Which GPS/sounder?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which GPS/sounder?
    Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 6:44pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all, I am new to the Jet Ski scene & am not very techo so would appreciate input as to what options are out there.
Happy to receive your opinions/recommendations & why.
Am currently considering Raymarine A50D 5" so probably need to consider options in that general price bracket.
Cheers Pete
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 8:41pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pete.. I'm a Raymarine  fan from way back and really love their sounders /gps..units
There's a new generation out with chirp technology in the 4..5..6...7  inch range in the dragonfly range..   To my mind the gps fish-finder is now an integral part of fishing and SAFETY.. and it certainly helps in the gas department running round ages ago looking for fish with the old hummingbirds showing no sign on the sounder...  lol.. The dragonfly 5 with chirp shows amazing resolution and great pictures in chirp mode..
The wifi model came out just after i purchased my 6inch dragonfly for my boat and thats what i would have gone for on my boat.. but on a ski id say the 5 inch would do everything and more than you want...

What im saying is one with chirp technology be better than standard fish finder..   and price is not much different..

http://raymarine.com/view/?id=11200

This be my pick...
http://www.marine-deals.co.nz/marine-gps-chartplotter-fishfinder/raymarine-dragonfly-5-pro-fishfinder-chartplotter-with-downvision-and-wi-fi

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CarlW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 9:02pm
CarlW View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Pete, the A50D is quite popular among ski fishers so you probably won't go wrong with one of them. I have a Lowrance Elite 5 HDI/CHIRP on mine and have had no trouble with it.
Unfortunately there's not too much jetski action on Fishing.net, so if you want a wider audience and more opinions/recommendations you may have to venture onto the Facebook jetski fishing pages
“My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.”
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 9:33pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah not a very big jetski following on here, alot more on facebook as said. I've also got the elite 5 HDI on my ski, but not the chirp model. It seems to work well enough for me, I havent had much experience with other sounders though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 9:40pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Carl, John, Coxie appreciate your responses.
I'm new to Ski fishing & am about to set up a new FXHO cruiser so would like to get it right first time, hence the enquiry.
I notice the A50D is now discontinued & the new models appear to be similar price.
Pete
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 10:59pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pete..  the a50d is old technology compared to the new chirp models..  You still can use standard fish finder mode or both chirp and standard mode side by side..
The fish finder is great on these and the structure pics are amazing... 
See if you can spot someone who has one on boat or ski and have a look for yourself...
The prices have come down quite a lot..  and with the exchange rate falling.. the prices can only go up from here...

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 6:55pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well guys having done a bit more homework & talking with Andrew I have decided to go with the A50D.
Happy with my decision but really appreciate you guys input.
Pete
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CarlW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 7:02pm
CarlW View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The A50D is old tech and that's what put me off buying one - like I said there's nothing wrong with them, but if you can get upgraded units for the same/similar price why not.

One big thing you need to consider though is water resistance and how it will hold up to the conditions on a ski. Most fish finder head units are designed to be installed in a relatively dry boat dash. On a ski the FF is very exposed and can get very wet, and sometimes with the speeds you do salt water can be effectively blasted at the head unit. On the FXHO, I could be wrong, but I don't believe the head unit can be flush mounted on/around the glove box (like Coxie's??), so it will be very exposed. I've got a cover on mine which keeps most of the water off and prevents water being blasted into it.
So could pay to check with the dealer whether whatever model you go for is suitable for a ski, or even if it could void the warranty being used in those conditions??
“My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.”
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 7:15pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Carl I learnt a lot today whilst talking this through with Andrew.
He has installed many of these units & I was pleased to see that the unit has gone through a presale process to make it Ski ready.
All that said I'm under no illusion & fully realise the care I take with it is what will determine it's longevity & return me value for money.
The custom cover is a great idea & a bit of a must too.
I'm not that bothered that it's older tech I'm more interested in good value & functionality.
Pete
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 7:54pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Did you win lotto Pete? Wink dont spend your retirement fund all at once eh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 7:13am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

not even
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Devon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:40am
Devon View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good choice, I like my A50D unit. Does everything I need it to do. Its been on the ski for 130 hours, a lot of which in less than ideal conditions, never covered and haven't had water ingress issues 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 4:23pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Devon that's really good to hear, thanks mate.
Pete
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 5:41pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All it needs to do is show fish IMO if it does that who cares about chirp etc! LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 5:56pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Your a man of few words Mups, I do like that!
On a serious note gonna have platinum charts so will use the GPS a bit to.
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 6:07pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh yeah GPS is handy if your doing big yards. But really the unit needs only to show any sign of fish and your in. I have a Lowrance Elite 7 with downscan never use it just use normal FF mode. I don't like side scan etc it leaves little to the imagination I likew to try and interpret what is on the screen.

That's what I like to see Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 6:22pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Likewise Muppet, my sounders also got the DSI option but I prefer to just use normal sonar... And I think a GPS with maps is a must have, its handy for finding & marking structure and fish sign, good for safety reasons if you're fishing areas you're unfamiliar and is just an all round extremely use full tool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:03pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep Coxie you hit all the points I will get lots of value out of the GPS function.
Really looking forward to putting the theory into practise.
Tight lines
PE Pete