So why do E-tecs get such a bad rap

Page  123 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote M.I.L.F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So why do E-tecs get such a bad rap
    Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 7:31pm
M.I.L.F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So the weather was crap  one my day off so on the pc checking out outboards and reviews and it looks like etecs are really bad motors  in NZ but in USA it looks awsome and the video on you tube are pretty cool 

So WHY are they bad Motors  or are our motor techs just not up to scratch in NZ 

cheers 
KING SMURFIX
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 7:39pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

who cares what the reviews say, or their promotional videos, what people have actually experienced is another thing.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote M.I.L.F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 7:47pm
M.I.L.F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

like what Shrekky 
KING SMURFIX
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 8:03pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

M.I.L.F your a brave man.  But I am interested in what comes up in the debate.  Cheers 
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 8:15pm
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have owned 3 etecs and just love them, currant outboard is 130 hp etec, owned 2   Yamahas had endless problems with both of them. Each to their own I suppose.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote M.I.L.F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 8:24pm
M.I.L.F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Rockstar 
were they new motors or very well looked after motors
KING SMURFIX
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 8:30pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I haven't owned an etec, so can't speak from experience, but looked at getting one a while back, everyone in the industry told me to steer clear of the 200+hp models, but that the smaller engines had plenty of potential for a good life. On paper at least, they seem like fantastic engines!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NumnuT_AUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 9:37pm
NumnuT_AUS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Never owned an Etec, I'm sick of the no servicing for 4 year hype .. Would anyone buy a 4 yr old second hand engine that had never been serviced?, I'll stick to my 4/ thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 9:49pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 9:49pm
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yes all motors were brand new, the ETC s get rave reviews in the states but here they seemed to get knocked a bit. Still as I said very happy with mine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 9:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by NumnuT_AUS NumnuT_AUS wrote:

Never owned an Etec, I'm sick of the no servicing for 4 year hype .. Would anyone buy a 4 yr old second hand engine that had never been serviced?, I'll stick to my 4/ thanks

You could always get it serviced more often. I have an E-Tec, it's been good. I know a guy who said he had an E-Tec and it let him down 3 times when the on board computer thingy failed so he replaced it with a Yamaha now he is happy as. I'd be miffed too if I had a 200hp motor that failed that spectacularly every year. Just one point though, it turns out it was a FICHT and not an E-Tec. In his eyes though it was the same thing.

It appears that OMC had a real lemon and that has cast a long shadow over the Bombadiers brand. Maybe if they changed the colour it would have helped Big smile.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 10:16pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by NumnuT_AUS NumnuT_AUS wrote:

You could always get it serviced more often. I have an E-Tec, it's been good. I know a guy who said he had an E-Tec and it let him down 3 times when the on board computer thingy failed so he replaced it with a Yamaha now he is happy as. I'd be miffed too if I had a 200hp motor that failed that spectacularly every year. Just one point though, it turns out it was a FICHT and not an E-Tec. In his eyes though it was the same thing.

It appears that OMC had a real lemon and that has cast a long shadow over the Bombadiers brand. Maybe if they changed the colour it would have helped Big smile.

