Looking for a Boat... needs to tick boxes

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MartinMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a Boat... needs to tick boxes
    Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 12:21pm
MartinMac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi been looking at boats past few weeks.  What to decide on anyones guess.... Need a 50/50/ split for leisure and fishing.. cabin would be ideal for the kids and possible overnighter.  Need to tow wakeboard so im swinging towards a fibrglass around the 15-20k bracket... seen a few on trade me bucaneers , leisure crafts and bonitos.... can someone offer any advice what worked for them in this scenario
or
Haines hunter 470 100 hrs but lack sleeping cushion space.. should i over look this bit for over nighters? price getting up there for this one.

Steadecraft 470 . motor with low  200hrs,... worth a look or not?  Heard they are front heavy.

thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 12:32pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Overnighting on a boat less than 5m?
will be cosy but alot of fun im sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MartinMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 12:33pm
MartinMac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

never tried it myself but very adventurous as well... how many do sleep out on htese types of boats?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 12:49pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alot of manufactured boats even in the early 6m range are not really set up properly in terms of bunks/cabin size for overnighting.
Depends on whats most important for you - our FC'S for example are set up for fishing more so cabin space is limited.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MartinMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 12:58pm
MartinMac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I guess it would be roughing it a bit. Its no the main focal point the overnighter. Have been following the FC boat page for some time had my heart set on 430 CC for ages but mrs has now come into picture and now the kids hence the split for fishing and cabin needed.. which i dont mind at long as it gets me out more!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 1:28pm
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Buccaneer 485 with 90 yam. Very big cabin for small sized boat.
"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 2:01pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'll be selling a Buccaneer 510 in a few weeks, like this one http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/auction-910472080.htm  but has a Yamaha 90, which is plenty for this boat -and it will be considerably cheaper than that one.  Better electronics too, and has a full canopy/rear cover if you wanted to overnight.  Drop me a PM if you're interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 2:05pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I would probably go for something along the lines of a Buccanner 4.8 or thereabouts. I owned a Seaways 470 (4.7m) a few years back and a mate and I often over-nighted on it. It had a good cabin to deck ratio - although I wouldn't have wanted the cabin any smaller.
I had a canopy made with a back drop, so we were completely enclosed at night. Even spent a mid-winter night on Lake Okataina - was freezing, but it was warm enough inside... 
If you want to sleep more than 2, then maybe have a look at the American-style boats that have cabins for two but also cockpit seats that fold out into beds, so you could sleep the whole family. Rayglass and Bayliners I'm thinking, although the kiwi-made boats are definitely more suited to our coastal waters.

There are heaps to choose from. I would suggest listing the top 5 or so priorities you're looking for, then start shopping around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 2:58pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

overnighting gets mentioned alot when people, me included, are boat shopping. and we are always told that most people never end up doing it.

good advice to not buy a boat for its overnighting ability. nor for its "missus appeal"! or for the family factor. as most boats get used for a quick fish 95% of the time.
but you seem to be getting good advice as far as boats in your budget. those buccaneers are a good all rounder.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 4:28pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Ah yes the family and overnighting etc. always a cosnideration.

The actual number of times you will overnight, on the boat (without going ashore say...) is X. The number of day trips fishing is XXX+.

Most of the time after one or two nights of stuff all sleep etc the overnighting aspect gives way to going out fishing all day, head home and enjoythe comforts of home. Overnight once or twice year and you've ticked the box?

All good fun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Twosix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 8:09pm
Twosix View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Heres my experience for what its worth:

I went through exactly the same scenario as what you are going through back in Feb this year. I have 3 young boys and wanted to be able to do an activity with them as the wife works night shifts over the weekend and to make it easier on her we try and get out of the house (her idea :) ). For me I had no experiance what so ever with boats so spent a lot of time researching and talking to those in the know first. All good advice and intel was gathered. In the end I got a Bonito 186 Hydrolift which ticked all the boxes including Price (got a great deal on Tard me for $11K.

I then spend 700 on a service and its been a fantastic runner for me since then. 
The kids love it and the cabin definitely helps when I am out on longer trips. The fibreglass is heavy so cuts through the water in the rough really well and is a very stable platform when anchored. 

The down side is I caught the fishing bug big time and especially my middle and youngest sons are getting right into it with many successful trips in the harbour to date and we are planning a deeper run in summer. 

Now that we are doing more fishing than leisure I want to upgrade to something slight bigger and with a Hardtop. Fishing is our main activity but that main change come summer.

For me the hardtop is a key factor for the next boat as pissing around with the cover which is a good cover but restricts my vision when on the move and if i dont have it up in the rough stuff I get alot of spray coming over me (of course a jacket solves that)

I think at the end of the day your budget will be the biggest factor in your decision. But make sure when you are checking a boat out take someone who has a few clues and that will give you good advice. Good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 9:28pm
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would think a bonito 186 would be a great choice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MartinMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 10:23am
MartinMac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

All good valid points takin on board.. i appreciate the heads up... ill let ya know how i get on... looks like a sweet deal Twosix... perfect alrounder by the sounds and good price... Whats it like for solo launching?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MartinMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 10:23am
MartinMac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

PM sent KEVIN.S
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Twosix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 6:07pm
Twosix View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by MartinMac MartinMac wrote:

All good valid points takin on board.. i appreciate the heads up... ill let ya know how i get on... looks like a sweet deal Twosix... perfect alrounder by the sounds and good price... Whats it like for solo launching?
Hey Martin

Agree its a great all rounder and IMO a great first boat. Solo Launching is a breeze but I launch out of Seaview in Wellington which has a great ramp so its pretty easy.

Hope you find a good one and that you have a good time on it with the family

Cheers