did it on my Stabi for VHF and GPS and it works well. Make it long enough and, when travelling, wind will ensure it stays over electronics. Buy a decent heavy vinyl and it last well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gareth15765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 11:04pm
Gareth15765 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have one of those cheapo garmin fish finders on my kayak it has been completely under water and still works a treat (so far )

I would imagine most of the better brands around would be ip rated (ingress protection ) look for a rating of something like IP67 or a IPX5 the last figure is the water protection

check this out may help

http://www.mpl.ch/info/IPratings.html

cant help with boat pics sorry

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 11:20pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Depending on how your boat is setup, you could consider mounting it under a seat. I mount mine exposed to the elements, and rely on lanolin around the plugs. The sounder shouldn't be overly affected from spray.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 9:27am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mount it inside a click catch type plastic kitchen storage box on its side with the bottom facing forward. You should be able to sort through the size range and find one that will do the job.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 11:03am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I shaped a bit of Lexan that i found in a skip at work (the straps around it are just there for storage, not holding anything in place), my Lowrance elite-5 chirp sits in there nicely. Sheltered from most of the water and provides shade from the sun (painted the inside of it black so the paint doesnt scratch off as easily)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote out2sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 12:18pm
out2sea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have a frewza 4.1 dinghy and a lowerance elite-5 chip unit. The unit is IPx7 rated (Submersible to 1m) so far it has been rained on, caught some spray and hosed down once or twice, even though I try to avoid that last one. 

I have found having the fishfinder/chartplotter great for fishing the channels in the manukau harbour, and the chartplotter has been very helpful in fishing new areas, finding reefs and likely looking areas to fish.

I would look at the waterproof rating of any unit before you buy it, although it would be best to do as southern_jez has said and make a cover for it regardless. I find a plastic bag goes over mine quite well when washing the boat down.LOL

Here is where I have fitted mine

I find that a good spot to be able to see it easily while on the tiller, and I don't have too much of a problem with it getting in the way. Its mounted on a railblaza fitting so can be easily unplugged and removed if need be.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grampa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 8:30pm
Grampa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I considered IPX7 rated units, just posted a bunch of pictures in the Frewza thread but this was how I mounted mine.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 9:11pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Raymarine dragonfly easy to see the screen in full sunlight and my one has takin a hiding from all weather and angry kingies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 10:58am
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by out2sea out2sea wrote:

I have a frewza 4.1 dinghy and a lowerance elite-5 chip unit. The unit is IPx7 rated (Submersible to 1m) so far it has been rained on, caught some spray and hosed down once or twice, even though I try to avoid that last one. 

I have found having the fishfinder/chartplotter great for fishing the channels in the manukau harbour, and the chartplotter has been very helpful in fishing new areas, finding reefs and likely looking areas to fish.

I would look at the waterproof rating of any unit before you buy it, although it would be best to do as southern_jez has said and make a cover for it regardless. I find a plastic bag goes over mine quite well when washing the boat down.LOL

Here is where I have fitted mine

I find that a good spot to be able to see it easily while on the tiller, and I don't have too much of a problem with it getting in the way. Its mounted on a railblaza fitting so can be easily unplugged and removed if need be.

Any chance you could post some photos as to how you've got this mounted?
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Richard10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 7:46am
Richard10 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I recommend Raymarine Dragonfly 4 Pro, an amazing thing about the Dragonfly 4 Pro is that it comes with GPS capabilities. The 50 channel GPS allows users to navigate much easier than ever, and maps can be downloaded to the device. Reading full review here: http://fishfinderselect.com/raymarine-dragonfly-4-pro-fishfinder-review
My Fishing Blog: http://fishfinderselect.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 11:42pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That may be the case, but when the water comes in through the Dragonfly's horribly designed card door... you're screwed!... And it will...
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote riga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 2:57pm
riga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We must have dodged a bullet then as I left our first generation dragon fly sitting on the floor in the bow of the frewza 4.1 one night which just happened to have the heaviest rain ever and because the bow was down on the trailer the sounder was completely submerged in water.  Admittedly freshwater but it also gets a lot of spray/waves over it where we have it placed at the back of the boat and so far in 3 years no problems.  Touch wood