Any downside to use freediving suit for scuba?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qkrwogud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any downside to use freediving suit for scuba?
    Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 11:01am
Qkrwogud View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

As both a free and scuba diver, I'm just using a scuba suit at the moment for both activities. I'm told the freediving suits are a lot water because they stick to your skin and no water gets in. I had an experience to support this claim when I was at the chicks, I started getting cold after a few hours, buddy diver was completely fine and I don't think my tolerance for cold is any lower than my buddy.

From what I understand, the theory of the scuba suit was that a bit of water gets in and stays, which gets warm and keeps you warm. While in reality water comes and goes frequently, taking the heat with it. So I'm thinking to sell my scuba suit and get a free diving one instead assuming there are no real disadvantages.
Probably thinking to do the same with my fins and use free diving ones for both.

Your thoughts would be appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DiveDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 8:25pm
DiveDR View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The only real downside to the freedive suit is the extra care required when putting it on and taking it off - plenty of lube is required.

Free dive fins will also work fine for scuba but just don't be to hard on them kicking off the bottom.

I would suggest buying a good international brand of suit and fins if you want them to last. Some of the cheap NZ brands are not up to scuba and will not last.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bennybent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 6:33pm
bennybent View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i use a wettie workhorse around otago for both freediving and scuba, awesome suit always warm just spray plenty of lube on the suit before getting in  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 10:44am
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use one of the Rob Allen ones from Splash, apart from compression over the knees it's held up well (5mm version).  I'm construction diving, and I use it in warm water or when I can't be arsed diving in a drysuit.  It's probably done something like 65 days of diving more or less over the 3 years I've had it and it's still functional (but a little tired around the seems and the like) and the rest of the time it's been folded up in my gear bag.  That's a lot of hours under water and even more getting abused in the bag...

As far as lube, a bit of baby shampoo in a 750ml pump bottle half in the top and half in the longjohn and I've never had any issue getting into it...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qkrwogud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 11:01am
Qkrwogud View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What do you mean compression over the knees?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 12:48pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Compression = Neoprene uses its 'spongyness' over time due to stretch and water pressure. Compressed wetsuit is thinner = less insulating
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hkt_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 1:42pm
hkt_up View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Main thing I 've noticed with a open cell suit is they are not as hard wearing, if you're dragging yourself over rocks or diving sharp snaggy terrain on scuba in a open cell suit they are easier to rip than a traditional. The upside is flexibility, they are much less restrictive and easier to breath in, and they are very warm for their thickness. The warmth factor is negated a bit if scuba diving at depth as they seem to compress easier offering less insulation. A mate summed it up well once, a closed cell suit is like a '98 Toyota surf, will do most things asked of it and is reasonably tough, a good closed cell suit is more like a Ferrari, and should be treated accordingly. Having both suits would be my advice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grasshoppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 2:31pm
Grasshoppa View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by hkt_up hkt_up wrote:

a closed cell suit is like a '98 Toyota surf, will do most things asked of it and is reasonably tough, a good closed cell suit is more like a Ferrari, and should be treated accordingly. Having both suits would be my advice.

umm, do i need a surf or ferrari, 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 7:27pm
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Main thing I 've noticed with a open cell suit is they are not as hard wearing, if you're dragging yourself over rocks or diving sharp snaggy terrain on scuba in a open cell suit they are easier to rip than a traditional. The upside is flexibility, they are much less restrictive and easier to breath in, and they are very warm for their thickness. The warmth factor is negated a bit if scuba diving at depth as they seem to compress easier offering less insulation. A mate summed it up well once, a closed cell suit is like a '98 Toyota surf, will do most things asked of it and is reasonably tough, a good closed cell suit is more like a Ferrari, and should be treated accordingly. Having both suits would be my advice.

Ah, so what does that make a drysuit then? Luxury motoring????
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mmetaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 8:43am
Mmetaylor View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great info, everyone. Looking to get into diving. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hkt_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 11:37am
hkt_up View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Busted! Busted! wrote:

Main thing I 've noticed with a open cell suit is they are not as hard wearing, if you're dragging yourself over rocks or diving sharp snaggy terrain on scuba in a open cell suit they are easier to rip than a traditional. The upside is flexibility, they are much less restrictive and easier to breath in, and they are very warm for their thickness. The warmth factor is negated a bit if scuba diving at depth as they seem to compress easier offering less insulation. A mate summed it up well once, a closed cell suit is like a '98 Toyota surf, will do most things asked of it and is reasonably tough, a good open cell suit is more like a Ferrari, and should be treated accordingly. Having both suits would be my advice.

Ah, so what does that make a drysuit then? Luxury motoring????

A winnebago? Big smile

I'm not a fan, I get floaty legs in a dry suit and find ankle weights etc a pain.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 10:29pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I don't get the whole "floaty leg" thing in a dry suit.

I can only guess you have to much weight on and are carrying to much air in your suit instead of your bcd?

If you have to much air it will squeeze your neck as well if you go upright and are overweighted.

Steel tanks help a lot I think.

My mate dives in his Wettie and loves it, both his old suit and his drysuit are going rotten on the shelf...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hkt_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 11:20pm
hkt_up View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Garry 23041 Garry 23041 wrote:

I don't get the whole "floaty leg" thing in a dry suit.

I can only guess you have to much weight on and are carrying to much air in your suit instead of your bcd?

Suit was pretty empty Garry, weight was good, if I found myself digging around head down feet up for any length of time any air would always make its way to my feet and I'd have trouble getting it to leave, just swimming around and pulling bugs from flat cracks and not getting inverted it was never a problem. Don't use one anymore, thought a few mates do and love them. Guess it depends on the type of terrain you are diving, body type, suit fit, etc... each to their own I guess.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 6:44pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

absolutely.

Most of my friends don't dive dry suits and unless you are skinny and get cold like I do it's not required.

I do like it when it's cold and blowing a bit and I complain after the dive if I step on the deck getting out of my suit and my sock gets wet!

That draws down some fire...