TM260 Install Advice Please

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TM260 Install Advice Please
    Posted: 27 May 2015 at 10:55am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Guys Im picking up a new TM260 transducer on Friday and looking at installing this myself along with help from a couple mates. Is there any install tips from the pros or anyone who has done it before?
Will be going onto the transom of a Glass boat.
Is it best to have the ducer flat in line with the hull or do you face the beam slightly forward a degree or two?
Can I screw straight into the transom? Would screwing straight into the glass compromise the integrity of the fibreglass over time if water gets in? What do you usually do here when fixing straight into fibreglass transom? Predrill a pilot hole and fill with silicone then screw the unit on?

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 1:15pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would cut a piece out of an old bait cutting board, the thicker the better, silicon that on the transom with screws through it to the hull and fill the screw holes with epoxy resin. Then screw the transduced to the plastic. Then whatever you have done to compromise the hull is well sealed and covered from the elements.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 1:40pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I 2nd Joker's advice RE: Chopping board

Other than that; follow the positioning instructions that come with the transducer and then play with angle.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 1:58pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like a plan. Is it ill advised to mount straight onto glass transom?

I could probably use some H5 timber as a backing if I decide to go that way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 3:23pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would go with Joker's suggestion and install a mounting plate.

It means you can install a different transducer without drilling more holes in your hull

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grampa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 7:25am
Grampa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi,
I have never done it on a glass boat but am also about to install the same transducer on a Ali boat. I think I will get another bracket mount welded on mine.
Plenty of info on youtube about installing transducers on Glass Boats. 
Firstly note that the TM260 is a massive transducer so if you install a stern saver it will need to take the weight about 4-5kgs with kick stand.
If screwing into glass what I saw that was interesting was after drilling the pilot hole. A posi drive screw driver head or larger drill bit was used in the reverse gear on the drill to create a counter sink to prevent the gel coat cracking when screwing on transducer or stern saver?
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 7:54am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

When I attach to my glass boat I always drill a much larger hole than required.
I then mix up glue powder and glue and fill the hole  and let it dry.
Then I drill my screw/bolt hole into the epoxy.
Maybe not important on a trailer boat the same but on a moored boat I think it's a must.
You don't want water entering the glass fibre and wicking around in there or if theres wood in there it needs to be protected in case  a screw/bolt moves and lets water past.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 8:02am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would like to add that if you go for a plastic or wood block it's nice to bring your countersunk bolts in from the back and fit the block with them on there so now you have studs and you can play with stuff and not be backing screws out and re sealing etc if you want to make changes.
Im not a big fan of screws in general below water line and would create a plate with my studs and if I could, drill and glue the holes then run some bolts right through with decent fender washers and a good sealant sandwiching my plate and creating a bullet proof mount.