Kai Iwi trout comp July 4th & 5th

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kai Iwi trout comp July 4th & 5th
    Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 1:17pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am fishing this comp from my kayak. I have never tried trout fishing before. I will probably be jigging with my softbait gear, 10lb fireline, spin setup. Any tips on terrain type, rigs, fly colours, etc would be great.

I may also do some trolling, so any suggestions on lure type and colour would be appreciated. Is it legal to fish two rods? If I am trolling, I might run two lures with one deeper than the other.

I have a sounder. I might mark my braid with some bright cottonor a felt pen at 5 or 10m intervals so I can drop the flies to a certain depth.

Cheers
Patrick
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 4:18pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have fished Kai Iwi many years ago, once for their annual comp. A trolled red setter on spin gear used to work, we used spin gear with a little ball sinker to get the fly down. The big lake (Taharoa??) drops off quite suddenly fairly close to the shore and that's where I'd try trolling.

Moslty I fished fly from the shore though. You can bait fish there and from a kayak fly, spin or bait fishing in close to the weed banks may work.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 9:57pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Telecaster.<br><br>I may also do some trolling, so any suggestions on lure type and colour would be appreciated. Is it legal to fish two rods? If I am trolling, I might run two lures with one deeper than the other.<br><br><br>Cheers<br>Patrick<br>
[/QUOTE Telecaster.

I may also do some trolling, so any suggestions on lure type and colour would be appreciated. Is it legal to fish two rods? If I am trolling, I might run two lures with one deeper than the other.

Cheers
Patrick
[/QUOTE wrote:

Am pretty sure Patrick that more than one line is not allowed if only one on board & furthermore having more than one fully made up rod is also illegal but maybe I am out of touch with the current regs so probably best to double

Am pretty sure Patrick that more than one line is not allowed if only one on board & furthermore having more than one fully made up rod is also illegal but maybe I am out of touch with the current regs so probably best to double check. My understanding of a fully made up rod is that you simply only need to remove the fly or lure & it is no longer considered to be fully made up but once again best to check on that.

Many years ago I was "interrogated at length" by a very officious, IMO over zealous honorary ranger because I had two made up flyfishing rods, one with a floating line the other a sinker whilst shoreline fishing Lake Aniwhenua to save having to constantly re rig to suit the changing conditions. Under the threat of having my gear confiscated, tried to explain I had enough trouble trying to cast one rod let alone one in each hand. He finally conceded that if I was to remove the fly from the rod not in use & continued to do so that he would not issue an infringement notice .... crazy I know but thems were the rules.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 9:31am
Davefish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

correct Bazza. To avoid any misunderstanding a mate that boat fishes leaves everything intact but (2 piece) break spare rods down if in a boat.
I've flyfished (wading) this comp for 15 years, used to drive up for it even when we lived in Tauranga. It's a very well run comp with awesome anglers and organisers. A great feed on Sunday at prize giving too.
The trout are IMHO the best eating trout in NZ, and I've caught them all over NZ. The trout here eat gambusia (mosquito fish) and koura -  anything that eats crayfish is gonna taste good right?! Without exception when you split these fish open they're a carrot orange colour and are seldom slabby (no spawning streams).
This year I'm taking my son (10y.o) with me and we'll take our Mac360 so him and I can jig/flyfish during the day, and by night/dawn I'll go flyfish wading. 
Not sure how we'll go jigging in July, we nailed it jigging in November a couple of years ago in a mates boat, home before breakfast with 2 fat fish each two mornings in a row. Don't think our 2/ 30hp is flash at trolling speed plus we have no trolling gear, but the experienced trollers do darn well - I see them stopping frequently and winching in fish while I'm up to my Rse flyfishing with no result LOL
Looking forward to the comp sooooo much. There's good camping available at Pine Beach and The Prominade, launching of boats/kayaks at both those places plus the 'ramp' half way between those two.
Loads of people take the whole family, there's great mountain biking and walking tracks, and it's just a very cool spot to be for a weekend. Feel free to PM for more info, and Rudi at Northland Fish & Game is always happy to help.
Our tickets and licence arrived in the post yesterday, can't wait!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 10:49am
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the info guys. I'll stick to one rod and focus on the jigging. A mate of mine won it last year jigging from a boat - I'll pick his brain re. fly colours etc.

Looking forward to it. I'll keep an eye out for you Dave - I'll be paddling an orange prowler 13, wearing a yellow PFD. Driving a silver honda civic hatchback.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 11:31am
Davefish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yeah please say hi if you see us too, white Mac360 with orange highsides, noisy-as-frik 30hp tohatsu. If you get buzzed by us the young fella was driving, honest!
Have to borrow father-in-laws prado to launch the boat, my old holden stationwagon could hold things up at the sand/mud ramps. 
I'm guessing for jigging flies we'll follow my flyfishing formula (usually successful) of lighter smaller flies by day (grey ghost, small red setters, hamills, yellow lady, etc) and if we're still in the boat in the late arvo some big black budgies.
If the weather is like today it will be awesome. Have fished it in previous years where it rained from arrival to departure. And once, this really sudden roar filled the air, and then the sound of breaking stuff, and hail the size of marbles came over Lake Waikare (the 'ski' lake) and had us running for cover. Usually its a stiff southwester with occasional showers, and a sprinkling of welcome sun in between. About 3 years ago it was sunny, warm, and completely still for the whole comp, felt like you were somewhere tropical - but wearing polarfleece!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 10:44am
Titanium
Titanium

Hey, were abouts in auckland do you recommend to buy flies and light leader material etc from?

