Fishing Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
    Posted: 25 May 2015 at 2:12pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well there are plenty of sharks here, we landed a massive thresher, and a huge bull mahi.
Mahi on one of my small lures.
Hooked far to many sharks.
There are marlin here saw others catching them.
Different boat tommorrow maybe this launch will have a fish finder a gps oh and the skipper is prepared to stop and chase the marlin instead of driving by in fact driving by any species like tuna and mahi which he continued to do.
Well doing it tuff, others seemed to have more luck.
Hope to actually use a rod soon that will be novel.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote balls deep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 3:34pm
balls deep View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i have fished alot up of the mainland of mexico i just got back it pays to ask around and find a reputable skipper most of the guys are super lazy and just want ya cash and have no concern whether ya catching fish or not they see it as easy money from the gringos but when ya find a good skipper they are hell fishermen it helps to speak some spanish or have a capitan with some english have a shot up the east cape land based for rooster fish they love poppers and liveys even more hope ya slay it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Merci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 3:52pm
Merci View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bugger Matt! Hope tomorrows a better day for you! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 4:02pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well other 3 boats in our group had fabulous results, one with 7 marlin, sharks and mahi, another 3 marlin and sharks and mahi and the third, marlin just not sure how many.
They had real skippers who gave a **** and new how to find fish and the anglers had a fantastic day so pleased for them.
Let's hope our organisers don't provide any more duds as 2 of our fleet one bad and one that caught seven marlin are not with us for the next several days.
So more ringins lets hope they are up to the mark.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Griffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 4:03pm
Griffo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Mattoo. Let us know if you find a good charter operator. keen to hit up Cabo later this year. are you chartering the boat or doing casual trips?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 4:05pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Based on today's results Griffo, the following boats have outstanding skippers and excellent deckies, they are "Go Deep, Go Deeper, and Yahoo which did 7 marlin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote huntaway.tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 5:12pm
huntaway.tom View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That's a shame mattoo.

I went on go deep last april and went 7 from 10 in 2 days.

Griffo, I highly recommend go deep, the crew were great, even fished passed 'lines out' because there were fish tailing everywhere.
It was awesome to be on a charter, where the crew were so keen.
Ive just got back from Hawaii and the Mexicans blow the americans out of the water!! (I am sure its not like this everwhere)

go deep was $800 US/day
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 5:31pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Keep the updates coming Pal, great reading. Be patient your season is not over yet.Wink
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 6:14pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

were have you been fishing
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 11:38am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Paul, based at Cabo San Lucas so first day went left and out about 10-15 miles, hard to say as the guys had no tech at all just big screens they couldn't use.
Today absolutely zip and nothing, haven't talked to other crews. Did see and cast at a sail with livies and stickbait, but fish had no interest, saw 2 wahoo I brought to the boat with a popper. Better crew and boat "phantom" but still unsure were or why they are taking us. We went straight out, say 8 miles then left down 10 miles back into coast within one mile and then back home tight to the coast.
Just bought a chart so I can track these guys to see if they are going anywhere near fish zones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 7:25pm
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Hi Paul, based at Cabo San Lucas so first day went left and out about 10-15 miles, hard to say as the guys had no tech at all just big screens they couldn't use.
Today absolutely zip and nothing, haven't talked to other crews. Did see and cast at a sail with livies and stickbait, but fish had no interest, saw 2 wahoo I brought to the boat with a popper. Better crew and boat "phantom" but still unsure were or why they are taking us. We went straight out, say 8 miles then left down 10 miles back into coast within one mile and then back home tight to the coast.
Just bought a chart so I can track these guys to see if they are going anywhere near fish zones.

Navionics on your phone will work. As long as you zoom in on the maps while in 3g or wifi
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 2:36am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Welcome to Mexico!

Maybe you should just stick to el squid row? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 2:47am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes,thanks. On my pad just burning data as havent been able to get local SIM card yet.

