Should I buy a GoPro?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I buy a GoPro?
    Posted: 06 May 2015 at 9:23pm
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Or should I just buy a cheaper alternative?

I mainly just want a waterproof stills camera that I can have the option of strapping to my head or shoulder when I want to shoot something.

I just spoke to a mate who has a GoPro and he reckons that the mounts/spare batteries/accessories are so much more accessible than the cheaper versions that in the long run you save money on the GoPro?

Thoughts?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote haveagobro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 9:27pm
haveagobro View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Buy one....hero 3+. and shoot as much as you can. Buy some simple mounts or make them. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 9:32pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Drift Ghost S runs rings around any GoPro IMO, have used both extensively. However, if exclusively diving, then yes to a GoPro. Any action cam can fit basically any mount made by any manufacturer as most can utilise a 3/4 thread.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 9:56pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheaper tooo.
Has anyone tried the new teeny weeny ghost drifts?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 10:00pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, I like it, but the battery is non-removeable, so limited to the 3.5hr at 1080, same rotating lens, but the LCD is a bit lacking in interface, will do 120fps at 720 and image quality is excellent. Would be great for cyclists / skiing . vlogging etc. Same 3m depth without case rating and does not seem to fog.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 10:28pm
Titanium
Titanium

impressed with the picture on the s , got late in season so missed some action not being familiar with the tagging feature - human error doh,!.
Thinkin it's bit big for the helmet while snowboarding , small version may be the ticket for that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 10:33pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There's only a few grams in it Mike between the GoPro and Ghost S, GoPro often state the weight of the camera OUT of it's case which can be a bit misleading, but it's a bit less bulk. Still misses that all important rotating lens and of course nothing comes close to that dedicated time-selectable video tagging... it's just awesome, but yes, takes a bit of getting your head round.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 11:02pm
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 8:03am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My fishing buddy dives, so he went with the go pro, so I followed him so we could swap mounts and what not. Pretty happy with what we have thus far, the underwater footage is awesome, and the above water footage is adequate.

We use the head mounts underwater, and have a pipe mount on a broomstick, and a railblaza rig for on the boat. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 10:04am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This was shot the other day on a Shimano Sport Camera utilizing 3rd party mounts….waterproof to 10m without a housing which means nice clean unmuffled audio…..always frustrated with GoPro audio when housed from an editing point of view…plus there is awesome connectivity between the Shimano Cam and Smart devices….can side load footage from the camera directly to the phone camera roll without cables….from there can be edited and uploaded to social media or news desks straight away….one of the other real advantages I've found with the Shimano Camera is from the off position to full record mode takes 2seconds…..a true "action" feature….I've had GoPro take 15 seconds or more to get in to record mode…..anyhoo

I've never used a Ghost but always enjoy the footage FlyFisher posts up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 4:06pm
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for your input everybody. The issue I see with most of these options is that they are all action camera's geared towards taking video.
I am really after a waterproof and shockproof stills camera that can also take video occasionally.

PS - do none of the options above have zoom?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 4:33pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Quite right, had a great run out my Panasonic FT and Pentax Optio series digital still, all the stills cameras will take video for occasional use, but few will do 60fps needed for decent slo-mo and low-light performance is often lacking.

Any action camera that has digital zoom (none have optical) should have it disabled the first time it's turned on, it's a silly and pointless feature that just pixelates the image. For a waterproof stills... the worlds ya oyster mate! So many out there now, but none will do video as good as a dedicated action cam IMO.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 6:22pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

my go pro has a fish eye lens? no good for still pics of any decent focal length, they are close up cameras.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote catch1t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 7:53pm
catch1t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

love the go pro,, have a lot of fun with it..