expedition V.S Saltiga

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: expedition V.S Saltiga
    Posted: 31 May 2015 at 7:24pm
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looking into purchasing one of these bad boys. And want to see some debate from you boys as what is better?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 7:37pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Expedition is a Saltiga???
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 8:51pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I just went through this decision myself. the expedition 5500 will give you greater line capacity for not a lot of extra weight, and an aluminium drag knob
The saltiga 5000 has the new automatic tournament drag which will give smoother start up drag over the traditional systems and help dissipate heat more effectively than previous drags
I ended up with the saltiga 5000h and spooled it with jb 60lb hollow
I got mine free through a Rewards program and the expedition was going to be 25% more points which I couldn't justify. But in the shops the reels seem quite similar so it would be more if you want pe5 vs pe6 size and which colour combo you prefer

You could go either way and be pretty stoked. The new ones feel amazing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 4:28pm
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have used the expedition a few times but yet to try out the new saltiga. No doubt about it that both are exceptional reels. Just wondering if one edges the other out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 6:09pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The New Saltigas are streets ahead of the old models. (I assume your talking about the old model Expedition?)
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 9:13am
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Fishing Addiction Fishing Addiction wrote:

I just went through this decision myself. the expedition 5500 will give you greater line capacity for not a lot of extra weight, and an aluminium drag knob
The saltiga 5000 has the new automatic tournament drag which will give smoother start up drag over the traditional systems and help dissipate heat more effectively than previous drags
I ended up with the saltiga 5000h and spooled it with jb 60lb hollow
I got mine free through a Rewards program and the expedition was going to be 25% more points which I couldn't justify. But in the shops the reels seem quite similar so it would be more if you want pe5 vs pe6 size and which colour combo you prefer

You could go either way and be pretty stoked. The new ones feel amazing
how noticable is the intial slip on the tournament drag if that makes sense?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 9:45am
KingySlayer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

For anyone who is interested in comparing the Saltiga 2014 Expedition to the Saltiga 2015 model. Keep a close eye on Alan Hawkes review site. It looks like he has reviewed the 2015 Saltiga but hasnt published it yet. He has however published his rating of the 2015 reel.

2014 Saltiga Expedition 97/100
2015 Saltiga 95/100

From Alan's BLog
(26 May 2015) Will post an article in a week or ten days, and it will have a lot of information on reels that you are frequently enquiring about such as the new Saltiga, Okuma Azores, Cabo PTSE, Van Staal X, new Shimano reels, and many others. 

Really interested to see where the extra $300 comes into it for the Expedition over the 2015 Saltiga. My understanding is that the Expedition was that good that the goodness was taken from this reel and pressed into the 2015 model (with a few additions left out like a metal drag dial vs plastic).  

THE ATD FA was talking about is explained here for those who want a bit more insight:

ATD or Automatic Tournament Drag is a new introduction into the Daiwa spinning reels. The biggest issue with many drag systems is that they are not smooth at the beginning of the drag and do not adjust to suit line distance or a fish slowing down. ATD rectifies this issue. As an example ATD works like this, at the beginning of a strike the drag starts smoothly, then increase to its pre-set drag rating, as the fish swims further away and begins to slow down, line pressure increases thus increasing drag and line breakage is a high possibility. The ATD system recognizes this and automatically decreases the drag to compensate for the added pressure. As an example, if a drag is set at 7kg, at the beginning of the strike for a brief moment it will be 1kg then increases to 7kg, as the fish swims say to 250m (this equates to approx. 3kg of extra line drag, depending on line thickness) the drag will decrease to 4kg, thus avoiding line breakage.

This is from Alan's site also:
The 2014 Expedition remains the flagship reel. 2015 Saltiga has been upgraded with mag seals in 4 locations just like the Expedition, and will be initially released in 9 sizes from 3500 to 6500 with a price increase of about $30 on average. It has what Daiwa calls ATD (Automatic Tournament Drag), which remains to be evaluated when the time comes.

