New Drone Fishing and Filming forum

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Drone Fishing and Filming forum
    Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 3:03pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

The technology is moving like a lightning bolt so here's the place to share some knowledge, some experiences good and bad.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kyle@AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 3:13pm
Kyle@AK View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A big thank you to fishing.net.nz for starting this new forum and providing a forum for fishing drone enthusiasts the opportunity to share their experiences and learn from each other. We are pleased to be a New Zealand company pioneering drone fishing and working with lots of people who have realised how much drones can offer. 

The Aerokontiki is a  fishing drone/long line hauler which is used to fly a baited longline within visual range. The drone immediately returns and lands by itself and the main advantages are accuracy of placement, speed of deployment and reduced risk of equipment loss due to shark bites, backbone snagging etc. It works really well using an electric game reel spooled with braid and a 15 hook nylon leader.  The Aerokontiki will also carry camera systems to help you see fish habitats, rocks etc all in real time so you can decide exactly where to place your baits and of course record the days adventure while you're waiting to pull the line in.

I look forward to helping anyone out with their questions (irrespective of what type of drone you have or are thinking about) and to sharing our experience, knowledge and ideas for development. Drone fishing is fun, productive and there’s plenty of applications we can explore including livebaiting & gamefishing just for a start. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 2:45pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Kyle. Its just a shame it cant carry more sinker weight or it would be usefull on the west coast,8oz is nowhere enough weight most days,but in saying that,on the very few days in a year it would be enough,im sure it will eventually catch fish on the west side. Have you used it out west since we last spoke?
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 6:26pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

Hi Kyle. Its just a shame it cant carry more sinker weight or it would be usefull on the west coast,8oz is nowhere enough weight most days,but in saying that,on the very few days in a year it would be enough,im sure it will eventually catch fish on the west side. Have you used it out west since we last spoke?
I tend to think this method would be alright on Westcoast. If the seas small enough to get a good set with a  kontiki, using a drone with braid would work as well. The problem has always been with kontikis on westcoast when they stop at there set time out at sea, the one hundred metre leader  line from hooks to kontiki is always at the mercy of the currents and start drifting even with a couple of kilos of lead on the hook section. Happens all the time hear in Mokau, huge tangles, arguments etc. The worst case iv'e seen five all crossing and drifting over one another, to an absolute disaster once all pulled in on beach! With dropping off a longline straight to bottom on lighter braid mainline from the Drone there would be none or bugger all drift. Maybe 8 oz not enough, would have to be trialed a bit. Also have seen a kontiki system using two reels and a release system. Works perfect as kontiki is wound in once the line with hooks is released to bottom. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kyle@AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 8:54pm
Kyle@AK View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Jason. It's good to hear from you again. It has been a while and I did promise to give you a demo. A lot has changed since then. The AeroKontiki drone can carry much heavier sinkers. In some cases one does not need to go much further than the breakers, and at Kariotahi from memory its about 500 meters away I think. We have used the AeroKontiki there very well with distances up to 780 meters as long as it's within visual range, and I do remember the high currents moving the sinker so it would be good to find a way to reduce this. We are happy to try out your leader and sinker configuration if you are game. The information gained will help the overall drone community, and we are keen to share what we learn. kindest regards Kyle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kyle@AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 9:29pm
Kyle@AK View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Snappa Geoff. You are right with the advantage of dropping off the baited leader  line to the bottom and using braid. Our drone users now use an electric game reel spooled with 80lb braid. And we recently moved from standard braid to a more dense braid like Sufix 832 to help it sink. The leader is typically traces spaced about 1.5m apart with 15 hooks, and with 12oz breakaway at the tip and 8oz at the start of the leader. Once when doing tests at Kariotahi we experienced high currents, and the accumulated surface area of the braid caused it to drag the leader all the way north. We had the advantage of easily pulling and then dropped it off again much further south into the current. Using much heavy sinkers with strong breakaway may help and is well within the AK drones capability with some reduction in range. We are keen to do further tests in those conditions with better sinker and leader line recommendations.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 8:38am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

snapper geoff,can you explain the two reel thing a bit more,sounds interesting. Ive also heard you can use a dropper with a kontiki.I bought a seahorse months ago,but its been a bit rough to use it yet,so I may be able to use a dropper in the bigger surf maybe.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote durleyzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 2:00pm
durleyzz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi fish feeder --I've seen this sea horse with dropper one too ---reel easy but u need 2 reels at least & this guy that does it uses a mate with 2 way radio 3 reels & the torpeo putting out 2 lots of 25 hooks.
they stay appart on the beach buy 100m or so with torpedo's line  having no sinkers or traces
but has on underside a forward facing hook holding line to baited line that guy 100m along beach lets out .  ----Torp. can then be pulled in separatley even put out another swapping places on beach
He has el. winch that motor detaches to put on other reel.---got a mate this is the way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gatekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 4:50pm
Gatekeeper View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Ive just got myself a drone for filming mainly but for also spotting surface schools of kahawai and kings.

