One way scuppers?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One way scuppers?
    Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 12:59pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Has anyone seen a scupper with a one way valve or similar?  [Edit: Looking for something that has been seen to work in a near water line installation].

Either for sale or DIY?

The why is kind of complicated so I won't go into details, but water line at rest at the transom rules out open scuppers.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 1:24pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm sure someone has them every year at the boat show, they display them with a series of boxes stacked up with one each way showing how they only let water one way.  There is a pump putting water through the stack of boxes.  Can't remember who's stand they were on though.  This one seems quite common http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Boat-Clear-Self-Bailing-Ball-Drain-Transom-Scupper-Valve-Seachoice-18271-/301540999390
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 2:20pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Kevin, there are a few available I'm keen to hear which work well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 4:19pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've got the radub (or something similar) on my trophy. They work well but need to be cleaned out regularly as sticks and leaves get in them. Previously I had the ones with just a flap and these newer type are way better.

They are the same as those sea choice ones shown above.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote red rooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 4:30pm
red rooster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have scuppers that let to much water in so I glued screw in bungs in the inside. Works well, usually leave one in one out but with winter coming I'll leave them in an take one out on way home
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Silver Slayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 5:37pm
Silver Slayer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes inside bungs above sealed deck give me peace of mind. Bugger the floating ping pong ball idea, too much maintenance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 6:45pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You can buy the flap type ones from burnsco or smart marine. Had them on a live bait tank below the water line and they worked well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 10:28pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yup, in Burnsco today and they had bungs with short flattened tubes, like Stabi ones.
Not sure of your setup, but I favour closed bungs and a bilge pump.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 2:14pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My current scuppers are 40mm bungs just above deck level, that can be opened from the cockpit.

Long story short I want scuppers to deal with rain water when the boat is on the mooring in The Sounds. 

It rains heavily quite often in the sounds, and rainfall has sunk a few boat on their mooring overnight.

I need scuppers I can trust unsupervised.  Currently I unseal the deck and rely on bilge pumps.