Baitcaster Reel, What to buy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gettin jiggy with it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baitcaster Reel, What to buy
    Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 8:24pm
gettin jiggy with it View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have an Abu G Veristas, and need to pair it up with a baitcaster reel but not sure which one to buy. Looking for best bang for buck $150-max $200. Advice please!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 8:36pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

http://www.marine-deals.co.nz/baitcaster-reels/abu-garcia-orra-inshore-baitcaster-reel

If you could stretch another $25 the Curado....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 9:36pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

In that price range, I'd have no hesitation in recommending Citica 200/201.  I have two that have so far managed 5 years of kayak softbaiting, with very little servicing.  IMHO, they're better by far than the newer Curados (my old Curado D series are a cut above everything since...several cuts above the green ones).

"Barrel" cf low profile baitcaster: in that price range, I'm getting quite a good run out of an Okuma Akena.  You can get some really good deals on these. 
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gettin jiggy with it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 9:55pm
Bronze
Bronze

What about the Okuma Citrix 364? has 11kg of drag! and seems to be the only baitcaster in its style with a ratchet? I can get one for $230
http://www.marine-deals.co.nz/okuma-reels/okuma-citrix-364-baitcaster-reel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Helmsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 11:13pm
Helmsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Citrix are wicked reels, have landed some serious fish on mine and yes the drag is ridiculous from such a small reel. Best thing about though is the level wind. It tracks with the spool, not the handle as is the case with most other bait casters meaning you never get sharp angles between the spool and level wind.

Hope that helps
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 8:45pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yeah, Citrix 364's said by people I trust to be a very good reel - but you did specify $200 max....

Note 11kg of drag for an SB reel is just a big swinging dick thing; running 2kg of drag is plenty for SBing, so a reel specified to 5-6kg drag is plenty.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jetfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 3:26pm
jetfisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have a Citrix 364, have been disappointed with some Okuma gear of past but must say this reel feels and works fantastic, would recommend. Should be in your budget picked Rod & Reel for $299 so reel cant be much over $220 ish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gmacx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 10:21pm
gmacx View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by PJay PJay wrote:

Yeah, Citrix 364's said by people I trust to be a very good reel - but you did specify $200 max....

Note 11kg of drag for an SB reel is just a big swinging dick thing; running 2kg of drag is plenty for SBing, so a reel specified to 5-6kg drag is plenty.

The advantage with the citrix is the ratchet - can be used for other applications where the drag is useful.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 10:04pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Ratchet?

I'm intrigued.

Do tell.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 10:53pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think it means there's a clicker so you can leave it out of gear straylining or livebaiting. 

Nice to know when a fish is taking line from a rodholder as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 9:05pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Ah, I prefer total freespool (and, obviously, no rodholder fishing, given that...) for straylining and livebaiting.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 9:10pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another vote for citrix - very good smooth reel.
Pjay you can choose to use ratchet or have total free spool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gettin jiggy with it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 10:07pm
Bronze
Bronze

Citrix it is then. Thanks guys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 9:06am
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My review I wrote on the Citrix 364 can be read here http://northlandangler.co.nz/okuma-citrix-ci-364a/ 

To note that I have run the same year in both Kayak and boat for 2 years now with no issues. Great reel and bang for buck nothing compares. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 12:41pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

And, folks, you can rely on hookerpuka to do you a razor-sharp deal on your new Citrix 364.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gettin jiggy with it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 9:09pm
Bronze
Bronze

I brought the Citrix and it is all I hoped for and more! What a reel. Thanks guys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kramerX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 2:36am
kramerX View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

dude.....does daiwa lexa 100 consider as a good baitcaster?
I mean......for pier and wharf fishing?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 8:40am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

New Citica might be worth a look.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 6:45pm
Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

left handed whichever model you go for Wink