bought a lemon - steadecraft

Page  <1234 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 2:25pm
Shaunus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thanks all,.. ill take some pics when i get it back. not sure how i feel really,.. apart from annoyed.

I'll give you a call after work Walu, appreciate it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fritzhu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 3:32pm
fritzhu View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Shaunus, I'm in Albany on the North Shore, if you need a hand feel free to send me a PM. I'd be happy to give you a hand to fix it. Have done quite a bit of fibreglass work in the past, got the tools and so on.

Don't despair, often fixing a fibreglass boat is less daunting than it seems :-) just think of all the fish you could load on it once it's done. No greater satisfaction than knowing that you've fixed it yourself :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 3:02am
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What about an insurance claim?
I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 8:34am
Shaunus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by CEEBEE CEEBEE wrote:

What about an insurance claim?

Thought about that,.. unfortunately it would be considered pre-existing so they would'nt pay out on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 8:36am
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

fritzhu has the right idea.....
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 12:04pm
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

If it was bodged to sell that's pretty despicable, someone could have drowned in that if things had gone differently.  But when you post some pics I'm sure you'll get some good advice. 
I agree, I would be taking the crap back and getting my money back, and giving it to the sellers. Maybe they need to start WOF on boats
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 12:38pm
Shaunus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by rahui rahui wrote:

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

If it was bodged to sell that's pretty despicable, someone could have drowned in that if things had gone differently.  But when you post some pics I'm sure you'll get some good advice. 
I agree, I would be taking the crap back and getting my money back, and giving it to the sellers. Maybe they need to start WOF on boats

If I could I would,..but the guy sold up and left for ausi,.. i have no idea how to get hold of him. unfortunately, I'm, stuck with it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 1:44pm
Platinum
Platinum

Fix it.....you'll end up with a good strong boat that you can trust

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fritzhu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 1:58pm
fritzhu View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Walu Walu wrote:

Absolutely! Done that three times myself now and it never gets old. Even launching it is an occasion every time, it's just something that much more special than a "store-bought one".

What I like most about it is, once you've gotten up to speed, then you can modify your own boat to fit you and what you like to do like a glove.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 2:01pm
Shaunus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I wish I shared the confidence :) ! I hope its not as expensive as I think it is too :/ appreciate all the help though, whatever the outcome :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 2:17pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by fritzhu fritzhu wrote:

Originally posted by Walu Walu wrote:

Absolutely! Done that three times myself now and it never gets old. Even launching it is an occasion every time, it's just something that much more special than a "store-bought one".

What I like most about it is, once you've gotten up to speed, then you can modify your own boat to fit you and what you like to do like a glove.

Exactly and that's what I've done

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fritzhu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 2:19pm
fritzhu View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice! :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 4:09pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sorry to hear that bro. but not the end of the world. just think once its repaired you got a good boat.

i like how in oz you can ring up for a mobile marine technician to do an evaluation of your hull and engine. like an AA pre purchase check. really need more of that in NZ.

where you located? maybe some of the glass experienced guys on here might offer some help and advice. thats what part of being a community is about.

edit: NVM Walu the super hero is onto it. Good on ya.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 4:25pm
Platinum
Platinum

This has been an interesting thread to watch.
The reason many of us have ceased doing inspections is due to the cost of professional indemnity insurance required versus the returns/income we achieve.
Our reports are legally binding.

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 6:16pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I understand Walu, but its no different for a lot of professions. IT guys need indemnity professional and public liability, which costs minimym $700 a year and you need to retain it for 7 years even if you have stopped working in IT. That all needs to be factored into the cost of negotiating a contract. Something most IT guys are not use to as they havnt worked overseas and NZ contractors are largely oblivious to legal ramifications.

I think the OZ companies do it by bulk and the guy that gets sent out is not the owner, he just gets paid a wage, from memory they charge an hourly rate, about $50 PH which is not much, to include things like the insurance you mention.

So perhaps its not cost effective in NZ.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 6:43pm
Platinum
Platinum

I agree.
That's why I've retired and go Fishn

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 9:32am
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

$700/year for PI cover for IT? ****e, I need to change professions.  My industry is now running like $35K/year, just plain highway robbery.  You need it to get the jobs though, but the catch-22 is that every ******* that needs us to work for them chokes at the price and can't understand why so expensive (yet still requires PI...). 

Even with a quick run down of cost they think they are being fleeced blind, yet from our end barely making a living... 

The easiest way around the legalities of inspections is only give verbal reports.  It's the paper that kills it in the end, get rid of the paper and no worries.  Having said that, a few owners wishing to sell have not been best pleased when I've looked at a boat for a mate and gone 'it's a death trap'!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 2:33pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Keeping in mind the risk involved and cost is equal to what you are doing in IT. For me there is almost no risk so $700 a year x 7 years (even if i quit the work, u need to legally keep it going) is $5k for almost nothing.

back on track. best bet buying a boat seeing as we cant get pre inspections in NZ is to take a knowledgeable mate, or borrow one off her for a case of beer and a fish in it ;-p
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 3:25pm
Platinum
Platinum

Get a surveyor report.Costs more then it's done properly. Factor it into the purchase offer/agreement.

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 3:47pm
Shaunus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

This Forum is amazing! So many kind offers and I appreciate them all....

Following the advice from Walu and very kind offer from Fritzhu to show me some of the tips and tricks, I decided to rebuild the boat myself.

Massive thanks to Fritzhu for allowing me to store the boat at his home and use his tools!

We've made quite a bit of progress since starting and I'll just pop the pictures on here to where we have got to!

First thing we set to work on was tearing out the old floor too see what we were in for! Pretty much everything original was rotten through, and the bodge repair consisted of a few bits of wood tacked to the side of a rotten stringer, a new floor and cross members all barely shown  the paint brush! :

Originally, we were going to just remove the rot from inside the glass but after starting decided that removing 90% of the glass as well was probably the best way. Using the old tramlines to stand up the new stringers in.

Fritzhu cutting the tops off before we decided to cut more off

Digging out all the rot - it was at this point I decided nah,.. new glass please :)

What a MESS!

X10!

So one the clean up was finished,.. we decided to leave the front and rear stringers in for support whilst we complete the side stringers. Once they were cut to length, only one side had usable tram lines to fit into. To make sure everything stayed straight, we screwed to two sides together and glued them in:

Looking a little tidier now aye!

Once cured, I fared them in and removed the weights

Once this cured,.. time to remove the braces, cut to size and route the edges, sand and prepare for the glass :)

More to come - I'll be glassing these in tonight :)

Page  <1234 5>