NIWA marine ecologist to talk at next NSSC meeting

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NIWA marine ecologist to talk at next NSSC meeting
    Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 6:20pm
fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi all, I thought this might be of interest to some of you:

We at the North Shore Surfcasting Club will be hosting guest speaker from NIWA Darren Parsons at our 11th August meeting at the Milford Cruising Club, Milford, Auckland.

Everyone is welcome. 8pm start
For more info please see our Facebook page or ask here.

A talk of two halves: recreational fishing harvest surveys and nursery habitats for juvenile snapper

Recreational fishing is an important part of New Zealand’s identity with about 600,000 kiwis partaking in the activity at least annually. With this many people gathering seafood it is important to understand the level of associated harvest. Here Darren describes what we know about recreational fishing activity in the Hauraki Gulf from recent surveys undertaken by NIWA and others. In addition Darren will also round out the talk by describing some of his recent findings about why seagrass nursery habitats are important to juvenile snapper.

About the speaker

Darren Parsons is a marine ecologist who has worked at NIWA for the last nine years. The majority of Darren’s research has focused on snapper, from the habitat requirements of small juveniles that occupy estuaries to the movement behaviour of large adults within marine reserves. Darren is also a keen recreational fisher, who first joined the North Shore Surfcasting Club in the mid 1990s.
North Shore Surfcasting Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 8:42pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Should be good, I've heard Darren talk before and it's quite an eye opener to hear what he has to say.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:13pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Darren is pretty on to it. Definitely worth attending for.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 7:12pm
fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It's this Tuesday night guys.  Come and get a beer at the bar and hear what Darren has to say :)
North Shore Surfcasting Club