Assist rigs on stickbaits

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Assist rigs on stickbaits
    Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 9:37pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is there any reason I shouldn't use an assist rig with single hook from a jig on a stickbait instead of treble hooks? I'm completely new to stickbaiting but I fish from a ski so want to eliminate any change of getting a treble in any part of my body... 

I ordered some shogun inline hooks but 9/0 was the smallest I could find (wanted 7/0), got them anyway and sure enough theyre probably a bit big but i'm going to run the shogun on the rear and just put a shortened assist rig off a jig on the belly hook, is there any reason why I havent seen anyone else doing this?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 10:34pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've done exact same thing even down to squid skirt it helps keel the bait.
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 11:09pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I figured if it works on a jig then can't go too wrong on a stickbait, just don't see it often... if anything the squid skirt may look like a flying fishes wing which can only be good for targetting kingfish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 12:41am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think the reason you wont see a squid skirt used on an assist on stickbaits is it will reduce the action and movement of the lure....... Its not gonna be very erratic or have much roll if the skirt is acting like a drouge
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boxee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 9:10am
Boxee View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey Coxie, pretty sure Jigstar do the inline singles in smaller sizes.

I use assists on the big Magic Swimmers, mainly as I don't trust the connections between each part. But I've seen poppers rigged for GTs that way as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ginga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 9:10am
ginga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

When I've tried it I had issues with hooks straightening out, these were really heavy duty hooks that I had used for years with no issues on jigs. No idea why but must have some different leveredge going on
www.extremesportfishing.co.nz.
Agent for Carpenter, Orion and ASWB products

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 12:45am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Titahi Titahi wrote:

I think the reason you wont see a squid skirt used on an assist on stickbaits is it will reduce the action and movement of the lure....... Its not gonna be very erratic or have much roll if the skirt is acting like a drouge
I would second thisWink........with blooper poppers ok but not a zig zaggy stickbait.....7/0 inline shoguns with 9mm splits or jigstar inlines(not sure what size/Chris wong would know as he sells both your  starwalker lure(KY) and hooks).........the 9/0 will weigh it down a bit as well/which will be to the detriment of the lure.............with 7/0 and 9mm split.......the head pops back up pretty quick after the stroke.............believe me i spent ages dicking about with owner 3/0 trebs (all) or belly treb and single on the end......I found shogun inline 7/0 and 9mm splits the best with both your lure and the shimano ocea pencil..Dont go too heavy on the leader either...Hope this helpsWink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.