I totally agree smudge. I had this discussion today with a local dealer/colleague. I have a 2000 model v6 Johnson, carburetted pre Bombardier and wouldnt change. As he also does. All the history/reasoning may be found in the recorded omc history. Granted e-techs are ok because thats what the organisation comitted to.Wink
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NumnuT_AUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 10:44pm
NumnuT_AUS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Smudge I do agree you can service it more often, but when No servicing is the main selling point then that's just BS for the 90% of people in Aus & NZ who fish on saltwater.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 10:45pm
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I suspect the OTT American marketing machine probably puts a lot of Kiwis off. It's not really our way to shout and brag quite like the Yanks. 
I've had "old-school" 2 stroke, "new -school" Etec and now Honda 4S.
The Etec was fanastic starting everytime (even quicker than the Honda -which starts fine -just like the car). Etec was virtually smoke free (running XD100). The only time i noticed a puff off smoke was 1st time starting after having run the "winterisation" process (which in itself its pretty cool- especially if there is longish periods off the water).
It is way quieter than my old or my mates "old school" Yammie 2S and no bloody waiting for the thing to fire up at the ramp
Having said that the Honda 4S I have now is quieter again and it's bloody annoying at idle cause you can hardly tell it's on unless you listen for it! Love it though.
Can't compare fuel consumption as different HP and boats. 
I reckon for a small-mid sized engine the Etec would be perfect if you didn't do lots of hours and/or lots of miles. 
Can't see why someone would buy an "old-school" 2 stroke these days.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 10:58pm
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Most company's rubbish other competitors products, it's life mines better than yours and people get sucked into it. People perceive that just cause they have a friend who knew a guy that lived down the rd that they are right!, the first E-TEC that I purchased was 08, used it for 3500 hours never missed a beat, we tried the no service for the first yr until the chief engineer decided it didn't make sense, it's been replaced with another E-TEC, yes I work on a yacht, yes they get used more than recreation boat. Would I replace my merc for one, yes I would.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 7:19am
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I've had a 90, 115, 150 & 175 E-Tec.  They have all been great motors and not a problem from any of them.

The servicing thing seems to bug a lot of people and to be fair the USA hype style advertising is in my mind misleading in this regard.  The manual says that servicing is every 300 hours or three years BUT if used in salt water you need to get it checked over yearly, which is what any responsible boat owner would do.
http://www.facebook.com/GForceLures
http://www.gforcelures.co.nz/
[email protected]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 7:50am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Murph Murph wrote:

I've had a 90, 115, 150 & 175 E-Tec.  They have all been great motors and not a problem from any of them.

The servicing thing seems to bug a lot of people and to be fair the USA hype style advertising is in my mind misleading in this regard.  The manual says that servicing is every 300 hours or three years BUT if used in salt water you need to get it checked over yearly, which is what any responsible boat owner would do.
Interesting just shows how aggressive salt water is to outboards - but who was the jerk at Evinrude who decided in NZ where most boaties are saltwater to trumpet 3 yearly servicing?  Sure in US great lakes great idea - my mechanic told me there are 1970s Mercury Outboards still running there.  Done them no favours IMO.   I don't own an eTec but have owned Johnsons 2S - quite frankly has put me off as if 3 yr stuff is wrong what else?  If you don't service from new within 3 yrs and have a problem do they honour warranty?  They should as any owner would be confused.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reelinauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 8:46am
Reelinauti View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome engines. I have a 150, has 1300 hrs on it now. I service it once a year. Has never let me down. My mates comment on how I have no problem going 60 miles from port and not haven't worry about breakdowns. Would I buy another Absolutely hopefully a g2 etec. They will be a game changer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 8:53am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think the bad rap comes from when they went to the Fich injection....that hurt them pretty hard and these sort of things tend to hang on in the 'market attitudes' for many decades on...for anything.

Over the yrs, espec if buying 2nd hand.. if one goes thru brands around the time/ age one is looking at....there is usually 1 brand that stands out.. still around.
And 2 brands stand out to me over others  johnson/ evenrude (even thu I dont think there are many fich engines with the bad injection still around) and merc
just as bighorn does (big time) for 90s 4x4s

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 9:16am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

I think the bad rap comes from when they went to the Fich injection....that hurt them pretty hard and these sort of things tend to hang on in the 'market attitudes' for many decades on...for anything.

Over the yrs, espec if buying 2nd hand.. if one goes thru brands around the time/ age one is looking at....there is usually 1 brand that stands out.. still around.
And 2 brands stand out to me over others  johnson/ evenrude (even thu I dont think there are many fich engines with the bad injection still around) and merc
just as bighorn does (big time) for 90s 4x4s

Yes Steps interesting about brands that are still there over time - early Japanese motors suffered badly from Corrosion (early suzukis were called dispirins - because they fizzed in water) though they seem to be good now and popular.  But of course if you got burnt with one of the older ones or a FICH (I had a mate who bought one new kept breaking down swore he'd never buy a Johnson again) then you remember that.

Page  123 5>