The Best Frying Pan

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Best Frying Pan
    Posted: 22 May 2015 at 10:02pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK you great cooks out there, what brand of frying pan is the best all rounder, cook fish, steak, simmer stuff, eggs, fritters etc. it needs to stay perfectly flat when heated (I have had some pretty expensive frying pans in the past but they all seem to warp when at medium to high temperature). Also heat needs to distribute evenly. Looking for a large frying pan >30cm, also preferably comes with a lid. Does such a frying pan exist?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 10:08pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I only use one, it's 20 years old and i bought it at the Warehouse. It's cast iron and not at all flash looking. It's very heavy and really good.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:08pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cast iron for me also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:20pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Out of interest.......when you cook with a cast iron frying pan.....iron leaches into the food.....so you get a good dose of iron with each meal........while this is good for women's health....especially through their breeding years ...its not so good for men......as men do not have a need for iron like women do(menstruation)......iron build up in men is linked to increased risk of heart disease and heart attacks..............as for non stick teflon thats even worse !
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:33pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats interesting info. Will be aware of that. Agree avoid tefflon. Maybe stainless steel would be the go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 12:02am
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have used cast iron pans for years, takes a bit of getting used to how they heat up and hold the heat but once you've cracked it it's hard to use anything else.
Best advice I was given many years ago was to "season" with a light coat of oil over a low heat every now & then, no metal utensils, only ever use water to wash (no detergent) and soak as necessary to soften anything burnt-on. over time the pan will develop a black surface and if treated right will be pretty much non-stick.

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 12:50am
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i use my cast iron pan as well. wife has tried to het rid of it a few times in the past. now she uses it herself sometimes.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:40am
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks guys, I had a suspicion the consensus was going to be cast iron,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 7:45am
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ditto - treat as Wayno suggests and don't use detergent. Easy to clean under hot water when the pan is still hot. Metal handle only so you can finish those nice steaks in the oven.  Better and cheap as chips compared to the $400 ones!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 10:01am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cast iron or 'black steel' the latter is basically a thicker steel mainly used for higher end Asian cooking / woks etc

Look for a pan with a reasonably smooth  flat inside surface.. rough but not real rough.. it will wear smooth over time.. wooden handle preferred.. and get several sizes.
Cast iron must be broken in and cleaned correctly to work right as a non stick pan.When intially purchase heat up and give a good scrub out to remove any oils.
Then 1/2 to 3/4 fill with cooking oil for fat , heat up till the surface of the oil is just smoking.. tiny whisps starting to appear on the surface.. turn off the element and let cool down.
Pour out and wipe out with a handy towel .
For cooking, a little oil over the bottom, ( 1st even when poaching) do not put on heat 'dry'  this burns the oils in the porous cast iron..when to temp throw in whatever u are cooking.
Never over heat espec to the extent where the bottom distorts.. if do throw it way, it wil never cook the same again.
Cleaning.. while still hot, under the tap, big steam cloud and a good scrub/ scrape, then into the draw or hung up while warm so drys quick.
Never leave to soak..
Never EVER use a detergent.

Basically the same applies to a  black steel wok.
We are still using the same pans for over the last 40 yrs

Teflon.. ever cooked up something than needs a hotter pan .. like crispy bacon, .. then next day  sort of have that achy legs feeling  along with other symptoms like a little short on breath, of getting a cold or flu?  then nothing comes of it?
Teflon poisoning.
Read the fine print in the packaging ... do not over heat pan and do not use with pets, in particular birds around.  We lost a Sulphur Crested, a Rossella and a kakariki when friends where looking after them while away...
Miners used to take canarys down in the mines ..when the birds looked sick, they got out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 11:29am
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Steps, some good stuff there, looks like I will be getting some more cast iron frying pans.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 12:13pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

booths cast iron pan about 50yrs old,do not scrub and oil occasionally.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 12:14pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Where would you rate a good stainless steel pan.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mmmWord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 8:42am
mmmWord View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cast iron skillets are great for frying fish, meat, eggs etc. If you're after a rather large pan and want to be able to cook sauces etc in it, I personally wouldn't recommend bare cast iron for two reasons: 1) a large cast iron pan will be heavy as hell, and 2) cast iron doesn't like being used with acidic sauces (tomato-based pasta sauces, vinegar in the water for poaching eggs, etc.

Non-stick has problems for various reasons, as others have mentioned (scratching, killing budgies, etc).