However back to the great fishing.
And I do mean great. We are 4 teams of 4 on different boats each day.
Well today one team landed 10 marlin one of which was albino/ white. There is a strict catch and release policy here which of course is great for the fishery. Today there were two fish that didn't make it, one processed by the props which I understand made shark heaven in an explosive way, a sight to behold at the stern of your boat, the other had two tax cuts so boated and becomes food for the crew, they can't on sell just eat.
Another of our boats got 3 another one we had nada.
We did see a sail but he would not engage in our offerings, we also dragged in two wahoo by popper but they were only sight seeing.
The sail was unsual as they arrive about 3 months further on.
They boat we were on today was well equipped and good guys just not our day yet.
Some of the stats for our teams so far is.
One team has now landed 16 marlin in two days. They also had a triple strike and land and they had the albino. Boy are they pumped.
Lay day today and most are off to Hotel California, will be interesting.

A great and varied group of kiwis many well travelled fisherman.
The wives are in shopping nirvana and husbands returning each day are nervous.
The food is varied in style and pricing. Tequila is often sampled and at times free, and very smooth so dangerous. Beer and rum is the drink of kiwis choice.
Hotel is all to ourselves a few minutes walk to marina and very quaint.
Off to breaks now will let you know in a couple of days how it goes, looks promising.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 1:33pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

map sent.

check your emails from dropbox  Cabo SST

cHEERS
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 5:59pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great day today for us and a milestone for one of our other boats.
Finally out on " Go Deeper", we trucked flat out 30 nm into the sea of Cortez and worked the zone hard, very hard. Boats for Africa all around catching fish after fish after fish while we still watched on.
To rub salt into the wounds we had tailing marlin constantly in the gear but no takes, and to add insult this 1.5 m little stripy jumped around our boat giving us the finger for nearly 3 minutes never the like I have seen.
Finally after midday in some horrendous heat we finally broke our duck and landed a 80 kg, and by the end of our day we all got marlin, 5 in total for us, Ya bloody hoo, duck broken.
I personally got my fastest marlin capture, literally 2 minutes.
But the big news for us all was one of teams in the sister boat " Go Deep" landed a 600 lb blue, on 40 lb in about 40 minutes by a lady angler whom this was her secon fish ever the first 2 days ago.
Outstanding result.
It was 24 degrees water Paul as I forgot to mention that. This temp was unusual and a good reason that this area had 2 blues today. We were all in this zone. It was very exciting stuff.
For the skippers of our four boats 17 for 3 days for " Go Deep" now.
Shes a u beaut place this, and the real season is still some months off, Crikey.
Foods great, people and facilities are excellent. Gotta be a go to place to go to for any kiwi fisherman, bring plenty of money and time don't shortcut here or you may miss out.
Well another early start, let you know tommorrow what happens, it could be anything.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 7:05pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Woohoo, way to go. Well done.Thumbs Up
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 8:02pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Cheers MATTOO , very cool stuff, man that first marlin a while coming.
Give that man a DB/Corona/....?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 12:27pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

mexican captain held hostage with greenstick on cnn
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 6:39pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Apologies I haven't posted, God it's been full on.
Just finished after party. Sorry I'm a little two sheets to the wind.
Between 4 boats over 5 days our stats are 70 striped marlin and 1 blue and a handful of mahi.
It is efen awesome with our last days fishing for all boats unbelievable.
If we use heavier gear than 60 lb leaders say 200 lb we would of landed 20 - 30 fish per boat just today, only sheer physical exhaustion in intense heat would of been our limiters.
I thank all who have bee there to help and I will post a full report with picks when I return while sucking down that tequila. With vids and literally hundreds of photos the full report will be on my return.
The group returns tommorrow and I will stay on to try some sword drops.
One more week for me in Fishermans hell. Lol.
I have got say this today more fish than we could catch, 50 boats in ou area all with double hook ups or more while tens of free jumpers in between the boats, as where endless sharks jumping being hooked for 6 hours, I kid you not, and we left with it still going off, you could of used a banana off the side of the boat, but I assure you 3 - 4 on regularaly is just bloody chaos and so so so so much fun,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 10:03am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

looking forward to your report MATT!! sounds like the place to be... with all this snow wind and rain we have been having here!
Page  12>