At the moment my leader material ranges from 20lb to 130lb... probably a bit too heavy for trout!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 11:23am
Davefish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I find the team at Rod and Reel in Newmarket to be bang on with advice and products generally. For more specific advice and/or if you ran out of time before heading north, there's Mike Nola's Sports and Grunting&Wishing in Dargaville, both on the main drag (Victoria St).
Generally small, light coloured flies by day and bigger darker flies by night/change of light.
Some people have done well with heave n leaves, gotta admit to fanging one of them out at some point of the comp just to give the casting arm a rest while munching a museli bar and thinking about what fly to try next.
Micro jigs (10 - 25gr) are effective, esp with a fly tied 500mm above on a short dropper. 12lb/6kg FC trace will suit most Kai Iwi applications. As always though competent knots, a silky drag, and rod guides in perfect condition are equally important to what is on the end of the line. 
Different types of guides are cracked more easily than others and microscopic though they may be they'll chew away at your braid/leader. A good test is to run some wool firmly back and forwards through the guides one at a time and check if there's any wool filaments caught in a crack, which will be nigh on impossible to see with the naked eye. Sounds a bit OCD but when you're using super light braid and even mono it can mean everything. I check my 1kg - 3kg mono outfits like this a couple of times a year. Yup, I'm a nut!
Dave
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 12:17pm
Titanium
Titanium

Great, thanks mate, see you up there. We are staying at wai hou oma lodge right next to the lake.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 12:36pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Many years since I have trolled but a black & gold toby or a green cobra always worked well.

If camping at Kai iwi be aware the possums can be really cheeky & you may well have unwelcome nocturnal visitors in your tent helping themselves to any food they can find regardless if it is wrapped up or not. 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 3:00pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would have loved to go  - working that weekend.
If you are stuck for flies/leader we have plenty here at FC Albany.

Used to do ok sinking line, red setter fishing the Promenade area (the narrow part of the big Lake)
Now If I was serious about winning this comp would concentrate on Heave/leave boobies/glo bugs and jigging with small smelt flies. Would also employ a koura fly on the bottom of jig rig.
Flyfishing at dusk and night .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 4:18pm
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds good, I'll call in on Friday before I head up north.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 11:01am
Titanium
Titanium

Forecast is looking grim for Saturday with 20-30 knots of SW.

Hopefully they have it wrong!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 4:25pm
Davefish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

sheesh, you're not wrong!
typically it's a bit snotty but that system looks like a real bruiser.
even if the guts of it misses us the spin off isn't gonna be pretty.
will leave the nylon tents at home and will pack the big heavy canvas one.
what you survive makes you tougher....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 1:16pm
Titanium
Titanium

Forecast has improved slightly but will still be around 15-20 knots. I might have to hit you up for a tow!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 1:26pm
Davefish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

was gonna head up and camp friday night so i could fling a fly at 6am, but will leave home at 5am instead so we only have one night in tents. Nothing against camping, we do it a lot, but don't want to get soaked before the comp has even started. See ya up there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 5:40pm
Titanium
Titanium

I managed a 1.7kg jack and a 1.3kg hen. Lost a smaller one first thing, no net and butter fingers. Smelt patterns doing the damage. Mate of mine got a 2.7kg rainbow and I saw a 3.1kg jack getting weighed in, caught trolling I believe. Pissing down all afternoon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 8:47am
Titanium
Titanium

I got second place in the kayak division with my 1.7kg jack. The winning fish were both over 3.1kg and both caught trolling.

Smelt patterns seemed to work best, I got my biggest fish on a size 8 resin head jack sprat.

I got some great scotty products for the kayak.

Great comp, really friendly atmosphere and relaxed weigh-in and prizegiving. I'll do a proper report once I have a photo of my fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 9:14am
Davefish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Patrick, tried to work out who you were, I should've just started charging up to anyone that was yak fishing! Maybe you were one of the guys in the Merc s/w that stopped to chat with Belinda T?
We had a change of plans Friday night, the young fella was too full of snot and pulled the pin, big call since he had been looking forward to it for 6 months. I unhitched the boat, changed the gear around, and headed up early Saturday morning.
So I did my usual wading/flyfishing. I reckon that's the best fish quality and quantity I've seen in 17 years at that comp. I got a couple of fish to 2kg despite working it pretty hard. Even fished until 1130pm in that torrential rain on Saturday night, for nil result. Warren R and I were fishing together when he got the winning flyfish entry, it was a tough fish and was still fighting hard when I netted it for him.
The bait fishers nailed it, I saw a guy catch his first trout ever on Saturday arvo, then he proceeded to land another 2 while I stood there flailing away without reward. But wait, there's more - he came back on Sunday morning and got another 3! Makes pure flyfishing look a bit weak sometimes but it gets licences sold and people fishing so all good.
Hoping to get back up there in a month or so, when I've caught up on work and the young fella is better.
Great comp, great people, unbeatable surroundings and superb eating fish, there's lots to go back for.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 1:22pm
Titanium
Titanium

Hi mate, I kept an eye out for a mac boat but now I know why I didn't see one! My kayak fitted inside my mates blue fyran so you wouldn't have been able to see it at prizegiving. Karl (the guy smoking the fish) generously gave me the scotty flag/light pole that he won as part of his 1st prize in the kayak category, after I approached him wanting to buy it off him! Great guy.

I fished out of a boat on Sunday as all my gear including thermals was soaked from the rain on Saturday. I caught 2 more hens, 1kg and 1.4kg, both on a green and orange smelt fly tied by a mate.

I'll definitely try to make it back up there next year. Hope the weather is better next time.
Page  12>