Mokau trench

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mahora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mokau trench
    Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 7:51pm
mahora View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys,

Im looking at heading out to the Mokau Trench at some stage to chase Hapuka and Blue nose. Just wondering if someone on here has some sort of coordinates or maps of the trench fishing grounds. 

Cheers,
Josh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 6:30pm
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Where are you leaving from?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mahora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 8:42pm
mahora View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi there,

I'd be leaving from Mokau.

Cheers Josh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 9:43pm
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

best to overnight if you can. Normally the good bluenose bite well for an hour at daybreak. Fish along the shelf in 300 odd meters. Puka in the foul 180-200m and shallower foul. There are lots of spots out there its just a matter of having plenty to try if some dont fire. Its about 60 mile from Mokau and an awesome place to fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lickindip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 3:23pm
Lickindip View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

best to go out there with a buddy boat, its not a place you want to be if something goes wrong, VHF can be iffy depending on conditions

not hard to find spots out there ... wait till your sounder goes from 150m to 400m in a few seconds
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking too much; it scared the sh*t out of me, so today I decided I'm never f*cking reading again!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mahora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:08pm
mahora View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awesome, thanks for the info guys. I was looking at doing an overnigher sink. As for a buddy, I don't really know anybody down there who goes out to the trench so if anybody is reading this post and is heading out that way let me know. I don't wanna take your fishing marks, just wanna get to the fishing grounds. Is the trench straight out from the mouth?

Cheers,
Josh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lickindip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 7:42am
Lickindip View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

are you a member of New Plymouth Sport fishing and Underwater Club? (NPSUC)
if not ... go join. You will get first hand info from people who have been there a lot
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking too much; it scared the sh*t out of me, so today I decided I'm never f*cking reading again!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 7:43am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mate look up the charts and you'll see where it is. Hard to miss really. Its a long way from any port/harbour and a trip like that needs a good weather window and the boat and crew to be very well prepared. Especially if youre heading out in a trailer boat wich I assume youre doing?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 8:04am
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by mahora mahora wrote:

Awesome, thanks for the info guys. I was looking at doing an overnigher sink. As for a buddy, I don't really know anybody down there who goes out to the trench so if anybody is reading this post and is heading out that way let me know. I don't wanna take your fishing marks, just wanna get to the fishing grounds. Is the trench straight out from the mouth?

Cheers,
Josh.
You head North west from Mokau. What sort of boat do you have? Next time I go out I will let you know. Heading to Westport to try for a Bluefin so probably wont be going to the trench for a bit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mahora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 9:10am
mahora View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have a 7m Stabicraft sink. That will be cool if you let me know next time you go out to the trench. All the best for the blue fin mate!!

Cheers
Josh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mahora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 9:17am
mahora View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Next time I'm down in NP il join the club. Sounds like a good idea.

Cheers
Josh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mahora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 9:24am
mahora View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Il look over the charts tonight. Yeah I heard it can turn to crap pretty quickly out there. As for a good crew, we're pretty much all green horns. Still learning how to find snapper. Hahah
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lickindip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:14am
Lickindip View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

its not exactly a place for 'greenhorns'
a 5knot forecast can turn into 10-15knts of wind pretty easy out there, just remember you are COMPLETLY open to the Tasman and you are on the edge of a shelf. and even a wind coming from the land can be a nightmare as it wont protect you. its a similar area to when the kayaker tossed in his paddle when coming from Ausy after breaking gear in his boat ... sea conditions can be very bad right on that edge
I saw a photo years ago taken from a satellite which showed the clouds moving in eddy vortices behind Mt Taranaki stretching out way past the trench ... wouldn't have been pretty conditions out there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:16am
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

http://webapp.navionics.com/#@6&key=n_~gFqp%7Ca%60%40

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:50am
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Next time I'm down in NP il join the club. Sounds like a good idea.

Cheers
Josh.
Mokau has a fishing club. Always looking for new members. Have you fished out of Mokau before?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mahora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:51am
mahora View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Lickndip,

I wouldn't go out there without another boat close by. I know what the west coast is capable of. Thanks for all the info though, really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Josh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mahora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:52am
mahora View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Alex, I thought that might have been it.

Cheers

Josh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 11:38am
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers

Josh

I'm only guessing lol. But looks like the only major trench out there. Bored at work sp thought id have a lookBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 12:08pm
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by AlexFyssher AlexFyssher wrote:

Cheers

Josh

I'm only guessing lol. But looks like the only major trench out there. Bored at work sp thought id have a lookBig smile
There is another similar a bit further south, funnily enough called the southern trench.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 12:15pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Josh, i life in Mokau. The last big rains couple of weeks ago Mokau river had a good flood, big trees came down and took out the marker bouys on rocks and the marker pole. Be great going with Sink but if not definately seek local advice if crossing the Bar now with no rock markers. Good luck when you get out there. 
Page  12>