Maui Dolphin numbers hits all time low

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maui Dolphin numbers hits all time low
    Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:12pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here's the link - environmentalists are concerned about lack of govt action and fishing's impact on numbers and want more protection in the Dolphins habitat along North Island West Coast and harbours.

Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 2:55pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ban all netting within 10miles of coast?are the Maui dolphins nit during off from a type of aids?read somewhere that get a type of herpes's
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 3:02pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sad to see but those little guys are doomed with those numbers sorry to say.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 5:57pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haven't seen any for three years, but on two occasions had  a pair swim past while i was anchored in close off Mokau. Hope i get to experience them again, but its not looking good. They have  wide areas with no netting allowed down here, but they could be dying off naturally?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:28pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

At least the story is getting some international publicity (e.g. http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32872037  ) and quotes like this will have more effect than a few more dolphin deaths: "New Zealand has to abandons its current stance, which places the interests of the fishing industry above biodiversity conservation
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:55pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Gowest Gowest wrote:

Sad to see but those little guys are doomed with those numbers sorry to say.
You terrible man. How dare you be so realistic!

Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 7:09pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cant say ive ever seen one out west but hope one day i will, not looking good tho
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 7:32pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Black robin got as low as 5. kokako super low too.
I was lucky enough to see over 20 by mussel rock raglan, last year with my dad and wife. When I reported it DOC they said bullsh*t they only hang out in small groups up to 3. Then I told them I saw young 2 babies and 2 older babies again they said bullsh*t they haven't breed for 2 years, then I said they came up to the boat in groups and played for two hours even putting their heads out of the water and making sounds, they said bullsh*t they keep away from boat particularly with young. Then I told them the mothers were pushing their young right up to us, again they said bullsh*t.
So I sent them the photos.:-)
Apparently it was the largest sighting recorded. And the first time behaving like that and with young in two years.
Scored a Maui goodie bag t-shirt etc which was a nice touch. They want to hear from anyone who has sighted a Maui. Usually they send up a spotter plane the next day looking.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 8:13pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

I was lucky enough to see over 20 by mussel rock raglan, last year with my dad and wife. When I reported it DOC they said bullsh*t they only hang out in small groups up to 3. Then I told them I saw young 2 babies and 2 older babies again they said bullsh*t they haven't breed for 2 years, then I said they came up to the boat in groups and played for two hours even putting their heads out of the water and making sounds, they said bullsh*t they keep away from boat particularly with young. Then I told them the mothers were pushing their young right up to us, again they said bullsh*t.
Apparently it was the largest sighting recorded. And the first time behaving like that and with young in two years.
Scored a Maui goodie bag t-shirt etc which was a nice touch. They want to hear from anyone who has sighted a Maui. Usually they send up a spotter plane the next day looking.
Reported my sightings as well Real Deal, ended up with t.shirt in mail. Any chance of posting a couple of your pics? Be Great. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 8:29pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's super cool, and also shows just how little even the "experts" know about these creatures.  Be a shame if they disappeared completely before we had chance to find out more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 11:22am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im out of the country for a few more weeks but Ill see what I can do re posting pictures when back.

Of interest : they were keen to hang with us till we dropped our fishing lines and they would keep their distance or lose interest. Pull the lines in and within a minute they were playing with us again...

They are pretty onto it little fullas. And appear to have a eversion to nylon? sort of makes me wonder about the set net. Based on that snippet of unqualified info I wonder if the trawlers who hammer the west coast are doing the damage. ok just remembered these little guys apparently don't go deeper than 40m so that rules out trawlers...  maybe they hate nylon as they see their kind stuck in it drowning???

Was interesting but.

Nice one Snappa Geoff for reporting - If you got a Large T-Shirt Ill swap with the XXL which was the only size left when they sent mine. I tried to tell them that the photos added 10 pounds!! how rude!
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 11:42am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting observation. Nylon = Gill nets. Dolphins are smart and capable of learning.

If you saw 20 then would indicate population bigger than is believed,unless in the unlikely event most seen by you. But its a big coast so very unlikely
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 1:11pm
Titanium
Titanium

Im out of the country for a few more weeks but Ill see what I can do re posting pictures when back.

Of interest : they were keen to hang with us till we dropped our fishing lines and they would keep their distance or lose interest. Pull the lines in and within a minute they were playing with us again...

They are pretty onto it little fullas. And appear to have a eversion to nylon? sort of makes me wonder about the set net. Based on that snippet of unqualified info I wonder if the trawlers who hammer the west coast are doing the damage. ok just remembered these little guys apparently don't go deeper than 40m so that rules out trawlers...  maybe they hate nylon as they see their kind stuck in it drowning???

Was interesting but.

Nice one Snappa Geoff for reporting - If you got a Large T-Shirt Ill swap with the XXL which was the only size left when they sent mine. I tried to tell them that the photos added 10 pounds!! how rude!
You were so lucky to experience that time with the Maui's Reel Deal. When i reported my sightings had Marine scientists ringing me to describe it!I would of loved to got a photo, keep the camera more handy these days incase i see e'm again. One local here has a blown up photo of one jumping out of the water by his boat. No go on t-Shirt swap they sent me a 3XL.... LOL 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 2:03pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

seen a couple while I was surfing at Piha  25 Years ago.
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 3:52pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

the Gov/MPI dont give a rats ass about these dolphins, unless there is a outcry from over seas and a ban is placed on our fish exports the quicker they are wiped out the better, 
why because it is holding up exports they are not able to catch the fish outside the boundaries set up at the moment,     
will be back to normal the instant the dolphins have gone,
my conspiracy is the Gill netters will wipe them out quietly at night then scream there are none left give us back our inshore fishery..  

that is how the world seams to work these days: money rules over everything...  
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 3:55pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wonder how they arrived at that number. Suspect they may just have applied their "5 deaths per year" assumption to the previous estimate of 59 in 2011. From memory, MPI disputes that assumption in a big way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 5:22pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The "Experts" say there are less than 50 left. I would say that is B.S.  Reel deal saw over 20 in one place and with photos also showed that this species does what the so called experts say they dont do.
So with population almost certainly higher than stated there is a very good chance of saving them.
Right now we have a 2 N.M net exclusion zone from Kaipara to Taranaki,which also covers part of the Manukau and to 6 N.M off Manukau heads. Is this enough.? Or are nets in fact all of the problem. Have they identified other possible causes for the Dolphins demise.Nitrate & phosphates in coastal waters from run off.? More research need be done
There still is a chance to act. Would be a tragedy to lose another species.

Maybe they could be bred in captivity and released back into the wild.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 5:29pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pretty big call to say it's a "species". It has been claimed there is greater genetic difference between the 26 distinct populations of Hector's dolphins than between Hectors and Maui (though I don't know which of the Hector's groups they'd be comparing Maui with, if that was the case). Losing the Maui would mean a contraction of the species' range and loss of diversity, but that's hardly extinction.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 5:43pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

O.K for the record lets call it a sub species. Once Maui was lumped in with Hectors. But now it is regarded as a separate Spp or sub spp. How do Sub species come about. Because the particular population has been separated from other groups for a long period of time enabling variations to occur.Maybe a species ,may a sub species. In which case it could be captive bred and released into a different habitat --ie H.G where it would have a chance of survival. After all Hectors used to roam H.G and bop or so i have heard.?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 8:02pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All I know is the little blighters have saved the lives of Millions of Snapper and other fish so keep them around as long as possible so Geoff can still catch a few of those tiny snapps.Wink
Page  12>