So depending on exactly what you want to do with it, the ideal would probably be:
1) A cast iron pan of whatever size you need (not too huge). Lodge make reasonably good ones, though way overpriced in NZ. I prefer the old one I got from mum's place, though I did spend a bit of time cleaning it up and seasoning it before use. Once seasoned, this will be awesome for any frying you'll do. Make sure it has a metal handle so it can go in the oven (I roast chickens in mine).

2) a 3 or 5-ply (aluminium core) large stainless saute pan with high sides for making sauces etc. I got a good deal on an end-of-line 30cm Scanpan Fusion one for about $100 (pictured below) which I absolutely love, but there are plenty of other options both cheaper and much more expensive. I use it for poaching eggs, making pasta sauces and curries, cooking veges, all that kind of stuff. It goes in the oven too.

It is not as non-stick as a good cast iron pan, so not so great for cooking fish etc. That said, as long as you let it heat up a bit before adding the food (flick some water in and it should roll around like mercury), and use a bit of oil I find that it's pretty good when I need to do larger batches than my cast iron can handle.

Scanpan Fusion 5 Saute Pan and lid 30cm

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 6:40pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yip i got one of those scan pan ones mate 5 years old and is magic to use nice and heavy love it
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:05am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Should have mentioned above... when buying a cast iron pan... get a feel... how well it balanced in your hand, how the handle feels, grips....like a golf club or gun or fishing rod.. needs to feel comfortable/ right... and have several different sizes....matched to quantities u are cooking at the time.. or dont want to cook or cant the steak, mushrooms, eggs, tomatos, onions,hash browns and fried bread in the same pan at the same time.

Good point on acidic cooking thu....As I mentioned, poaching eggs.. anything , bit of oil or fat heated THEN add water whatever.....tomatoes etc.... As SO important as I mentioned above ALWAYS dish up what ever u have cooked out of the hot pan, then straight under the water while hot , quick scrubb, big steam ball... in the draw dry....no issues...
leave to 'soak' to clean up later, even if re heat no matter what u cook u will have problems...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mmmWord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:38am
mmmWord View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep, though adding a bunch of cool water to a very hot pan risks cracking it due to rapid temperature change (especially with enamelled pans). I wait for it to cool a little, or add the water a little bit at a time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 8:55pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Agreed, Lodge are over priced in NZ.
26 cm Lodge skillet in the USA for around $20.
Expect to pay 3-4 times that much here,sales excluded.
However,for a skillet that will be passed down your family line for generations,still a bargain really.
Bonded alloys can cost several times more than this.
Lodge skillets have assist handles opposite the main long handle.
This lets one have better leverage when lifting the skillet.
I would advise against a CI pan with a wooden handle.
As you would lose the versatility of placing said CI pan in the oven or under the grill,BBQ etc.
Use an oven mitt of tea towel.
A decent sized CI Dutch oven is great for making bread and deep frying.
Beef dripping is great for frying,higher smoke point than most veg oils.
CI cookware is making a big comeback around the world as of late.
For the above mentioned reasons,and the negative health issues with Teflon coatings.
Also, the out of production USA and Euro foundry,s CI cookware lines are collector items worth a few bob if one knows what to look for.
Easy DIY to restore if you find a collectable CI item.
The CI cookware rocks with induction cook tops.Al Brown is the spokesman celeb chef for Lodge in NZ.
Most commercial kitchens have never been without CI cookware of some kind.
What`s good for the Pro`s will suffice for the rest of us too.
Cheerz 

Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 7:45pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm very fond of my cast iron frypan , very versatile tool def stay away from wooden handle as you can finish off your eye fillet or back strap in the oven and as was mentioned even cook a roast in it , you just need to be familiar with your heat source as they can get too hot quickly and will hold it .
Briscoes allways seem to have 70% off sales,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 10:59am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Seems CI (cast iron)skillets/cookware are back in vogue.
Judging by the number of start up CI companies of late.
Hipster maybe?
Thing is with CI cookware though,if looked after well,they can last for decades,centuries even.
In a throw away consumer society,not a great business model.
But hey,screw `em.
Send a few extra $$$ and have cookware you can pass down thru the generations of your family.
Heirloom pieces for sure.
I have 3 pieces of CI cookware that does say 80% of my donkey work in the kitchen now.
My SS cookware has either been flicked off or seldom used.
6",11"skillets and a 4 quart Dutch oven are my go to pieces for the last 4 years now,love `em.

Peace.Via superior firepower..
Page  12>