Being new to it would be interested in some pointers on easy ways of learning basic flying skills with them.

I have the DJI Phantom 3 which has a camera fixed looking forward so when trying to film your boat from the side going forward you have to fly the drone sideways, not an easy feat for a novice at 20 knots

Does anyone have some good tips on developing skills to fly them well. I have heard trying to fly them in a figure 8 is a good way to learn the different banking angles an the differences of flying away and toward you.

There is never a better time to go fishing than now, live the day
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 3:57pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pretty good effort  troy... like the way you dropped back to 60fps to give the slo mo effect.. 
Troy... Gps flying with fpv is great  UNTIL  you loose contact..  (for whatever reason)
and you need to use home lock or failsafe to get home...   Have had friends "fly away" as the battery lost contact, it rebooted  and reset the home position to 0.0 .. Over water this scenario can be disastrous , so IMHO you need to learn to fly it manually over an open grassy area with line of sight..   forwards backwards many times then sideways and sideways  the other way and use the yaw to rotate the quad..  then banking turns using both controls .. figure of eights makes you use the controls all way round...
There is a setting called course lock that allows the drone to fly forwards  backwards left and right regardless of the crafts orientation..  ie forwards is forwards regardless of which way the drone is flying..  so you will be flying forwards even tho you have yawed the drone to one side ...and the camera pointing towards you as in your video...
I bought a midi drone to fly inside... then an x5sw syma unit with fpv to learn to fly manually out side and now a Phantom 2 vision plus ver 3 with built in 3 axis camera...
For my own piece of mind i will learn to fly this manually as well rather than just GPS mode.. I'm sure ill get into trouble sooner or later... as iv'e already crashed the syma a few times....    have a look on u tube for a guy called quadcopter 101..  he has a site and does a lot of product testing and you will pick up heaps of pointers from him.. He has tutorials on learn to fly...

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gatekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 4:49pm
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thanks for that,, Yes have been flying in paddock to get the feel before the first over water trip.

Interested in that flying forward setting , that might make things a lot easier.

Also is there a way to slow the yaw down so it doesn't look so clunky or will that just come with time in the air.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 5:58pm
Titanium
Titanium

That's where the practice comes in...  tiny "slow" movements of the stick...  think its one of the switch positions on the left side of the controller...  you are looking for IOC mode - course lock and the purists recommend you don't use it or you'll never learn to fly a drone properly..  maybe they have a point but why did DJI make it a nice feature  ??
couple HINT's....     Try NOT to land on concrete..   Its not conducive to spinning blades...  grass is good  lol........and label your drone with your name and phone number.. "just in case"
What are you using for FPV..???   I haven't had a look but the DJI Pilot app which might have Ground Station which means you can fly it by using way points..  AUTONOMOUSLY ..   set up the heights you want to fly at..  it gives you a chance to redo them before you hit the 'go"  button..  Takes off...  flies to the first way point.. then to the next and so on and returns to you and hovers... you can then hit the land button and it will do it automatically...    obviously you have to plot it with heights in mind... trees.. poles ...posts houses whatever...  Nice thing is the drone flys its course by itself and you can still pan the camera on the gimbal..
Might have to do some research to see if the PH3 has this feature... the PH2 vision plus 3 does...  so ill be trying it out in wide open spaces...  so i dont hit anything...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 7:45pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

love your boat gatekeeper, the vids not bad either keep at it your doing fine.Thumbs Up
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Gatekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 8:03pm
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

So i decided it was time to give it a good fly over water in the weekend with weather conditions perfect and another hour flying under my belt.

Durville Island sure looks wicked from above, totally luvin this drone flying. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 8:25pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is outstanding Gatekeeper, I'm get'n one!!!
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 8:31pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

its got you written all over it Andrew! nice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 9:20pm
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

yep would be quite handy sending it out to check on conditions in the carrot patch before getting out of bed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 9:38pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not long now John and she'll be ready for harvesting! Can't wait!!

Not sure if you've seen this but this is when we filmed Back Country South Island In April and Nick nearly drowned his new DJI Phantom... was pretty funny... for me anyway! I did tell him GPS degration is +/- 3-5m, so taking off from the river bank was not a good idea if his battery quit!!!!...

https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 1:24am
Titanium
Titanium

Another great vid troy....Thumbs Up  looking good...
I have a list of hints and tricks if anyone wants then emailed to them.
Also a comprehensive checklist for first time flyers ..  (suits phantom 2 vision and up)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gatekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 6:04am
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

i'd be keen for those Tas
Page  12>