Anyone else find 4 hooks sabikis a hassle?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone else find 4 hooks sabikis a hassle?
    Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 1:08pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When I have run out of home made sabiki rigs, I buy the black magic ones, but 4 hooks just end up in a tangle quickly, I even find when I cut off two hooks (always keep them for my own rigs with a unit knot) they can get in a tangle quickly.

They work so well either down deep or under a float from the shore its worth the hassle but can be frustrating.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 1:12pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wait till you get 2small ky on then its a mess
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 1:18pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeh i use to cut the cheap ones down to two. My favourite commercial ones use to be BM midnight mackerel.
Make my own now , use stainless hooks , only two hooks , upper hook small for piper size with lower hook bigger. Clip onto pencil float for night time baitfishing when piper around. 
I believe Uncle on here , makes good ones he sells.

Thought about one of those interline sabiki rods one day to try.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 1:19pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I never really have a problem , but I have a rod n reel I only use for sabikis, (leave sabiki on) and run a decent sinker.. I normally run 6 hooks..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 2:13pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Uncles Sabikis are 3 hooks per rig and are strong enough to even stop Kings Trevs horse Kahawai,
PM uncle you will never regret it.

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 2:14pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cripes cant imagine running 6 hooks off the rocks at night. I have a dedicated sabiki setup too. 6 KY on one hall must be  handful in the dark around the weed.

I make my own most of the time, I use mostly garfish hooks and either chocolate wrappers or glint feather when i have got it.

I love pencil floats. I think even a single hook is adequate if in burley off the rocks for piper on a pencil float. I make sure I keep the fluro sinkers and other bits and bobs I get from used and abused BM rigs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 2:18pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

3 hooks I find perfect on the yak. I would happily use 6 on a boat though to fill a larger tank. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 2:31pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Get a proper sibaki rod where the trace and hooks wind up into the rod blank.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 2:36pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

not sure how that helps tangles from multiple fish running around each other kandrew mate, thats all im refering to. i agree they are hand though for storage.

not sure which fishing show i got the tip to take 2 of the traces off, but was one of the best tips ive had. i dont make my own with more than 2 hooks now and doesnt effect catch rate.

on a boat, totally different story.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 5:07pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive been using 6 hook sabiki rigs - but they are certainly a pain the way they tangle, and very hard to store. The second thing is, the hooks rust away quickly. Anyone know of any rust resistant hook rigs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 5:37pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

if you haven't tried Uncles Sabikis then i suggest you do, its that simple,
will out last anything else on the market and will catch without being baited,
will also catch and land anything else that fancies taking a bite of them regardless of size,
best still is your supporting a Fishing dot member that produces a top quality product that is designed by a fisherman to catch NZ fish... 

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 5:38pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well i find any bait left on the hooks certainly decays them 10x faster. i also spray fish oil on used hooks. to store them off the rod (which I rarely do) i use a foam pad with slits which i go diagonally across. if you just go round in a circle thats asking for a tangle.

the usual catch in a boat is mackeral which i find seldom cause tangles, its when kys get them when im rock fishing i find 2 sabikis more than enough to worry about.

im probably going back to a garfish rig for baitfish in the berley, pen float and splitshot to a double hook rig i tie myself with no room for tangles. i might use feathers, but prob wont bother as piper as baby kys are plentiful in a burley trail and will eat anything.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 6:31pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Clip every 2 hooks together when not in use on the rod to stop stray hooks catching clothes or you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nathchef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 7:59am
nathchef View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Storage wise I just keep them in a meter length of pvc pipe, rubber band top and bottom. Does the trick fine
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 8:13am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When I have run out of home made sabiki rigs, I buy...
I think that maybe your issue there... dont run out..
The best brought I have found are the bite.. thu have not tried uncles..
Bite have good long lasting hooks.

I run 4 or 6 on my home made and short flro to the hooks very well spaced apart... and use line just a little heavier...
8 knot in the back bone.. hook line feed into the top loop, out the bottom , then whipped onto the back bone... used to go thru the 8 knot and uni but found doing so on ledgers was weak..

combine that and the 8 knot holding the line out a bit stiffer and shorter fat less tangles and if does simple to un twist.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 8:31am
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have just ordered one of those inline sabiki rod/reel combos off Tas Tackle on here , he has give a few basic tips too. Will see how it goes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 9:38am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The interline rods are great, saves a lot of hassles with storing the sabiki-rigged rods too as all th hooks are inside the rod. One thing though, the rods are perforce very stiff, which means the you do lose more fish from hooks ripping out of their mouths.
Uncle does have superb sabikis, he uses top quality gamakatsu hooks, which is why they last so well.
Failing that, if you can't find any of uncles, I do like the black magic rigs. I would never go more than four hooks on a sabiki, those that have more....ugh, too much of a tangling hassle!
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 10:42am
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

if you haven't tried Uncles Sabikis then i suggest you do, its that simple,
will out last anything else on the market and will catch without being baited,
will also catch and land anything else that fancies taking a bite of them regardless of size,
best still is your supporting a Fishing dot member that produces a top quality product that is designed by a fisherman to catch NZ fish... 

x2
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 9:13am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive just made a sabiki rig for the first time. Using stuff I already had - 6kg mono line, trout hooks (size 6 and 8), trout fly flash.
Followed a Utube video. Made up a piece of wood with 2 nails sticking out at the spacing between droppers. Cut the length of trace, tied a single overhand knot around each nail (4 times). Then cut 4 lengths of trace for droppers. Tied the droppers to each overhand knot, with a Davey knot (used in trout fishing to join very light line to a loop). Tied flash onto the shank of each hook (in a fly vice), using a heavy thread I use for trout flies. Tied each hook onto the dropper end with a Davey knot.
Looks alright. But a lot of work, and surprisingly hard to tie I found - because, my eyesight is poor and 8 Davey knots in thin flexible line isn't easy.
Im not sure how resistant the trout hooks are to salt rusting.
Incidentally - Ive got a tiny light kids rod for sabiki - the rod and reel cost about $30 - Ive cut the rod short to about 50cm, as I need another 2m rod on the boat like a hole in the head.
Storing the sabiki rig on the boat is a pain - I use a foam piece, with the rig wrapped around it, still a bit messy - those rods with the rig and hooks contained inside a tube, sound tempting.
Im interested in any any tips about making sabikis.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 11:46am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

Uncles Sabikis are 3 hooks per rig and are strong enough to even stop Kings Trevs horse Kahawai,
PM uncle you will never regret it.

Yup can vouch for Uncles Rigs..Thumbs Up  is all you need..  they good for catching Blue Kohe's too

Page  12>