Crayfish spots Whitianga ??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crayfish spots Whitianga ??
    Posted: 10 May 2015 at 1:46pm
Murret View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello Gents/Ladys

Our work has a house at whitianga so i thought id take the family over and stay for a week.
wanting to know if anyone knows of some good spots or can put me in the right direction for setting a cray pot??
cant venture to far as only have a fyran 440 with a 30hp on the back.
also some decent spots where we can catch a few fish :-)

Cheeers!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 3:38pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Out round Devil's point or South Sunk rock might be worth a look. Key thing is depth but unfortunately the crayfishing is pretty well knackered as the commercial pressure in the area has increased heaps over the last few years. It's a great location - I've been diving there for years and it's a real lottery now. Used to be fantastic - tragic really.

Having said all of that, still worth setting a pot and good luck, hope you get a few.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 3:56pm
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There is a few crays around at the moment with no comm pots in the water, not sure when there season starts. Its nice driving around with out having to keeping a sharp eye for the buoys. We are still finding plenty in the shallows but most are small but still able to get plenty. Southern side of Ohinau is holding a few.
As Grunta says, the place has been hammered by the comms. disgusting really. If I run over another buoy, you can be guaranteed that it will be cut of.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 2:20pm
Murret View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers guys will give it ago!!Thumbs Up