what do we spend?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what do we spend?
    Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 7:27pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The figures below are for Tasmania population 550thousand?

http://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/Documents/Whats%20_the_Catch_Brochure.pdf

In 2012-13 recreational fishers spent an average of $1000 per person on recreational fishing, with total expenditure in Tasmania estimated at $93 million. This included $22 million on capital items (boats, electronics and trailers), $30 million on boat operating costs (fuel, maintenance, insurance and storage), $11 million 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 11:10pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Relaxing in the outdoors with family and friends were the most important reasons for going fishing for over two-thirds of recreational fishers surveyed.

Consuming and catching fish were less important with only around a quarter of fishers saying that this was their primary motivation for fishing. 

The vast majority of fishers surveyed indicated that they preferred to retain enough fish for ‘a feed’ rather than catching bag limits.

would love to see the faces of the Comm's after they read this.

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 8:38pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It will be great to get an independent, international researcher to generate the economic contribution off recreational fishing in New Zealand.

Imagine all the jobs in wholesale, retail, boat manufacture and sales, charter boats, clubs and competitions, accommodation, international tourism, bait, fishing media, etc generated from recreational fishing.

This has to be more value than bulk commercial harvesting, packing and distribution of fresh or frozen whole fish.  The foreign charter boats fishing some species return even less. 

The government needs to see there are more Kiwi jobs in high quality recreational fishing than high volume low value commercial catch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 11:28pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quote.....The government needs to see there are more Kiwi jobs in high quality recreational fishing than high volume low value commercial catch....Quote

I don't see the govt caring while they get income from both sides.  They will not see that income from rec could be increased more than comm and more safely at that.
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 2:53am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

i would like to think the more fish in the sea would produce greater awareness of the environment plus a much better return for charters that serve overseas tourist that come here to target our fish, the easier it is to catch fish the greater the return rate and increased new customers. 
its just a matter of time before the word gets out that your bound to land a good sized king/puka/trev/snapper, the money to be made from these adventures would be well in excess of what the Comm's manage without the destruction of the environment.
lets hope it all comes together sooner than later...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 7:30am
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

i would like to think the more fish in the sea would produce greater awareness of the environment plus a much better return for charters that serve overseas tourist that come here to target our fish, the easier it is to catch fish the greater the return rate and increased new customers. 
its just a matter of time before the word gets out that your bound to land a good sized king/puka/trev/snapper, the money to be made from these adventures would be well in excess of what the Comm's manage without the destruction of the environment.
lets hope it all comes together sooner than later...

I agree, but I still think it is unlikely the government will see that. MPI would not like like it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 8:10am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree.lethal.same fish could be caught 2/3 times.photographs release then what would that fish be worth? Comma catch it once and only get paid once.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 9:07am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My perception is we dont hear too much from the charter industry lobby????
Then throw in the marine ' supply ' side of things... boat manufactures, retailers, service companies, then throw in the retail shops, H&F, top catch, etc.
Now throw all those into a organised lobby basket... along with rec fish organisations.

That now becomes one hell of a powerful lobby group... financially, and its ability for publicity and marketing of concepts ideas.

I recon a  Tourist and Recreational fishing Industry organisation would definitely shake a few boots... and more importantly together their combined representation and financial base achieve a lot in a short time.

I dont understand how this has not happened before now.. it seems to make good business sense from the point of view of commercial interests.. not just preventing so many recent closures but to expand the industry...
And if it is to expand, it needs better fishing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 9:25am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

legasea is/has package together and all the above is under way and results next march?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 9:48am
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sure the fishing industry in NZ create jobs and income from a natural renewable resource. They could do better by not using foreign charter vessels with exploited cheap labour and appalling working conditions, but that has to change soon. 
MPI and the Government know that 90% of the commercial catch is of deep water fish and squid.  They also know that aquaculture has more growth potential than wild stock fisheries.

The recreational fishing industry has not been described, defined or valued.  I would expect that like Australia and USA that the economic contribution of recreational fishing and associated industries that use it as a spring board for exporting boats and gear and TV shows would be huge.  Tourism just passed Dairy as our largest earner of overseas funds.

