A couple of days off!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A couple of days off!
    Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 7:57am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Our season here in the Bahamas is about to wrap up as the boss wants us to move the boat to the northeast. A couple of phone calls and I had a crew ready to roll out on a 40nm trip to find some yellowfin tuna.

My best man was heading from Florida to his ship in West Africa but luckily he has a very rubbery arm and it took about 2 mins before I got a call back saying he would be there that night.

With more gold and silver reels than we needed we were off at 5am for a very rough ride. We pushed the tender up to 34knots and headed off to Spanish Wells to collect bait.

Spanish Wells is a funny little place..... everyone looks the same....... Kind of like KaiwakaLOL

We met up with our bait guy and exchanged pleasantries while he put way too much bait in our tank!
After getting round the corner we ghetto rigged a chilly bin to our wash down and gave the baits some room to move.

Arriving on the seamount we found huge amounts of flying fish which was a great sign, unfortunately we couldn't find any birds which was less than ideal!

A set of dead baits were put out to start prospecting and not too long after a bill pops up behind the right long... then another on the dredge...... then a dorsal on both left baits. Trying to hook whites is an art form I have yet to master as they are big time window washers. With 5 knockdowns we managed to hook 2 of them and get them both to the boat. Not a bad way to start by getting a double of billfish but... still no birds or Tuna.

After re setting we shortly had a double of Mahi's come in on the riggers and join us for dinner.

And thats when we saw it! a pile of birds and 50lb tunas busting everywhere! so as not to disturb them we went up current, set up the drift and started throwing out nets of pilchards trying to get the Tuna over to us. the first livey sent down got wahoo'd and cut off. 2nd bait and we are tight to a fish on a smaller Stella 5000. As we are still setting up we failed to notice a big sport fisher coming in behind us aiming straight at the tuna. There was some very choice language being yelled  from us and another small boat that had joined in our drift but money can't fix stupid and they went straight through the school and put all the fish down. The fish we had on the stella started to come up and another Marlin. this time on a 40lb leader and 3/0 circle!

Once the tuna school had been destroyed by the big boat we continued on the chunk/livebaiting hoping to get the fish back up but after 3 hours all we had to show was 2 more Mahi Mahi.

By this stage the wind had picked up and with a 40nm trip straight into it we pointed the nose for home. we got a little wet and bumped around  but we made it home in time for a clean up and a couple of cold ones.

The next day we had planned to go bonefishing the next morning and after waking up a little fuzzy we were off on the next mission. We are lucky enough to have bonefish starting 1mile from our marina and after a few stops to check we found them schooled up and on the chew!

Mrs Mozz struck first

Then best man Alex came tight

I nailed 2 within minutes of each other and Alex and Taylor each picked off a couple more. we all stalked one double figure fish that was cruising solo into the shallows but couldn't get it to bite. 2 hours in we had 2 osprey come to the party and each plucked a bonefish out of the school sending them scattering in every direction and ending our session on the flats. Not a bad couple of days off in the place I have been lucky enough to call home for the last few years.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 8:21am
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

nice shots mozz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 8:38am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Very cool thanks Mozz, those colours!!
Ah - so you have muppets there too around baitschools...
the bonefish in that water looks primo.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 9:25am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nice  ! ! Mozz... Always good to see what you are up to !  !! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 11:15am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

choice one Mozz but a small protest if I may…..since becoming hitched the number of bikini clad anglers in your photos has diminished…..

Please sort that out!

Thanks in advance

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 7:52pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

choice one Mozz but a small protest if I may…..since becoming hitched the number of bikini clad anglers in your photos has diminished…..

Please sort that out!

Thanks in advance

+1
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 8:37pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 10:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Mozz, you doing good for a kiwi fulla eh!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 8:54pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice report and Pics Mozz.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 12:14pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

Please sort that out!

Thanks in advance

There is also about 20+ weeks a year worth of fishing pics I can't post as well due to our contractsWink 

But you are right... things have changed since the Mexico days

Next time I am in NZ you buy the rums I will bring the photo'sClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 11:19pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One of the lads made a little vid of a few of the fish from this day.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidoggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 11:21am
skidoggg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

oa mozz ya had me goin there cuzz was expectin to see more of these auw !