First time buying a boat

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dazza_68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First time buying a boat
    Posted: 18 May 2015 at 11:47am
Dazza_68 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Guys,

Just moved up to Auckland from Wellington and keen to get into the boating scene! Done a fair amount fishing off the rocks but really keen to get out with a boat.

Been looking around at a few options to buy but really don't know much about them and what to look for. As always, I'm trying to pick up a boat on a limited budget $5k - $10k budget...

Any tips would be great - where to look and what to look out for? So far I've got these on trade me and keen on your thoughts?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=883611940

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=886547244

Thanks! Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 12:11pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As you have probably already been told the condition of the outboard is the most important thing when buying a secondhand boat.  The Bonito has just had a lot spent on the engine which should be good, and as it was done recently you should be able to talk to the place that did the work to get a good idea of engine condition.

But the thing that leaps out abut the two boats is how different they are.  A fibreglass cuddy cabin and an aluminium open runabout.  Do you want a cabin for shelter from wind and rain or is more fishing space more important to you?  That probably depends on whether it's a fishing boat for you and some mates or if you have a family.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 5:32pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Like Keven says .. its about the value of the engine
use the search engine, there are a cou[le good threads about this, what to look for, how the market is ...
Trailer go over with a tooth comb...
tend to go for un painted.. that way u can see what is there.
Lots of other stuff like this in older threads.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 5:22pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Based on my experience of getting into boating, from nothing, over 4 years - I think I should have taken more time to research and find out what I really needed. ie I think I rushed it too much. Its hard, because others' advice is based on what they have experienced; and that's not necessarily what you will want. eg someone says you should have a cabin, but that's what they want, you might not. until you have tried it, you probably wont know what you want.
I bought 4 boats in 4 years. Possibly if I had spent more time on boats with boat owners, I could have reduced that to two boats.
My suggested recipe - spend a lot of time and effort trying to figure out what you want - then buy a boat - then use it for a year or two - then probably buy a different boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 6:33pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looked at both boats but sadly no experience with either. They say the Leda has been out of West coast and also to little barrier. But in what conditions. If you do not have local experience i would get plenty in the boat you buy by using in close until you get to know it well and how it handles.

Motor. Always get it checked by someone qualified before buying. The older the motor the more potential issues unless it has been regulary and well serviced. Ask for service record. Also check boat carefully for any corrosion or rot. Pays also to check outboard mounts etc.
Take your time and dont rush it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 8:25pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Indeed- the primary criterion should be purpose-is it for fishing mainly? As stated, stay in close until more experienced. Or for family trips? At that price a compromise would be tough.
But once you have a boat style, check the outboard and trailer +++. On older boats, consider the boat and trailer as extra's. Hopefully on an alloy boat should be fairly easy to check the condition, but glass boats? Don't know, but have read a few tales of damage and rot with transoms needing replacing.
I speak from limited experience, so it's not gospel. But, my first purchase was El cheapo ply 12' on a home built and painted trailer. The 25hp,outboard ran ok, but the forward/ reverse dog gear was badly worn so on opening the throttle, it would slip and lose power, then as it engaged the prop. Cotter pin would shear. Result- no power....
Second boat, Ramco Tearaway, 5m standard alloy tinny, 60hp Yamaha outboard. Well serviced, the boat was fine, trailer getting a bit rusty though. Nice fishing 2-3 but as with many smaller boats, a bit sensitive to load, don't all rush to one side to check the catch, as it tends to tip.
Finally, decided that the prime function was for fishability, having never owned a car from new I purchased a brand new boat.
Stabicraft Centre console, Yamaha outboard. Happy as.

Anyway, back to your purchase, check details as mentioned- engine mounting bolts, trailer springs, prop and skeg for signs of abuse- gouged or scored from running shallow. Fyran 440's are a classic alloy tinny, but as I've said, I am no expert and only really know my own boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 4:13pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

At a 10k limit the choice is really between a newish dinghy with four stroke motor or old bigger boat with a big old two stroke motor.

