Bluefin

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluefox_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 6:50pm
bluefox_13 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We will probably give it another shot next season i think. Coukd be tempted to go again this season if loads of fish suddenly turned back up. But since we went there hasnt been any more tuna landed out there...
Yes its cold... no I dont care that you feel the cold easily... no we can't get out....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 7:22pm
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by bluefox_13 bluefox_13 wrote:

We will probably give it another shot next season i think. Coukd be tempted to go again this season if loads of fish suddenly turned back up. But since we went there hasnt been any more tuna landed out there...
There will in the next 10days I am picking. Last season we overnighted for zip, then went out after a couple of days and hooked 3. Heading down on Tuesday to give it a nudge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 5:01pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

have any of you trolled lures for them?
we hooked 21 in 3 days the second year they started catching them,
the best lure was a imitation Yo-Zuri squid with a cork stuffed in the head which kept it on the surface, 
similar to these below.

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluefox_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 7:31am
Platinum
Platinum

What speed were you trolling them at? Alongside the trawlers? Or behind them or where? How many lines/lures were you having running out the back at once?
Yes its cold... no I dont care that you feel the cold easily... no we can't get out....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluefox_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 7:32am
Platinum
Platinum

And what length was the squid?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 10:22am
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'd heard its only the southerns that take lures. Could be wrong though...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 10:44am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No when they first started chasing the Pacific Bluefin off Greymouth there were quite a few big ones caught on lures and squid lures similar to the ones Lethal put up were the most effective. For some reason people have stopped trolling lures for them down there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HULK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 11:20am
HULK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I was told that none have been caught on a lure since around 2007 or 08.
The fish certainly seem to have wised up since the early days when people fished for them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 12:19pm
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

No when they first started chasing the Pacific Bluefin off Greymouth there were quite a few big ones caught on lures and squid lures similar to the ones Lethal put up were the most effective. For some reason people have stopped trolling lures for them down there.

Ah right
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 12:59pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

2005 was when i was down there, our biggest was 277kg caught on a copy of Pakula sprocket in Blue/white/red.
we never trolled more than 2 lures at once and quite often had 2 on at once,
the good and the bad about lures is,
more hook-ups around the middle of the ship and the net was still down,
we lost at least half of those fish to the cables, you could tell by the grease on the line.
you need a side scan to see if any fish are swimming under or along side of the ship,
you got a couple of shots as the net come up,
then you had a few more go's when about 15 to 20mins later when blood and guts come out the side shoot, the seals would be right there when this happened and the tuna under them,

we hooked a couple of Makos in the 150 to 175kg class on the lures as well between ships but also 3 or 4 Tuna,
we sleeped at night because we found we hooked seals all the time when fishing at night,
but what we didnt realize was the tuna were under the boat when we got up in the morning, once we new this we would put the lures out as soon as the boat started moving and bingo hook ups straight off,
the skipper later rang me after we had returned to AK and said they now cubed the Tuna under the boat first thing in the morning,
but they were having trouble to get them to take a baited hook,
his main reason for ringing was to tell me he had seen the Largest ever Est: 500kg plus swimming right around and under the boat for over 15mins no other Tuna would come near the boat while it was feeding,
so who knows how big ours grow...

this is the boat we fished off, West Coast Commercial boat, shame the skipper has passed away, RIP.

The rear end of a Hoki ship with cables going into the sea,

side view of a ship as we trolled passed it, notice the slots just above the water line, this is where some of the scraps come out,

a double hook up a long way from the ships one is on 6okg the other on 37kg. 

this squid lure was huge in size think it was a Boone Teaser but even it worked,

just to prove it wasn't suck in the fishes mouth here is photo from the underwater footage i took of the trip, remember this is 10years ago, i was filming under water footage long before most TV programs were doing it..
you can see the lure near the top of the pic.

on that trip i caught this one which was a World record at the time, 
which has been way surpassed now...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 1:21pm
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

packing my toothbrush as we speak. crossing  the strait 2-30 in the morn. hopefully out fishing wed night.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 2:02pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

go get em, wish you lots of luck sink. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 2:56pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah, good luck man.
Considering there short life maybe those who were wary of lures are all gone so lures could be back on the menu.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 1:16pm
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Actually, you forgot your toothbrush..-Mrs Sink x 

Sink has been successful and is heading home as we speak-story and photos to come, Im sure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 1:51pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

WOW that is great news sink, congrates, Handshake  cant wait to hear how it all unfolded..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dave0308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 1:57pm
Dave0308 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes congrats looking forward to the stoiry & pics Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 3:05pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Excellent news, waiting impatiently
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 3:51pm
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

He has a ferry trip and an 8hr drive to get home so wont be back untill the wee hrs-tomorrow im sure :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishR52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 9:29pm
FishR52 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Looking at the weather and the boats finishing up down there this coming week, it's looking like next year will be our time aye Bluefox. We went we tryed, and we learnt a bit. So with that knowledge we will be trying again...just not so early in the season next year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluefox_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 7:06pm
Platinum
Platinum

Too true mr fishR... they will meet the 10mm of steel i have waiting in the shed someday...
Page  <123>