Winterising Marlin Lures?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterising Marlin Lures?
    Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 10:20am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Well, even with a new lure purchased last week Embarrassed, it really is time to put the lures away until next NZ season - so how do you guys store your lures, or should I say, how 'should' lures be stored for the next several months?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 12:04pm
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

- take off all leaders and rigs and store separately
- rinse all lures in warm fresh water (no detergent) dry flat on a towel in the shade
- spray with silicone when they are dry
- roll them up in an old towel (you can spray that with silicone too) and store in a cupboard or somewhere dark (don't store lures in plastic bags. Pakula Lure rolls are Ok too as the plastic we use doesn't react with any skirt brands I know of but better if the lures aren't touching each other.
- do the same for rigs which can be hung up or put in plastic bags, also spray with silicone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 1:57pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Marlin caught yesterday behind knights maybe head up north and get them wet instead ?
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 11:20am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Thanks Peter! I didn't derig them fully last year, the odd rubber band stored in with a couple...basically melted mushy rubbers bands messed the leaders after a few months, the lures were OK. I have a Pakula lure bag or two - will utilize that, cheers. I watched your vid on your website - and yes the difference in cheap and good silicon is significant, the couple of extra $ is worth it, thanks.

Arrghh, don't tempt me Of2fsh...June and there's still a few around, amazing, sure would be a thrill hooking up a stripie in winter!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 11:22am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep just put mine away to after buying another three Embarrassed
Since I just been using wire rigs this year I ended up pulling them all apart as I noticed a few rust stains here and there even though I had been washing them down after each outing. Ive even taken all the shrink tubing off the hooks also as that was causing some rust stains to.

Just on another note on wire rigs Peter, how many hours or days trolling would you do on one before replacing? As I understand, with all the movement the wire will eventually perish or fail. Ive been running lighter guage wire for small marlin lures with LG dojo hooks, and Ive replaced the rig after each caught fish. Heavier guage rigs when we know there are blues about on the east coast.