An unusual catch

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An unusual catch
    Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 9:11pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

This thing put up a good fight. Well no it didn't but it was still alive - just, washed up at Kariotahi beach today. My mates daughter found it, so I just had to get some pictures. It's a yellow bellied sea snake. I've heard of them showing up these parts before but this is the first time I've seen one, let alone hold a live one. Big smile

Snake photography isn't a strong point but it was interesting to see this. It was about 700mm long and looked like it had been hit by a car driving along the beach. It died not long after the photos were taken. It was around 700mm long. Apparently several turn up in NZ each year.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 9:17pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Very brave smudgeClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 9:19pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's pretty rare in NZ, and given that its bite can kill you I'm not too bothered that its rare.  Cool find though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 9:39pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How did you cook it and did it taste salty ?
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 9:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Grilled, tastes like tuatara
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 9:58pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yuk! I find them tuataras far too bonyShocked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 10:00pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I normally find yellow bellied snakes at work.... not at the beach... nice find smudge
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 10:24pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice find Smudge. Once found a very alive on Oakura bay ,northland one year in May.
Think they make top Gurnard bait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phishpula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 10:26pm
Phishpula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gurnard live bait  go on Smudge you can catch a whopper of a grunta
Turtle free since 2012
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 10:36pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

great find all right, interesting mouth on that Sea snake as most cant bite you their mouths are that small.
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 10:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

This one could easily bite you, I took a pic of it with it's mouth open near my finger for perspective but strangely enough there was a bit of hand shake that ruined the pic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 10:56pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah... you would want to be pretty careful...   one of the most venomous snakes around by all accounts..    and it looks big enough to bite.. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 11:00pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

This one could easily bite you, I took a pic of it with it's mouth open near my finger for perspective but strangely enough there was a bit of hand shake that ruined the pic.

Its a female Smudge. Handshake isn't necessary; kiss is more appropriate greeting!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 12:24am
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice find/post Smudge. Interesting thing to turn up in these temperatures
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 7:32am
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's pretty awesome. 
I drove down Muriwai beach on Saturday after shooting at South Head. 
Fair bit of 'stuff' had been washed up, including 3 coconuts. Maybe from the same place as your snake? 
I took a coconut home and put it in the garden, hope it grows. 
Also lots of cuttlefish bone. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 9:03am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Coconuts on the beach! That is unusual! Blowed if I would hold that snake like that Smudge....until it was well deadified.

A thought....had it been alive and well, would there be any law against keeping it in an aquarium....warmer water to keep it happy, feed it the odd goldfish or something, it wouldn't be too hard to do. Or maybe offer it to someplace like kelly tarltons to keep. After all, it swam here under its own steam, so it is not an illegal import, is it?
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 11:00am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

After Smudge posted the pic I looked these things up, as I didn't know much about them.  The way they catch fish is very clever, they lay on the surface of the sea and wait for fish to congregate under them -acting as a FAD.  Then when there are fish there they grab one.  With their venom I would think most fish would be paralysed almost instantly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 11:01am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very cool mate -

Often seen sea snakes swimming around the warmer waters when I've been snorkelling. Some great colours on them.

Nice find and thanks for sharing.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 12:36pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

Coconuts on the beach! That is unusual! Blowed if I would hold that snake like that Smudge....until it was well deadified.

A thought....had it been alive and well, would there be any law against keeping it in an aquarium....warmer water to keep it happy, feed it the odd goldfish or something, it wouldn't be too hard to do. Or maybe offer it to someplace like kelly tarltons to keep. After all, it swam here under its own steam, so it is not an illegal import, is it?

No, you can't keep them Capt A as they are endemic - I think that's the word - they are automatically a protected species. However they do not survive in our temps. This one had an injury so was past its best.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trouss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 1:41pm
Trouss View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Is this a MAF reportable thing?

I believe they take the no snake in NZ thing pretty seriously.
Page  12>