Overseas Terminal Barracouta

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Makuta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overseas Terminal Barracouta
    Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 10:19pm
Makuta View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Does anyone know how common a catch couta are at the well overseas terminal and how hard they fight. I want to go fishing there but I've heard that the couta are there. The biggest fish I've caught is a 46cm blue cod and 50cm parrot fish so I want to know what kind of fight I'm in for if I hook one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lithophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 12:23pm
lithophile View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Barra are common all over wellington harbour. The are good scrappy fighters, comparable to kahawai I suppose. I don't hear of people targeting them deliberately much. Watch out for the teeth, they will ruin your rigs and you if your not careful. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 12:39pm
Stormbringer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They are useless fish really, no good for eating as they are full of worms, you lose more gear than you catch fish. Good for puka and snapper bait is about all they are good for.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Makuta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 9:58pm
Makuta View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah when I go there I will be targeting kahawai and makeral mullet garfish etc so it'd be a pain in you know what if I do hook one. I normally go to petone targeting ky (still haven't caught one ) but haven't seen anyone get a couta there ..yet anyway...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 11:17pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

if you want to have a little fun then buy yourself a chrome lure with a little weight depending on line weight for casting and retrieving,

cast the lure/jig out and let it sink a couple of meters then wind it back reasonably fast if the coata are around they will attack it for sure,
you could run some thin flexible wire like 7 strand "this needs to be crimped or spliced" another one is Halco fused wire "to make a loop you just bend it to shape and heat with a lighter to hold it in place" in front of the lure to safe guard the lure from being bitten off, about 10/15cm is enough.

enjoy your Coata's they are quite good fighters on 2/4kg line...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Makuta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 11:22pm
Makuta View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That sounds fun...I might try it sometime
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 4:41am
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Stormbringer Stormbringer wrote:

They are useless fish really, no good for eating as they are full of worms, you lose more gear than you catch fish. Good for puka and snapper bait is about all they are good for.

I got a sth african mate I give heaps about eating them cos they a rubbish fish and he reckons I dont know what im talking about.. Wink

I keep telling him they good bait and that is it.. Good fun
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361