2014 Expedition has only 2 sizes - 5500 and 8000.

www.assassinsportsfishing.com
www.facebook.com/assassinjigteam
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fsholc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 10:22am
fsholc View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

"Really interested to see where the extra $300 comes into it for the Expedition over the 2015 Saltiga. My understanding is that the Expedition was that good that the goodness was taken from this reel and pressed into the 2015 model (with a few additions left out like a metal drag dial vs plastic).  "

Hey bro not sure about the $300 difference as i thought there was $100 between a Expedition 5500 ($1590) and the 2015 saltiga 5000($1490)?  or at least thats what we sell them at..

I Fished the 2015 saltiga with the daiwa team before they were launched and they are awesome reels..
only difference i could tell was the drag knob on the expeditions.

I have to say between all saltiga models.. dogfight, expedition, and 2015 saltiga the only difference i would worry about is colour and speed and size...
expedition dont do low speed 5500H 8000H
dogfights do both high and low but only in larger sizes 8000 8000H
2015 saltiga covers everything 5000 5000H 6500 6500H

pick the size and speed you want and that will narrow your choice down a bit then pick colour haha

www.yeehaa.co.nz
www.justanotherfisherman.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 10:34am
KingySlayer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Chur bro. Yeah thats exactly what i think on all of them. Colour and Drag dial is the only difference i can see. I did read on Alan's review that the metal drag dial would heat up with low drag (3-4 kilo). He advised that this is the opposite of bad as dispursing the heat as fast as possible is what we are trying to endorse with reels. 

Ah im 99% positive that Hunting and Fishing TGA had the 2015 Saltiga for $1299 and the Expedition for $1599. 

Jonocooge was there the other day checking them out. Maybe he can clarify that my eyes arnt playing tricks on me. But yeah i am sure they are there for that price bro.

Yeah mate we have 4 of those 5500h Expeditions and dam they are good. Looking forward to having a whirl on the 2015 Saltiga (once Jono reaches deep into his pockets for one) to see how it goes. 
www.assassinsportsfishing.com
www.facebook.com/assassinjigteam
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 12:03pm
sid fishus View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yawn,    Geek

Until next year when there is another 'new' reel with pinstripes on it for an extra $99.99.

Evil Smile
I always tell the truth about things that never happened
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 8:00pm
Titanium
Titanium

Haven't been able to test the drag yet as it's a bit late in the season to try out the top water seriously. Only managed follows by rats on Friday and couldn't raise anything Saturday. But will give my thoughts as soon as i get something to get the drag screaming
Just get the reel that suits the braid/capacity you want to use as above
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 11:42am
Titanium
Titanium

Just found out that the saltiga 2015 5000 and 6500 have the ultimate tournament drag, the same as the flagship Expedition reels. These models don't have the atd
I had a heads up from a fellow forum member, then looked at my box, no mention of the atd, then the manual clearly says ultimate tournament drag. Seems daiwa nz say utd on their site now too but some of the overseas sites do not show this
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote P-H-Y-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 11:20am
P-H-Y-S View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thats odd...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 10:20pm
Titanium
Titanium

What model is that on James, as my saltiga 5000h has no words on the top of the spool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote P-H-Y-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 12:11pm
P-H-Y-S View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That's a 2015 5000h too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 4:29pm
Titanium
Titanium

Well I may be wrong then. Either way very weird how different daiwa websites say different things and some reels have writing on top and some don't
Reel is mint anyway, just need to find a donkey king to pull a whole heap of line
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote P-H-Y-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 4:31pm
P-H-Y-S View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah buggered if I know. Good on ya go get em!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 10:46pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Purple headed yoghurt slinger Purple headed yoghurt slinger wrote:

Thats odd...

Hey James did you get your reel in NZ or out of Japan?
I asked about this & was told Diawa Australia/NZ didn't get the models with the ATD wording on the drag knob as it added cost but it was available in Japan.
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 8:34am
Titanium
Titanium

Haha sneaky buggers decided to leave the label off so they could easily see nz and imported models
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2016 at 5:23pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey fellus, bit of an update on this thread.....
ATD is essentially proprietary grease & is almost impossible to perceive in the bigger models.
Aside from the wording on the top of the spool the other way to quickly identify if your reel has ATD is the circular insert on the side plate... With ATD is the blue with UTD is gunmetal grey.
Tight lines
PE Pete
Page  12>