Fuel Prices - Marina to Marina

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote J-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Prices - Marina to Marina
    Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 6:51pm
J-D View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Team,

Hope you all had a great week. Just dropped the boat back in the water after having her bottom cleaned and decided to top the diesel tank up. 

I was happily surprised we had not used as much diesel as I thought but was gob smacked by something else . . . . .

Diesel at Orams - Westhaven - $1.08 a litre

Diesel at Gulf Habour - Petroleum Logistics - $1:41 a litre - that's dearer than the pump for vehicles!!!

Question - Is this the norm such a various between marina's?

Was very surprised Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 8:42pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

bucklands beach is about 5 cents dearer i guess at this time of year low turn over,gull if you dare 98c but have  had water issues.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 7:46pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Welcome to our world!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 8:15pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

J-D I have always found Gulf Harbour diesel expensive.
At the moment we have some honest competition at Westhaven with Orams and Petroleum Logistics offering great choice and lower prices. I paid $1.07 last Saturday at Westhaven plus get an additional marina berth holder discount from Petroleum Logistics. I fill from both sites alternating each trip.
That is the same Petroleum Logistics you have at Gulf Harbour.
We should be only paying about the same price at pumps on the main highway.
Gulf Harbour marina berth owners should be encouraging management to introduce a second supplier to spur some competition. Not before long.
I just hope that Orams stay in business. Auckland Council have built for Petroleum Logistics a very large facility at Westhaven with long berths and multiple pumping stations. But there are no petrol pumps. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 6:35pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

$1.48 at bucks today luckly i only need 10lt on way home went pass z station $1.05 so we are being ripped. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steve63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 9:29pm
Steve63 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

In terms of diesel I have historically found Orakei to consistently be the best pricing by a considerable margin and if you get a GullCard its even cheaper. Petroleum Logistics at Gulf Harbour are always significantly higher in cost, they run out of fuel, the pumps are slow and the receipt printer is often broken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote marlinmarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 11:14am
marlinmarty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just for relevance sake Gulf Harbour will be gettting a commission on fuel sales.
It's not in there interest to reduce prices
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jemry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 1:59pm
Jemry View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gave up on Petroleum Logistics at west haven earlier in the year.

Went to put fuel in, approx $200 worth, swiped card entered pump, pump didn't work, swiped card again to cancel transaction (luckily kept receipt) moved boat along and repeated, pump cut off before full (but was enough to get back to my marina). 
Checked card a few days later and $3000 had been held against it. A few days later one of the $1500 holds had dropped off but not the other, then spent the next month trying to get them to remove the second one as my bank had told me that it would not drop off as it needs a transaction to 'bump' it off and as there was a 'nil' or cancelled transaction the fuel company would need to remove it manually. Nope they had no idea how to do it ended up getting a letter from them to give to the bank who then removed it, found the fuel company extremely hard to deal with.
Extremely frustrating as we were due to fly out of the country and needed the funds on the card for bonds for rental cars etc.

I now take jerry cans down to my berth and have bought an electric diesel pump, job done quickly just a hassle to lug them down the pier.

Same company owns Gulf Harbour and you can enter the amount on the pump and thats all they hold.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:43pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

never had a problem at 1/2 moonbay marina
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:45pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by J-D J-D wrote:

Hi Team,

Hope you all had a great week. Just dropped the boat back in the water after having her bottom cleaned and decided to top the diesel tank up. 

I was happily surprised we had not used as much diesel as I thought but was gob smacked by something else . . . . .

Diesel at Gulf Habour - Petroleum Logistics - $1:41 a litre - that's dearer than the pump for vehicles!!!

Garage up the road is $1.42 a litre, local $1.40, South Island prices !

I cant remember it being $1.08 a litre here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dontpanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:37pm
dontpanic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Its been a $1.09 at Pine Harbour for every time we have filled since March
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 1:12am
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by reel crayze reel crayze wrote:

Originally posted by J-D J-D wrote:

Hi Team,

Garage up the road is $1.42 a litre, local $1.40, South Island prices !

I cant remember it being $1.08 a litre here.
Hey mate, that original post you quoted ($1.08/L) was "  Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 6:51pm "

Just an FYI.
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 7:18am
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Oh dear my bad ...Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote marlinmarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:26am
Platinum
Platinum

Spoke to petroleum logistics yesterday.
They reckon gulf harbour is compatible to other marina in auckland except westhaven as it has 3 or 4 times as many boats and anyone else and is next to fuel bunkers
Might be time for a Facebook page dedicated to marine fuel prices.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:55am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Check the prices at Orakei marina to see if they are like Gulf Harbour! About 40c/L cheaper I think today. Bottom line is that most marinas have no competition for fuel supply so they make pretty large margins. In Westhaven it used to be Orams and their predecessor at that spot that raped and pillaged on fuel pricing. Then the marina setup the new competing fuel dock with PL and they heavily undercut Orams. Orams then dropped their prices and after a year or two it has settled into a comfortable duopoly where there is usually not much to choose between the prices if you are on a Mobil/PL card at the marina and your credit card at Orams. If just paying straight off your credit card at both I think Orams might be a little less on average. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote marlinmarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 1:03pm
Platinum
Platinum

I can understand supply and demand even a modest cost differential.
40 cents a litre difference is hardly s no it difference
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 10:53am
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Pine Harbour Berth Holders Assn send out a fuel comparison at the start of every month.  Cheapest is usually Orakei.  One of the suppliers at westhaven and HMB are sometimes similar.  Others including Pine Harbour always 15-20c more expensive.

Pine Harbour did drop their price last year after berth holders complained - used to be 30-40c higher.

I usually fill up at Orakei - great well fendered jetty as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote marlinmarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 11:14pm
Platinum
Platinum

So instead of complaining anymore i did it
Set up a Facebook page
Marina Fuel Prices East Coast NZ
Check it out keen on feedback

https://www.facebook.com/marinafuelprices/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote marlinmarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 10:34pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hi JD
Can you explain your reference to a berthholder discount.
Nothing exists at Gulf Harbour like this.

"At the moment we have some honest competition at Westhaven with Orams and Petroleum Logistics offering great choice and lower prices. I paid $1.07 last Saturday at Westhaven plus get an additional marina berth holder discount from Petroleum Logistics. I fill from both sites alternating each trip."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 8:25am
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Why is Orams and PL so much cheaper than gas station pump diesel? Not that I’m complaining
Page  12>