Trying conditions on the Muddy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (7) Likes(7)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trying conditions on the Muddy
    Posted: 07 May 2015 at 12:36am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes Sir, horrific weather LOL

Bro inlaw txt Fri..... Fish Sunday?? Hell yeah was reply..
Left Mangere Bridge ramp 7 ish.
Turned on the Navionics app, loves this app. Stuck on the harbour no more LOL Headed towards P channel, Then Bro said this looks like a nice spot, app showed we were at the deepest part of the P ch. Ummm yeah ok bro. I prefer the edges myself but hey why not.
Set ourselves up, burley going 1st pillies deployed. Half hour later nothing happening LOL
Then his rod goe's then mine. He had a 10lb snap & mine was a 8lb snap. I was in shock but quickly regained senses & back into it. Combo's I used Penn Fathom 12 with Penn Legion rod running 10lb braid & Daiwa Lexa 300 on a shimano Vortex 5-8kg rod running 30lb braid. T Curve Revo I got for it being modified longer butt cause I like to put it under my arm Right handed so under left. Anywhooo 1st blood to the Penn & 2nd & 3rd & 4th!. Lexa whats up. Added another sinker to strayline. Whole pilly tossed out 10 mins so later boom freight train jumps on & Penn is off too holding both rods & wat da ... hand the Penn to the bro & get stuck in to this fish. The line on the penn breaks off, tangle with other line? probably. Line is racing off the lexa, slowly do drag up a little at a time remembering 30lb fluoro not as strong as 30lb braid so easy doe's it. Man this fish is using the current & how!!! finally it surfaces out behind the boat, was just a matter of skull drag em now see it doing circles, still using the current. But in the net & woohoo bro weighed it for 16lbs!!! yeah baby!!Big smile nice way to blood the lexa properly. No decent photo of it cause phone was down to 20% better save for trip back Shocked  It was a slow day out there get a quick flurry then dead for an hour then another bite. In the bin I managed 7 snaps 6-16lb & 2 ky. Not too bad a day at all...  Bro netting his 10lber.

GO Penn Go

Love you Lexa Embarrassed

Mangere Bridga Ramp not bad at all

Might be back out this Sunday fingers crossed...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 5:51am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanked - great fishing guys.  Congratulations.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 6:39am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

That's a great haul chur.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 8:50am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report John.  (Thanked).
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 2:06pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome stuff John, I knew there were big fish in that channel.  One day I hope to find some.  How do you get your burley down that deep with those currents?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 6:07pm
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

Awesome stuff John, I knew there were big fish in that channel.  One day I hope to find some.  How do you get your burley down that deep with those currents?

Current wasn't really that strong, was hanging off the back lol. Bro usually tie's it to the anchor. Me thinks a visit to FCO to find a burley thingy hopefully.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 7:25pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work John, that's one hard day in the office!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 7:47pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great Snap fishing on the Muddy John! Thanked 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 9:07pm
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by John_Ra John_Ra wrote:

Current wasn't really that strong, was hanging off the back lol. Bro usually tie's it to the anchor. Me thinks a visit to FCO to find a burley thingy hopefully.

Nice fishin mate, well done. Shocking conditions lol

The only burley thingy you will find at fco is the girl behind the counter I reckon. She's pretty darn empty here in the Waikato, and am guessing it's the same up there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote peeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 10:03pm
peeda View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great report!! And bloody nice snaps!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 10:25pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Like your modest style John. --a bin of snaps to 16lb is not a bad day.  I would call that a awesomely up there  ,wow factor, stratosphere reaching day  in the muddy.
Well done.Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 11:50pm
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fletch Fletch wrote:

Originally posted by John_Ra John_Ra wrote:

Nice fishin mate, well done. Shocking conditions lol

The only burley thingy you will find at fco is the girl behind the counter I reckon. She's pretty darn empty here in the Waikato, and am guessing it's the same up there?

Yeah pretty much, still gonna go for a nosey.... Maybe see if any bargins at the Boat Show too..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 2:44pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Clap Wow John what a great day you had out their.
      Great report & some awesome Snapper that were landed their too!!
       & some great photos, Cheers for the moments & you will be a happy chappy for the days effort !!