Grunter Hunter Fishing comp

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grunter Hunter Fishing comp
    Posted: 08 May 2015 at 8:12pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Counties Sport Fishing Club will be holding our annual Grunter Hunter competition on May 31. Based at Te Toro on the Manukau Harbour we have a $2000 first prize, $1000 for 2nd $750 for 3rd and some real quality prizes to 10th place.

We've had a great response from the fishing.net community in past years and I'm looking forward to a bigger and better event this year. Let me know on the day if you're from here and I'll register you for a prize draw.

Myself and Zukman are the organisers of this one, giving Craysee, Wefaknis and Dougie13 (legends!) a rest from CSFC duties. There are some lurkers here also that put in a good effort for our club but they are a bit shy.

Anyway, tickets go on sale Monday 11 May from 9.00am and are ONLY available from three sources:

DKM Fishing & Marine 47 Belgium St Waiuku
Counties Locksmiths 7 Roulston St Pukekohe
Te Toro boat ramp 7am til 10am May 31

One feature of this comp is that tickets are $30 per adult and $10 for under 16. Both age groups are eligible for the same prize pool which means that your 5yr old could take home $2000. Pretty cool I  reckon!

The reasoning behind this is that you can afford to take your family fishing. It's a BYO event and it's out in the sticks but please make sure you have a sober driver if you're are driving.

This is our forth event and it has steadily grown from 60 entries to 327 last year. There are only 400 tickets so leave it to the day and you may well miss out.

There will be a complimentary BBQ, raffles (bring some cash) and some drawn prizes. There is no paid advertising for this event (apart from a small local paper standing ad for our club) and I am confident we will sell out.

Of course I'm open to offers and if anyone wishes to donate a prize or two for forum members I'd be happy to hear from you.

May the best man (kid, wife) win!

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 3:30am
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Choice one , looking forward to defending Team Delta Ones 1st place from last year , we will be back and here's a look at last years winner .

COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 6:09am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

Choice one , looking forward to defending Team Delta Ones 1st place from last year , we will be back and here's a look at last years winner .

Wow Skoti that is a nice plump gurnard.  Haven't seen any in harbour yet but maybe they are all over your side of harbour?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 9:39am
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sweet $2000 first prize..... me and my kids and maybe even my wife are in.... thats alot of cash...

cant wait..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 11:15am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Crikey nice prizes...hope to bring a crew up again from the mighty waikato to keep you fullas honest
Although its a bit scary looking at Team Delta ones effort from last year
where are the big carrots hiding this year?
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 6:19pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

OK, by popular demand here's a few gurnard catching tips:

Gurnard respond to many techniques, softbaiting, inchiku/madai jigs, bait and most likely micro & slow jigs.

The trick with jigs and softbaits is to fish them slowly without a lot of vertical movement. I’ve caught gurnard in 50m on inchiku jigs with the rod left in the rod holder. Even on relatively calm days with the lure cast out and the rod left alone, the movement of the boat has given the lure enough movement to tempt a curious gurnard. I have caught them on jigs between 40g & 100g.

For softbaits I use something like a curly tail or crazy legs, something with plenty of action especially in new penny or pumpkinseed type colours although I haven’t done much softbaiting for gurnard recently it is very effective.

Standard type softbaiting techniques and gear works well for gurnard but with baits I’m more fussy.

For bait fishing, flasher rigs are hard to beat. Choose one with a recurve hook in 4/0 size. I like Tarakihi Terrors and Gurnard Grabbers. I don’t use flasher rigs much either, simply because home made dropper rigs are cheaper and I catch plenty gurnard anyway. One thing I do with flasher rigs though is shorten the distance between the bottom hook and the sinker so that the hook sits on the sea floor along with the sinker. Don’t go too big with your baits and make sure the hook barb is well clear of the bait. Good baits to use are mullet, skipjack (bonito) pilchard cubes and mushy old frozen kahawai. Squid can work well at times but I tend not to use it much as it I find the other baits more reliable.

The fussiness part comes from the way I fish baits. I’ll usually make sure that there are three different rigs in use. I’ll generally use a two hook dropper, cast a stray lined bait out behind the boat and if there is current flow I’ll drop down a running rig with a dropper tied halfway along the trace. A deadly alternative is to rig up a flasher as a running rig.

