Fiber optic ISPs

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiber optic ISPs
    Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 6:40am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The fiber has been installed in our street about 4 months ago.
Kids are chewing thru my wireless data cap/plan most months.
Maybe time to hook up to the fiber.
Anyone got feedback on your ISP dedicated to fiber?
myrepublic has a 45 day trial period from new install.
Uncapped around $120 a month with no contract package.
And is the fiber delivering the juice you were promised?
As in streaming TV/movies etc.
I note that the chinese outfit that won the fiber/hardware supply contract,has been refused work in the USA,Aus,EU and other jurisdictions due to cyber security concerns (read spying)
Though the NSA had no issues spying thru any of the other fiber networks.
Cheerz
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 10:16am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I saw an ad on this site for these guys, seems a reasonable deal.   https://www.wxc.co.nz/residential/fusion/   fibre is being laid down our street now, so should be able to get it soon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 6:37pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheerz Kevin.
those download speeds seem to be X3 less than myrepublic.
Real time speed test during rush hour should see whom is pushing the advertised boundries I guess.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 5:09pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ended up going with snap/2degrees.
Got a 30/10 unlimited data cap plan for $89 per month + a phone with unlimited NZ & Aus calls for an extra $15.
NZ support apparently.12 month contract.
6 month free Neon plan thrown in.
They recommend you use their router(Fritzbox)so they can remotely work on any issues.
Only have until the end of this year to have the instal from the street to ONT on your property done for free.Thats with any ISP.
Chorus is to do the site scope out and install.
Snap has given me a date in August for install.
Will see how good the transition goes.
can`t be any worse than the 3/1 speeds I`m getting atm with a 50Gig data cap.
Cheerz

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 5:20pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We are on fusion unlimited data VDSL in Mt Albert Akld - 5 users used 400GB last month seems to work fine - no complaints.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 7:17pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

MacS.
Isn`t VDSL copper?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 4:45pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep,all installed now.
Speeds 10 x faster the before with the wireless.
Now will start the routing of Ethernet Cat 6 cables to the other fixed device areas.
Seems to have a snowball effect when the kids and I tell our work mates about the fibre install process/improvements.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 10:39am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by 3rnzir 3rnzir wrote:

Yep,all installed now.
Speeds 10 x faster the before with the wireless.
Now will start the routing of Ethernet Cat 6 cables to the other fixed device areas.
Seems to have a snowball effect when the kids and I tell our work mates about the fibre install process/improvements.

Think about it before jumping in..
1/ The data speeds... IF u actually NEED them, in most cases are your D/Load speed , not upload.
On adsl with 16 meg down 1.2 up 1.2 is enough tom run a basic web server , 2 or 3 web sites and several domain name mail servers.. plus basic family wireless use.

2/ The connection goes to your router/ modem...if u then connect via wireless , that straight way limits any fast connection between router and phone tablet PC etc....If only limited in the router to only couple wireless channels with more household connections that then congests things up big time. Therefore to take advantage of your new fast connection... hard wire with CAT 5 or 6....and even better have a router with 1000 meg connections along with any switch in between... And preferably 1000 meg rather than 100 meg Ethernet connections on the PC laptops etc.

3/ VDSL has excellent downloads way above ADSL2, this will handle most small business and home connections , unless u do a lot of uploading to the cloud.. like ADSL and ADSAL2 it has around 1 meg upload

Maybe not quite as relivent now, but when ADSL was upgraded to ADSL2.. the ISPs did not upgrade the router modems to ADSL2.. or if u had a ADSL2 router, it was not reconfigured to run the around 3 times faster ADSL2

So before jumping on the bandwagon...work out if u actually NEED that speed in the household or small business....
And If do, to take advantage u will need to look seriously at hard wiring each item to the router rather than wireless.

And another thing to consider.. static ips...if u run your own 'cloud' ftp web or mail servers...many isps charge extra, and many dont have this service... even with upgraded VDSL and optic.. which then means u will then need to run Remote DNS services such as  No-ip.

Basically all the  Very Important stuff they DONT tell u in the sales pitch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 5:17am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Steps.
Good reply/advice.
Yep,I will be going the Ethernet cable set up for my PCs.
Kids can go wireless with the Fritzbox router duel band.
Snap/2degrees have been a bit slow on supplying the Fritzfon with the plan I signed up for.
Maybe they had to wait for a shipment of these phones to arrive?
Got cell phones as back up so not a biggie.
Will have a crack at setting up a home server in the basement.
And included a switch with a 1-10 Gig capacity.
And try and tidy up all these data cables in the computer room upstairs.
May try the PoE cables to supply juice to the phones and other devices.
Plan to experiment and splice up my own data cables too.
Only took the crew from Chorus around 1.5 hrs to install the fibre.
They only dig down 200mm,less than a spade head depth.
Cheerz.