The most foolish thing you've done while fishing?

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote knb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 9:46pm
knb View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

LOLLOL
Originally posted by poppatrev poppatrev wrote:

caught a shark gaffed it pulled it in the boat it was going a bit mental so stamped on it as hard as i could in my gumboots managed to hit right where i had the gaff , it went right through my boot and half way through my foot no one else seen me do it so pulled foot off but eventually had to take my gumboot of as was filling up with blood  
LOLLOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 9:46pm
fozzie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So did the birds Smudge, so did the birds.....
Dont take life too seriously.....no one gets out alive any way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 9:48pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well I feel better now having read some other posts-my worst day on the boat my partner went out for a days fishing while away in coro for a weeks holiday. Although the boat developed an intermittent fuel problem we just 'had' to go out. Went out left the bung out, quick trip back to shore to put in. Off we went and eventually got onto some fish. Wind and rain increased but stayed longer than we should (catching fish) and when we tried to leave boat would stall as soon as in gear. Waved down nearby boat short tow to calmer waters removed carby drain plug and got boat going again. (moisture in campground tank perhaps?). Pounded our way back to campground, but not before finding two cell phones had a drink in the bilge....solution buy a bigger/better/dryer boat.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 9:54pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Twice I've run agound in the TeAtatu channel at the same spot..........24yrs apart. Ohh yeah!..... I sank my new Chrysler Charger '73 pulling my boat out at Westhaven......I hadnt even made the 1st car payment Ermm
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 12:24am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Early start. Arrive at Noises just as dawn breaking.  Anchor set nice and quiet.  Get out the rods. The rods?  What rods?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 2:33am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went over to great barrier many years ago on my own.....got dropped on some rocks in the middle of winter......had a brand new shimano baitrunner 6500 and baitrunner rod.......the rod and reel slid into the sea and was out of reach.....I was on my own and i couldnt get it with the gaff.....so i took all my clothes off down to my undies and i slid in....swam around briefly(double meaning!) and dived under and grabbed it.......it was ****ing cold and there was burley everywhere.........when i got out my kidneys were very sore......but i survived and my reel still does as well...........Doing that on my own was a bit dodgy. 
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 7:33am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Walu Walu wrote:

Twice I've run agound in the TeAtatu channel at the same spot..........24yrs apart. Ohh yeah!..... I sank my new Chrysler Charger '73 pulling my boat out at Westhaven......I hadnt even made the 1st car payment Ermm
Mate that makes me weep, chryslers don't need any help rusting away!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 7:52am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I haven't forgotten the bung, or the rods, or anything big (yet) but we did once launch the boat, went to put our life jackets on and remembered they were at home.  I had to leave my wife stood with the boat at the ramp while I went home for them (good job it was a local boat ramp).  I also managed to forget the bait knife once, you wouldn't believe how tricky it is cutting up bait with a pair of those little braid scissors.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote nathchef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 7:55am
nathchef View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Years ago Before I got a car I had to carry my kayak the 3 km from my house to the shore, I can think of at least 3 occasions when I'd finally arrive and realize the paddle/rods/bait were still sitting in my pack back in the garage. A special thanks to the various beach goers who kept an eye on the yak whilst I made another return trip 😳
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote hillyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 8:24am
hillyguy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A "mate" did a late night beer run into whangamata in a little zodiac. Thought he was heading for a light at the harbour entrance. Turned out he was heading for a bonfire on the beach. Hit the sand bar pretty hard. Still got the beers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote feijoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 10:29am
feijoa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

- drove 1.5 hours, forgot boat keys at home. got my old man to bring em and bonus fishing for him

- drove 1 hour, forgot life jackets. $20 jobs from warehouse x3

i feel much better reading the stories here hahahah
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 10:53am
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For one trip I was supplying the bait and a mate, who works for DOC, was bringing the burley. After anchoring we unpacked the burley to find he had grabbed the wrong bag, and we had a frozen kiwi with us.
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 11:44am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by waynorth waynorth wrote:

For one trip I was supplying the bait and a mate, who works for DOC, was bringing the burley. After anchoring we unpacked the burley to find he had grabbed the wrong bag, and we had a frozen kiwi with us.

Did it stay on the hook well?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Contract Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 1:01pm
Contract View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's better than my version ........ same deal, but when I unwrapped my "bait" I got a home kill turkey !!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Merci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 1:20pm
Merci View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Left AK very early to get to Port Jackson by daybreak. Locked car, fished rocks all day with some success. Wasnt till we got back to the car after dark we realised we didnt have the key for the steering lock that had been applied! Walked around campground asking for a hacksaw which surprisingly one camper had. Cut steering wheel to get clamp off, drove back to AK. LONG day! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 1:38pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Being 50k off the coast @ 2am solo fishing for sword fish in a 14'6 boat dodging coastal freighters wasnt a very smart move..... The recent sun flares caused some issues with satellites and my GPS, spent an anxious hour hoping I was heading in the right direction before the cape Brett light house came into view.
Cleaning the boat the next morning I found 2 Saurie had been blown into the boat as the wind had increased well above what was forcast. 

I re evaluated my desire to catch one solo after that.
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Helmsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 1:40pm
Helmsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Live baited a big Trev on Taheke Reef on a crusty old Penn Senator, a 2m 150lb leader and no gimbal belt, harness, or flying gaff.

7 hours later I watched the fish of a lifetime cruise off like nothing had happened, leaving me broken and cursing myself Censored
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mason43324 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 4:04pm
Mason43324 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

left wifes ipod in sonic hub and left volume right up on HDS, next time I went to launch boat beside some other staunch keen fishos 6am one morning it went to the start of the playlist...... Abba dancing queen......... real loud too, half of okiwi bay probably heard it.  I got strange looks.

Put brand new reel + braid in rod holder for  1hr drive out to sounds to launch boat. Didn't tighten drag on reel up. 300m of braid gooooooooone.

wondered why boat wouldn't roll into sea when launching early one morning.... I'll just give it a bit of reverse,  hhhmmmm how about a bit more then , nope just making a big dick of myself here...... ah ha strop still on stern. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 6:47am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well yesterday after getting to Manu bay I discovered that one of my swing down dinghy wheels had fallen off so launched without. Had the painter hanging out and headed off. About 500m wondered why the motor was stalling. Had to cut the rope from the bow to free it. Only lost 15cm of rope.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 8:00am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

These are fun.
I was solo drift fishing in front of coopers beach but out a ways.
I had a patch of good snaps and everytime I drifted through I would pick up one or two on my brand new rod and reel.
On about the 3rd drift I dropped the rod in the stern holder (not) and turned around to get something and heard an odd bang.
The rod must have been sitting up in the edge of the holder and when the fish hit, out it popped and over the side.
I turned, stepped over and looking down my rod was right there starting to sink and I just kinda followed it over.
Cap prescription sunnies etc.
I got the rod and surfaced then realised I was in a bind but was able to strike out for the drouge rope which luckily I use a pretty long one with a decent diameter rope so i could hold it.
Was hard even making the 5 meters to the rope with rod in hand and fish on line etc.
Clawed my way back and dropped the ladder and climbed aboard and only then realised I had my glasses and hat on still, so when I dived over I went down straight enough to force the hat to stay on.
I always put my keys and cellphone on a shelf luckily.
I may have been able to get my kit off and make coopers swimming as I am a very stong swimmer but I'm not sure to be honest.
I had the good to be alive feeling but I did shake a bit after that one.

Page  <123>