When fishing a dropper rig I like to keep the line between rod tip and the sinker taut. A very small amount of up and down can help too. Most importantly though is not to strike the baits straight away. A gurnard bite is usually very recognisable by a slow nodding of the rod tip. I don’t strike until about the third or fourth ‘nod’ and then I just lift the rod and wind four or five times. Don’t give it a hell strike or the hook is likely to slip out the fish’s huge mouth. A half hearted movement on the rod tip is only telling the gurnard there’s something suspicious about that lump of dead fish it’s trying to eat.

I use sharp hooks, size 4/0 or 5/0 recurves and light line. A 15lb trace is fine and 6lb braid is good too. I also use berley but it’s important to have it very close to the bottom. Gurnard will come right up to the berley bag but with light gear you don’t want to get caught up in it.

I fish shallow water generally from 2m to 10m and look for guts running up onto banks, especially on outgoing tides. Here’s my favourite spot, S37⁰ 05.366’ E174⁰ 40.109’ A  Grunter Hunter winner was caught right here by forum member Wayno.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 6:53pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like it's gonna be a great day. Scored our tickets today for Team Grumps. 

A bit worried seeing the size of last years winner. Definitely a munter grunter. May have to use the smaller ones as live baits to catch something like that.

Good advice Smudge. And I see you brought the first ticket from DKM so that people have to call you Number 1!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 7:40pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep, micro jigs are good for gurnard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 8:36pm
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the tips smudge - most appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 12:18am
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Excellent event Smudge, really enjoyed the last 2 visitations but the Whakatane club has rescheduled the 7 species tournament to the same weekend so will have to get my creative powers working overtime for this one unless we get another postponement... (fingers crossed!)

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 7:45am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

There may be a few boats on your spot this year anyway  Wayno Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 2:28pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'm getting a few inquiries about this comp.

Here are the rules:

If cancelled due to bad weather the follow up day is June 7 2015 – Cancellations on Ch 5 at 6.00pm the night before the comp

MANUKAU HARBOUR & WEST COAST                               ENTRY FEE: ADULT $30                                                           16 & UNDER $10

OPEN TO ALL – ANYONE CAN FISH

SPOT PRIZES - RAFFLES

There is only one category prizes for 1ST to 10TH Heaviest gurnard - Juniors compete for the same prizes as adults

QUALITY PRIZES                                                                                                           COMPLIMENTARY BBQ

RULES:

1       Anglers must present their ticket to the Weighmaster to be eligible for prizes even if not weighing a fish

2       All fish must be caught on a rod & reel

3       Fishing starts at 12.01am Sunday May 31st. Weigh in is from 3.00pm to 4.00pm. Anglers must be in the weigh in queue at the Te Toro Green Shed by 4.00pm on the day of the competition – no exceptions

4       Anglers may fish the Manukau Harbour or Auckland’s West Coast

5       There will be no drawn prizes apart from Spot prizes. EG no 10th place fish – no prize drawn

6       Spot Prize winners must be present to claim prizes

7       Juniors must be 16 or younger on May 31

8       Only one gurnard may be weighed per angler. If two fish the same weight are weighed then the first of those fish weighed will be deemed to be the heaviest

9       There will be no alcohol sales at the venue

10    Safety is every skippers responsibility.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 10:32pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got our tickets today... got my spot and bait.. cant wait
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 9:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Its looking good too steve and tickets are selling well. Good luck!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 7:47pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Are ticket numbers limited or can I turn up on the day and get tickets.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 9:53pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

off the top of my head theres 400 tickets, if any are left over you will be able to buy them at the te toro boat ramp for a few hours in the morning..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 10:45pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yes, Wefaknis is correct. Tickets will be on sale at Te Toro boat ramp from 7.00am til 10.00am. Tickets are limited to 400 so when they are gone they are gone. PM me if you have a problem getting tickets.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 6:54am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hope weather is good for you guys - was foul this weekend - that's the only problem I can see at the moment...
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 6:16pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Weather will be great! I've arranged it Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 6:38pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got my tickets today , see ya's there Thumbs Up
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Page  123 4>