Unexpected results

Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unexpected results
    Posted: 10 May 2015 at 6:05pm
like_to_strike View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

After almost being skunked out of Matapouri last weekend (thankfully found some kahawai!) I decided I would try fishing new grounds this weekend and give softbaits a real go, ive always taken bait aswell and soon would give up and go back to the smelly stuff. No bait this time. 

I headed off to mcgregors bay with high hopes but upon arriving to my surprise was braking waves an thought nah bugger this its too cold to go for a swim so off to the taiharuru estuary to launch the kayak.

Looked as though it was going to be a primo day.

Then I get out to the entrance and discover its rocky as s hit at low tide which was covered in breaking swell an thought crap im stuck in the estuary! oh well may as well make the most of it. 10ft deep, waters crystal clear, suns bright. might score some kahawai, at the very least ive learnt its got to be dead flat or high tide to fish here, or so I thought.

15 minutes into casting softbaits I finally got a hook up, felt like a kahawai darting around then up pops a legal snap of 35cm quickly disposed it and into the chilly bag for tea.

A further half hour messing around, I was using those bio bait softbaits and not getting too much interest from them or the one I should say only used the one the whole time. anyway swapped over to a gulp and crap first cast tail was gone, 2 more casts foul hooked a piper. 4th cast the gulp was ruined, bugger this ill put my original softbait on.

A massive wave washed in against some rocks next to me so cast into the white water and whack just as I flicked the bail arm over and holy crap im on. amazing how you can be towed in a kayak, thought I had a fair bit of drag set but this fish kept taking line, no nods so put it down to a kingy, probably not legal but a good fight atleast.

Finally I had the fish away from the rocks until it darted under the kayak towards the rocks again, tightened the drag a little to stop it, getting dragged to close to the white water for comfort so one hand on the rod, other trying to paddle in reverse. Luckily the kingy headed back into the estuary and I had it under control finally.

Right below me now I look over and see red not green, crap wheres the gaff, right at the bottem of the bag (typical) sunk it in the lower jaw and it was finally over, I had my prize. you couldn't wipe the grin from my face.

That's it im off home, trolled a rapala xrap deep driver back up the estuary with no action.

Thanks to the guy walking his dog at the time, he was happy to take a photo for me, cheers mate

Fish went 13.5lb, PB of the kayak
plenty of fillets for mum on mothers day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gottafew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 6:14pm
Gottafew View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice one..

When people ask me how we got on I say..Yeah We Gottafew.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dave A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 8:40pm
Dave A View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice fish - good work!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 9:05pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cracker fish LTS . Congrats on the yak pb..
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 9:09pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good work, amazing what can happen when you can't fish your normal spots!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 7:56am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great morning and great report... that's one of the joys of fishing - nekminute!!
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 6:24pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great report & pics - nice fish, and great skills to get it away from the reef.  Thanked.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 7:49pm
like_to_strike View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cheers guys, going back to burley up this weekend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PukeFisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 8:02pm
PukeFisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

mint mate congrats