A Good Day on the Manukau

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Good Day on the Manukau
    Posted: 04 May 2015 at 9:37am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It was CSFC family fishing comp yesterday, so my wife and I entered.  Conditions were about as perfect as you can get, flat calm water with just a variable 5 knot wind and while warm enough there was cloud cover so it didn't get too hot.  There were four classes in the competition, snapper, gurnard, kahawai and other (no sharks, rays or eels allowed).  We set off reasonably early, not with much of a plan but decided to stop in the Waiuku channel to look for some Gurnard.  After an hour or so all we had found were some small kahawai so decided to move on.  As it was approaching high tide we headed to a spot we use a lot in summer on the top of the tide on the flats between ropers and the Waiuku channel.  Had some great fishing here.  Soon after arriving I caught a nice trevally, not huge but the biggest I've ever caught.  Then we both put some nice fat snapper in the bin and I caught a gurnard.  It got me quite excited as it was the heaviest fish I've ever pulled in, but then it turned out to be a rather average gurnard that had tied the line round the burley pot.  As usually happens at this spot the best fishing was over slack water at the top of the tide, and once the tide started running the bite dropped off.  So we decided t go and try the Papakura channel, where the really big snapper live (or so I've heard, never actually seen any of them).  On the way the fuel ran out and I had to change tanks over.  While we were stopped I saw a few fish on the fishfinder so we stopped there for a quick fish.  My wife caught a nice big snapper, but then nothing so we continued to the Papakura channel.  We tried a few spots, but got nothing at all there.  Finally we stopped near Hudsons deep where I put a kahawai in the bin and my wife put a gurnard in.  Then we headed back to the ramp at around 2pm, feeling quite pleased with what was, for us, a good haul.  We had six nice snappers, a decent trevally, a kahawai and a couple of gurnard.  I was particularly pleased that I at least had something to weigh in for each class as the last few times we've fished we only caught snapper, so hoped to avoid total embarrassment at the weigh in.  Arriving back at the ramp, chatting to others arriving back we heard that most people had found it a hard day and the fishing had not been good.  This made us feel much better about having fish in the bin.  We weighed our fish in, grabbed a drink and a sausage and had a chat with a few people waiting for the results.  I was pretty pleased to come third in the kahawai and snapper section and first in other with my trevally.  The snapper was close, I weighed in a 2.10kg fish and the second place fish was 2.11kg.  That second place fish was my wife, I'm sure she mixed my fish up with hers in the fish binLOL  We weren't the only winners stood at our table, but I'll let mars tell you about his prize himself.  Of course, my luck deserted me when it really mattered -nothing at all in the rum raffle.

Thanks to CSFC for a great day, I hope Smudge has arranged similar weather for the grunter hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 2:51am
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes , Smudge had better have the weather sorted for the GH LOL
Nice work and well done to you and Mrs S , you certainly did well on what was a fairly hard day for most Clap
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 1:33pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Top effort Kevin. You guys certainly scored a good stash of fish, and as Skoti said, most found it a difficult day.

My prize, well I guess I could tell you about it. A really excellent boating first aid kit and also a cell phone holder for the boat. Great product! Thanks again to the sponsors DKM Fishing.

Now to the Grunter Hunter!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 1:53pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for report Kevin.seems both coasts a bit quiet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 10:05pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great day on the water for you and the mrs Kevin.
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 10:45pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yep, excellent effort Kevin, between you and your wife you took out the most prizes per boat - nothing scientific in that but I don't think any boats had a better catch. Skoti managed a trifecta getting one of each species, with our team mate John finally getting a good table fish right near the end of the day while i was relegated to kahawai and trevally duties.

As for the Grunter Hunter forecast, same conditions but colder Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 1:47pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was another great day on the harbour.... My family got 1st prize junior carrot and third adult carrot.... just say'n Big smile

when i ran the knife thu the carrots we had a large plate full of fillets, which is always a family favorite.

Cheers

Wefaknis