bought a lemon - steadecraft

Page  123 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bought a lemon - steadecraft
    Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 11:12am
Shaunus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So my luck with boats hasn't been great.. been fishing on it once, and dam near sunk it! :(

I am now the not so proud owner of a 1980 5 meter Steadecraft. The fiberglass sealed floor has come away from the hull from bow to stern along the starboard side, and a very noticeable inward bulge appeared visible underneath the boat at the stern starboard side.

The floor came away on the trip back home as the weather turned and got a bit choppy (nothing terrible though, maybe 0.5 meter to 1 meter swell). I was very careful coming back, but a bit of hull slapping was unavoidable (with my skills anyway). By the time I got it back, the boat was pretty much full of water, and the back of the boat was pretty much at water level! ekkk

I have had someone take a quick glance at it,.. it would appear that the transom is ok.

Anyone got any advice? (other than get a new one)! It was quite cheap. Would it be repairable? Or should I just write it off? What would be the cost of investigation?

Many thanks... again,
Shaun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 11:53am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very hard for anyone to comment from a written  description.  Perhaps put some photos up. 

Fibreglass is highly repairable.  The question may be whether it is worth the expense, as materials are often expensive.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 11:58am
Shaunus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

fair point,.. ill take a few pics tonight. Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 3:05pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What area are you in?  Steve Pennington boats do a lot of this work in Auckland but is not cheap - I would get a professional opinion as to what problem is and what needs to be done - then if you have skills do it yourself or pay them if money is no problem.  They will be able to say if repairable or not - my worry would be that someone has already repaired and not done properly and made it worse.... 
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 3:09pm
Shaunus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm in auckland,.. I've actually already emailed Steve Pennington, they were top of the search engine list.

I've heard stuff like this isnt cheap,.. I'm fairly confident that someone bodged it to sell it. I'm feeling pretty sure that its a write off,.. but I thought I'd post here to see if someone had any ideas.

To be honest,.. im thinking bite the bullet and buy a tinny hull only from somewhere and repower it with the mariner from this :(
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 3:32pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fibreglass technical  is my profession . Ive just finished a rebuild of a V156 Steadecraft cabin with sterndrive. Call me and I'll have a look for ya. Im in Papamoa.....cheersBig smile
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 3:43pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If it was bodged to sell that's pretty despicable, someone could have drowned in that if things had gone differently.  But when you post some pics I'm sure you'll get some good advice. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote straks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 5:10pm
straks007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

PM sent Shaun as we went through a similar issue with our boat. I can also highly recommend Steve Pennington Boat Repairs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 5:30pm
Platinum
Platinum

Dale Fibreglass Ltd. Rosebank Rd. Avondale. Peter Montgomerie.

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote No Regrets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 8:18pm
No Regrets View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Turn it into a FAD and buy another boat, best of both worlds
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 8:22pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheap boats are normally cheap for a reason i have a mate that is a boat builder and bloody good at it east auckland if ya want drop me a pm

http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 2:02pm
Shaunus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All,

So here are the pics:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 2:03pm
Shaunus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I couldnt agree more Kevin,.. its proper #$^@# aye! I had a few choice words for him that's for sure but unfortunately no comeback. The guy actually moved to Ausi too,.. lets hope he stays there!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 2:21pm
Platinum
Platinum

It's not difficult to to repair. Smelly, dusty just the nature of polyester resin. You just need the right people to assist you. Where are you?.....

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 2:29pm
Shaunus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Walu Walu wrote:

It's not difficult to to repair. Smelly, dusty just the nature of polyester resin. You just need the right people to assist you. Where are you?.....

I live just near Glenfield, Auckland. I'm so wet behind the ears with this stuff I wouldn't know where to start,.. its probably why im in this situation in the first place :(
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 2:33pm
Platinum
Platinum

Pm me your ph number or ph my mob, and I'll assist you.....

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 1:05pm
Shaunus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Boat is utta rubbish! :( everything is completely rotten,.. I have no idea what to do with it now. Anyone wanna super cheap project? :(
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 1:11pm
Platinum
Platinum

Put a new floor and interior in it.....it's not hard work...a bit dirty but not hard.
Ring me

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 1:46pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Walu Walu wrote:

Pm me your ph number or ph my mob, and I'll assist you.....

That's bloody nice of you to help another member - you will get good Karma - what goes around comes around. Hope you win lotto
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 1:57pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You've got three choices really Shaunus.  Bite the bullet and go for it and repair it yourself (great offer from Walu to advise you, he knows his stuff).  Stick it on trademe for $1 reserve, being honest about condition, and try to get some money back.  Or part it out and sell everything individually, motor, trailer, fittings, etc -this will take some effort but will recover more cash than selling it as a job lot.

Although repairing it would get you the best outcome, I've been in a similar situation so do understand how you feel right now.  I ended up selling it off as a project as the wife couldn't stand the sight of it on the drive any more and just taking the financial hit.  It's difficult to get much enthusiasm going when you're that fed up with the thing.

Good luck.
Page  123 5>