WTB 2-3 piece Travel Rod

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BBFisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB 2-3 piece Travel Rod
    Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 9:26am
BBFisha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey all

I am off to Fiji for a couple of weeks in early September and looking for a decent travel rod to take.

Will mainly be for casting small poppers/lure in/around the lagoon.  Something with a bit of grunt, I guess in the 4-8kg range.  I will be matching to my Daiwa Sol 2500.

Look forward to hearing back WHY.  PM or post here.

Kev
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 9:54am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Check out the shimano travel rod at top catch, it's a 5 piece and fits in your bag,works way better than it looks ( looks like cheap rubbish)
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:09am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hard to find a decent travel rod in NZ, I buy mine when in aussie and have a fleet of 'em!  I think the best performing ones are the Daiwa Generation Black, but $299 here vs $149 in aussie, means we are getting shafted here as usual! The Berkely Nomadic range is great value at $129 AUD but hard to find here again.

If you get stuck, I have a awesome, custom Gary Howard 3pc 6'6" 4-7kg that is a perfect match for a 3000 or 4000 reel or Samaki Zing 3pc 7' 3-5kg which is good for a 2500 reel I can loan you. Shimano got their Revolution Travel range completely wrong IMO. Both rods in action a few weeks ago here:

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDCWrrB6IE8

Andrew

https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:33am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I went through this a while back.  As Andrew pointed out there seems to be a distinct lack of travel rods in NZ? (other than fly rods of course)

Worst thing was while traveling and meeting people from the northern hemisphere with some amazing travel rods that just aren't available here? 

Amazing bit of kit!!! Packs down smaller than my fly rods.  Has enough length to throw a decent way.  Light tip so it can be fished very light, but enough grunt down low that you can fish 10kg braid and really lay into it. 

Iv been to Fiji before, and this would be the rod id be taking with me if i were you?  Although id be matching it with a 4000 size reel.  A 2500 is pretty small to fish 7kg IMO.

PS.  There a fraction of the price in Australia, but no shop over there will post one here. If you have a friend over there that can post forward one for you, it will save you a fair bit.

Oh yea, as Andrew said the Barkley Nomadic's look like a nice bit of kit as well.  Might have to check them out when im over in Aus in October?  And I agree with you Andrew the Shimano revolution series just seems all wrong to me?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:42am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's a nice rod alright, Shimano NZ don't stock them, pretty sure Malcolm is importing them himself as lot of his rods are overseas models not available here like the Lox as well, it's long though, nearly 8ft, I guess that will give you some serious shore-based clout.

I've had 3pc spin rods shipped from Tackle Warehouse in Brissy before with no problems. Travel rods are definately the go, the actions these days are little different to a two-piece rod. Many AU airlines are now allowing travel rods as carry on which is promising, Fiji I'm not sure about though. The good thing is most come with a hard case (Generation Black does not however).

As a side Fraser I see that Crucis is $149 AUD as opposed to $349 here...!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:48am
Platinum
Platinum

Yea since moving to Queenstown iv been going through my rod collection and getting rid of anything that cant go on a plane.  Lets face it living here, if it cant go on a plane it wont get used.  

Oh iv also found a the Berkeley Attack a nice rod for the money.  Its a cheapy, so the fit out is pretty poor, but the blank its built on feels well ahead of the price point.   I considered one, but decided it was better to spend the extra coin and do it right once.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:50am
Platinum
Platinum

Spot on Andrew.  I don't mind paying a markup to purchase locally but there gets a point where its just taking the P$$ hey?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:52am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Actually Amazon outdoors are doing it for $118 AUD! Yip, crazy mark-ups, freight and exchange rates aside...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BBFisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 11:06am
BBFisha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Very helpful, thanks guys.  Think I will look to source a Crucis from Oz as I have a friend on FIFO over there who can bring it back.  As I will match it with a 2500 SOL, any suggestions on the 7'2" or the 7'10"?  Ill probably run 10lb braid.

Cheers - Kev
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 11:38am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I personally think that 7'10 7kg will match a 3000 - 4000 size better, but have not held one, so Fraser better to make that call.

The Samaki Zing 7' 2-4kg 3pc would be perfect, it's really a 3-6kg type rod and $160 AUD, I run a 2500 Rareium on mine and it's a spot-on match-up. A 2-4kg will run 10lb braid, but will max a softer blank under load.

http://samaki.com.au/zing-travel/

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Devon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 11:40am
Devon View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've got 4 or 5 piece t-curve at home i'd part with for $120.. Its about 9' and 6-10kg from memory ill have to check. Maybe a bit heavy for 2500 size reel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 11:50am
BigMike View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Another option that I went for.
Buy a length of heavy duty pvc pipe, use any normal 2 piece rod (that you may already have) and pack the tube with rods and all your gear into a ski or snowbaord bag.
I did get a few strange looks turning up in fiji with a snowboard bag but you get to use your fave gear, and its no hassle really, cheaper too and your rods will be protected.
I put my reels in a click clack tuppaware container in the same bag.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 11:55am
Platinum
Platinum

Yea id agree with Andrew.  The 7'10" i run with a Stratic 4000, which is a lovely match.  If you want to run it with a 2500 size reel then id go the 7'2" for sure and run 10lb braid.  A lot better match! Wink

Just remember that with a lighter outfit like that you might get smoked a bit in the salt in Fiji?  Still that's half the fun hey?Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:14pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by BBFisha BBFisha wrote:

Hey all

I am off to Fiji for a couple of weeks in early September and looking for a decent travel rod to take.

Will mainly be for casting small poppers/lure in/around the lagoon.  Something with a bit of grunt, I guess in the 4-8kg range.  I will be matching to my Daiwa Sol 2500.

Look forward to hearing back WHY.  PM or post here.

Kev

If your at Denerau try the ends of the breakwall leading to the harbour - there are back eddies (depending on which way tide is flowing) at each end that harbour monsters awaiting bait fish to ambush. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BBFisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 4:22pm
BBFisha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers all.  Also what do you guys think of popper size for casting around lagoons/structure in Fiji?  There are some good prices on Halco Roosta Poppers from Wellsys, they are 135mm and weigh 47gm.  Im not expecting to target GT's, but maybe some smaller Trevs if im lucky!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 9:30pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yea sounds like a plan. The 135mm size will be perfect in the lagoon.   Use a couple of inches of wire in front of them. Plenty of toothy critters like barracuda (different fish to the one in NZ waters) and Spanish mackerel that will bit you off in a blink.

Most of the fish in the lagoons aren't that big in Fiji but a 2kg trevor will smoke you in a blink with a light outfit like your planning to use.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BBFisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 10:11pm
BBFisha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks everyone
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote :Hunter: Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 7:43am
:Hunter: View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I just returned from Raro. I took my 2 piece soft bait rod in a rod tube. I just carried it on the plane and they put it in a storage compartment for me, a lot easier than checking it in. Just another option.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote atis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 11:07am
atis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I used a ugly stik travel at raro couple of years ago. Nothing flashy, good old fiberglass composite rod, but I really liked the robustness if it... and they are reasonably priced too...
I have the 10kg version, good enough for small poppers...
http://www.fullonfishing.co.nz/contents/en-uk/d1117_Ugly_Stik_Gold.html

www.basszone.co.nz

home of reels
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote billwiessing@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 8:57am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Mate I have made a hobbie out of travelling to the pacific islands fishing

I have a pvc tube perminantly attached to my old tramping pack that is long enough for my ocea popping rod and spear gun

as it is not a seperate piece there is no extra cost
Its just attached by pop rivets with webbing strap so they dont rip out 

just a thaught anyway