Proposed marine park for Tutukaka

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proposed marine park for Tutukaka
    Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 9:07am
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 9:12am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

HALF bag limits. Don't like the sound of that. If that had been in force earlier this month Si and I would have had to cut the single fish we caught in half!!!

I like the idea of recreational only zones. The Hauraki Gulf came close to being that ... but its chief motivator , Allan Brewster, died before he could see it through.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 9:18am
Titanium
Titanium

Hey, I'd be able to catch my limit... Wait a minute, what's half of zilch?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 9:19am
Rockhopper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Blueprint drawn up for national park at sea

Planning is under way to create New Zealand's first marine national park off Northland's east coast.

The 1800sq km park, running north from Whangarei Heads to Cape Brett, would not be as restrictive as a marine reserve.

Recreational fishing would be allowed throughout 90 per cent of its area, but commercial fishing would be banned.

The concept originated from the Northland Conservation Board which wants feedback on the initiative from economic, social, cultural and environmentally sustainable viewpoints.

A proposal is now being floated by Jeroen Jongejans a director of Northland diving charter company Dive! Tutukaka, who is to present the plan and an accompanying discussion document to a Northland Regional Council meeting in Whangarei today.

Mr Jongejans said yesterday the park would be several steps down in environmental and fish stock protection levels from a formally designated marine reserve.

"We've seen issues around the proposed [Department of Conservation] reserve for Mimiwhangata and wherever a marine reserve is proposed, it seems to engender a lot of controversy.

"What we're proposing could be a blueprint for other places. It's about a level of protection for the marine environment and increasing fish stocks.

"We have national parks on land so why not at sea?"

The park discussion document suggests that recreational fishing would still be allowed over 1620sq km but with allowable catches of only half normal bag limits.

The 180sq km no-take zone would include the existing 20sq km Mimiwhangata no-take area and the current 24sq km area around the Poor Knights Islands.

Mr Jongejans said the rules would have to be simple.

There were also likely to be employment spin-offs through fishing, tourist and other charter operators working the area, as well as shore-based eco-enterprises supplementing the park's attractions.

Details of who would manage a park have not yet been decided and will be one of a number of issues still to be discussed in talks with the Department of Conservation, Ministry of Fisheries, Ngatiwai and other coastal hapu, Whangarei District Council, commercial and recreational fishers, charter operators and tourism representatives.

A public meeting may also be called to consider the proposal.

The regional council's manager of planning and policy, Glenn Mortimer, is recommending to today's council meeting that the marine national park concept should be supported in principle.

But he notes that for the proposal to advance, it would need support from DoC, the ministry and the district council.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectID=10350977

hmmm , hardly worth going to toots for a couple of snaps !!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 9:31am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fishing allowed in 90% of the area. For how long? Until some green b@stard decides it needs protecting.

I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 9:43am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Exactly Bushpig, isn't this the same way the reserve at the Knights got started? And the same "people" behind it.

From Bream Head to Cape Brett, that is a lot of accessable coastline being included.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 10:20am
Rockhopper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Where is this 180km no take zone ? doh , silly me the map is the no take zone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 10:34am
Tomsta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If it means still being able to fish recreationally. Anchor, Dive..etc. But excludes all commercial activity.... drag netting, long lining..etc. It can't be too bad can it?... May increase or help to preserve fish stocks and allow spawning season to get a fair go in this area....

Bring Back the Greens!!!

Don't Moan about it, Just Do it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ohsif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 10:44am
ohsif View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So how do you get on if you set out from Tutukaka but fish outside the marine park and catch your limit? Surely you cannot land back at Tutukaka. How much pressure does this area actually get and is it a known spawning area? With all the marine reserves and parks does this mean that other areas will have to stand more fishing pressure?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 10:51am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tomsta, the problem is that they propose halving the rec bag limit within the "park". So, lets say you have a boat based at Tutukaka, under this proposal if you want to go out and get a feed for the whole family you will have to go all the way up past Cape Brett or down to the Hen and Chicks.

Why?

This would be a major imposition for small boat and land based fisherman in this area, they would have to travel outside the area and what scientific basis has been used to set the proposed halving of bag limits?

It is proposed as a "Marine National Park", do we stop or half recreational activity in our land based National parks?

Also, do I believe that as soon as the "Marine Park" was established we wouldn't have the research community applying for grants to do studies on how the park status has singularly failed to increase the fish stocks so we will now have to upgrade the whole area to full reserve status so we can apply for grants to study etc etc etc.....

I would bet my house that the Minister of Conservation would be put on a boat and taken out into the area and convinced that it is a uniqe area and that all fishing is bad and that he should proclaim a reserve within 5 years. Deja vu .....you bet!!

There is currently 44 sq km of no take area within this zone, they propose that be inceased to 180 sq km, or by 400%. Don't loose sight of that as I suspect that the fall back postion will be..."well we'll forget the park but give us the increased no take zones in compensation"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 11:27am
The Dog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Too big too soon ,i agree with salty ...There is more to this agenda than they will ever tell the mortals....I like the no commercial but rec only part but with that much coast going into any sort of protective legslation i suspect the mortals are being lined up for another shafting....Why would they start all of a sudden and outta the blue caring about rec fishos concerns ,suspect they have learnt from the barrier debarcle "honesty costs money,better to slime the initial proposal just to get it out of the public arena' then once its before the commitee we will have a free reign to lock it like the knights(not that i have a problem with the knghts reserve its all good)

............I hope im wrong but suspicion abounds around this park....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 11:36am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Hmmm no sir I don't like it
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 11:41am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

TSW where are you...I was certain I had enough berley in the water.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 11:44am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tobes would be upset i think. isnt HSB in the proposed area
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 11:45am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Actually on 2nd read it doesnt look too bad.

So 90% of the area we can fish with half size bag limits and the other 10% ie the 180sq km no-take zone includes the existing 20sq km Mimiwhangata no-take area and the current 24sq km area around the Poor Knights Islands. 

So yeah no real change I guess. I never take my bag limit anyway, partly cuz I dont usually catch that much but also I never need that much. Just take enough for a feed and I'm good.

And no commercial fishing pressures? thats gotta be good

Just where this may lead to in the future is the worry...

LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 11:50am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

a 400% increase in the no take zones and halving of bag limits elswhere is "no real change"   ..........Yeah right
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 11:51am
Titanium
Titanium

If it's that simple, why don't they just say "Commercial fishing ban proposal"???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 11:52am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds all very well, BUT, like others have said, it is merely the thin end of the wedge I am sure, and before long, it would be moved from the marine park to a total marine reserve, you can bet yo' ass!

Stu.

It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 11:57am
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So half of our limit of 9 snapper each = 4.5 snapper per person.

Hmmm whats the bet they make it 4 p/p rather than 5p/p?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2005 at 12:05pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Its a bloody big area too.

This bloks who is proposing it doesn't actually sound very Kiwi does he? Perhaps he could take the idea "home" with him.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Page  12>