If it's just for fishing for one, I'd go for a plastic dinghy with a four stroke. Easy to launch, tough, safe, stable and unsinkable. A guy on here was selling one not long ago. 

If it's for general family use, and you have a crew to help launch etc, then a fibreglass 5m with a cuddy cabin is in your price range and you can put a small fourstroke on the back as a backup. Wouldn't get one of these for single handed use though. 

Other thing to consider is: if price is an issue, which boat can you afford to keep? I take mine out nearly every weekend and it costs very little. Couldn't do it if it was a thirsty old two stroke on a bigger boat, but then I could get out further if I do take it out.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 4:19pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i got my sea nymph for under 8 k i have spent a fair bit on it but runs like a dream easy as to launch by my self,motor is the main thing make sure the compression is good check the plugs etc and make sure there is no soggy transom or floor 
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 5:22pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think you should go for a fish with as many people as you can on as many different boats as you can, that way you'll find out what you like and what you don't.

I wish I had.

Also when you get to the point of wanting to fork out for a boat, take someone with you that really does have a broader knowledge of boats and how the react in different conditions.

I did that and thank Christ I did.

If you can wait till January 2016, you can have my boat for $8K.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 7:15pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by mouthu mouthu wrote:

Hey mouthu What's your boat - got a picture you can post? 
Pretty rough today, went over Mangere Bridge and white caps in channel there.  Cheers
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:12pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Originally posted by mouthu mouthu wrote:

Hey mouthu What's your boat - got a picture you can post? 
Pretty rough today, went over Mangere Bridge and white caps in channel there.  Cheers

My avatar is my boat, not a great picture of it though.

Here you go, 4.0 metre aluminium pontoon with 30hp 2-stroke tohatsu. it's had a few mods since this photo.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Coastguard NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 8:31am
Coastguard NZ View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

We get phone calls from people in your situation quite regularly. One thing we suggest is giving serious consideration to completing a course such as Day Skipper BEFORE buying a boat.

The reason being is that the material covered during the course may well assist you to better identify the boat that will meet your needs and also cover the safety equipment you'll require which will assist with budgeting.

Information on the course is available here and don't forget new members enjoy a healthy discount at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 8:53am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Coastguard Maritime School Coastguard Maritime School wrote:

We get phone calls from people in your situation quite regularly. One thing we suggest is giving serious consideration to completing a course such as Day Skipper BEFORE buying a boat.

The reason being is that the material covered during the course may well assist you to better identify the boat that will meet your needs and also cover the safety equipment you'll require which will assist with budgeting.

Information on the course is available here and don't forget new members enjoy a healthy discount at the moment.

Coastguard Day skipper course X2 - I should have done before I got boat as it made me realise that my ski boat was not right type of boat for fishing in so I eventually sold it.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 10:19am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

The course is a great idea.
Every boat has its merits, but what you are actually going to do with it is the determining factor. Be very clear on what you will use it for, how often and exactly where - this will provide a short list of critical factors, and not "it would be nice to have...". The more accurate you determine your needs the better the boat fit for purpose. Good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 10:11pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A few years ago went to look at a boat. And knowing almost zero about things to look for took a mate along.He did most of the looking . Then he said this. Notice how the boat is kept in the garage and the car kept out side. Thats a good sign. Means the owner gives boat first priority. He then pointed out how everything in the garage was in its place,clean and very orderly.If he is like that it means the boat has been looked after. And he was so right. Was a good buy and well cared for boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote markosharknz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 6:08pm
markosharknz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

How far can you stretch the budget?

Second what everyone else has said.
Along with, make sure you a member with the coastguard.  If something does go wrong, its either $115 / year for peace of mind, or a $280 / hour tow

Fibreglass is generally a nice ride, slightly quieter, watch the ramp + trailer at the ramp
Alloy can handle knocks, bit colder