The Best Frying Pan

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 12:16pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just thrown away our non stick electric pan.brought a s/s one and cleans up well holds it heat.a bit pricey but saves the scrubbing.seasoned it well seems to be the answer like a ci pan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 2:26pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I scored a Le Creuset skillet at an op-shop for $4 or something. It's a glorious thing and does just about all of our cooking.

Clean-up.... never use any detergent or anything as it will degrade the patina. Give it a real good scrub then get it decently hot on the gas stove to dry it. Leave to cool before putting away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 4:59pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Our pans had since early 70s
Just rinse under hot water when still hot.. bit of a steam cloud, only an issue if gave ones glasses on Wink
And as it is still quite warm when clean , just throw in the pan draw.. drys quick.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 5:00pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

$4 what a steal.
I do have a chefs pan in SS(Western wok) seldom used.
Seasoned well and very non stick really.
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 8:03pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cast iron seems to be the go - but declining in popularity die to more convenient, cheaper and lighter alternates?

they certainly weight a ton - suspect that puts of some people esp. women?

and they need to be dried and oiled a bit before putting away?

i havent currently got any - but when the time comes for replacement of current units, am likely to procure a few Lodge pieces 
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 8:16pm
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter Bounty Hunter wrote:

and they need to be dried and oiled a bit before putting away?
Nope, well not in my experience beyond the initial seasoning I find that by not using detergent the oil/fat of meat being cooked adds to the coating/pattina. My current CI pans are about 6yo now and improving all the time. Another 4-5 years should just about have them perfect
Big smileBig smile

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 8:38pm
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I have got an old heavy duty cast iron pan with removable wooden handle that I could never cook properly with.
I spoke to Derek F off this forum who is a chef and this is what he said to do, since I followed and did what he said it has been perfect and is all we pretty much use now..
------------
First thing is to get them cleaned as good as possible.  You are trying to get them back to a raw porous looking cast iron surface. Probably a major wash in soapy water then put on an element or gas and get hot for some time, say 30 mins.
The crud that is fixed to it will become a bit flaky and you can work towards scraping it off. Metal spatula on the flat one, wire brush on the other.
When you think you have it properly done (will look dull and porous)
Remove handle and put them in a preheated oven 280C with a light layer of vegetable oil or melted shortening for about an hour.
Let cool, then wash out under plain hot water put on the element and work in a light coat of vege oil with the spatula ....it should end up looking shiny and sort of smooth again. 
Should be good enough but you can repeat things until you get it perfect.
From then on, when using, heat the pan and a smidge of oil or fat before the food goes in. And I only rinse the pan under running hot water.
If all is right eggs or cheese will not stick.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 9:26pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The best fry pan is ....... one with bacon in it
Page  <12