We reckon that recreational fishers take about 6% of the total NZ catch but create more jobs and tax revenue for the government than the fishing industry.  How much more will be really useful to know.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 10:44am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The government is not the slightest bit interested in what we spend. Totally off their radar.
They are interested in filling commercial quota for export. We have a government department under the guise of fisheries management that makes sure quota is filled,and adjusts size limits and recreational size and bag limits accordingly. Yes we all know that recreational fishing and international tourist fishing should be given significant place in earning dollars from our fishery.That is where much of the future lies. Equally it lies with some sustainable high dollar wild inshore fishery commercial fishing,often in the form of smaller family business.
But world wide governments are mostly  lazy,inept,not innovative and bought by big corporations that have far more power than any government will ever have. Problem is small new and innovative business dont get a look in to a resource that is government controlled as it is here .Any change to the perception of our fisheries will have to come from a change of thinking within government. Change is usually too hard to consider.

Two years ago this month there was much noise about impending snapper cuts. Publicity ,meetings and generally a lot of imput from recreational.
Since then what has changed despite all efforts.  Nothing much.
So we had the pro active recreational and small business who were either ignored or shot down in flames,and the reactive which includes the government and big corporates who have the ear of government. So not surprisingly we are still at the bottom of the pecking order. Thats the way it is.
And when our stressed inshore fisheries finally collapse the reactive will wring their hands ,saying what shall we do. Too late then. And that is when farmed fish will become the new big industry. That will be a sad day for N.Z . It will be like another industry that had declined recently.
More and more countries are farming fish,less & less consumers with choice are buying it. Farmed fish has many environmental and toxicity issues for consumers. That industry is a knee jerk reaction from not looking after wild fisheries. We must look after the wild fisheries. First and foremost.
So lets hope that maybe the value of recreational and tourism fishing will some day be recognised.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 10:48am
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

legasea is/has package together and all the above is under way and results next march?

I am very happy to have Legasea doing their thing.   Supporting them seems the best thing I can do currently.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 11:12am
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cirrus.  The Minister is making decisions on the best use of our natural resource with no information on the economic contribution of recreational fishing and associated industries. A vital part of this project will be to ensure that the results are presented to the public and politicians clearly and convincingly in a summary document, so that they get the recognition they deserve.

The method and results need to stand up to scrutiny and will be published in a peer reviewed scientific journal as well. 

We will do this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 1:51pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks John H
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 12:26pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

When I say WE WILL DO THIS that includes you.

You and me need to help raise the money through the NZ Marine Research Foundation, a registered charitable trust. The target is $100 k 
That is just 2000 people giving $50.  WE need to push a bit harder to make this happen.  Get some help from your mates and give a little.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 12:47pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

have asked it to be put in our clubs newsletter
spread on social media
this have dropped info of to our local marine shops,have 2 more to go on wednesday as they are out of town.
conned my boys to donate this weeks pocket money and they did!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 12:51pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great stuff
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 9:08pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

I think I must have got the "wrong end of the stick " somehow & would love to be proven wrong but my take on all of this is that it is likely to be counter productive.
As I understand it we are being asked to help compile a total of the amount spent on recreational 
fishing related activity that will in turn be presented to government.

If we take typical examples to be rods, reels, hooks, lures, softbaits, nylon, fluorocarbon, electronic gizmos, clothing, outboards, marine engines, fuel etc. etc. etc. then these are almost 100% imported items
that are surely costing the country rather than bolstering the economy. Furthermore if we take boats, yachts etc into contention then despite providing employment opportunities if they are made here in NZ they are nevertheless using a lot of imported materials & unless they are being exported are surely adding to the drain on overseas funds. 

I would suggest compiling a total figure of the cost to the country is hardly likely to influence politicians to be sympathetic to our chosen fraternity. On the contrary I could se them using it as an excuse to levy a tax on amateur fishing equipment & almost certainly use such info to justify instigating licences to fish.

Please ... please convince me my way of thinking is wrong !!    
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 11:01pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sure
Expenditure is part of the equation. Expenditure by tourists on fishing trips earns NZ overseas funds. All the boat manufactures that export now started by building for local market.  Sure a lot is spent on imported goods but all of those will have a wholesale and retail margin that supports New Zealand jobs.  Plus the accommodation, travel, charters, marinas, boat maintenance, fishing media etc which has a high local labour input.   
Bazza did you see the thread from Aus where the Federal Government was quoting the value of the recreational fishing industry in Australia and pledged $50 m new spending to improve recreational fishing. 
I wonder how much tax Sealord has paid in the last five years.  It certainly hasn't paid a dividend to the owners.
I wonder what the GST take on recreational fishing was last year.  15% of a big number is still a big number. 

The economist will say that we would just spend it on some other recreational activity if there was no fishing.  I can't think of other sports costing what a boat, and tow vehicle, or marina, plus rods and tackle do.  In fact people would probably go overseas and fish and that's just taking funds out of NZ and exporting jobs.