Scary Sh# - steering cable snaps

Page  123 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scary Sh# - steering cable snaps
    Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 6:44pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Happened to me at speed last weekend, resulting in a man overboard, we were lucky the outcome could have been way worse than it was.
It was like the boat had hit a rock and suddenly spun to the right.
With the impact and G forces involved it's not that easy to stay in the boat or get off the floor to regain control.

After this incident there's no way I would be putting rotary steering into any boat I own in the future.

Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 6:46pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah i had my two sons in the boat couple weeks ago and was wondering when the steering cable was last replaced. scary ****. glad your crew is alright.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 7:03pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by CanadianJohn CanadianJohn wrote:

yeah i had my two sons in the boat couple weeks ago and was wondering when the steering cable was last replaced. scary ****. glad your crew is alright.

My boats nearly 4 years old, cable parted at the crimp join, no warning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 7:10pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had one go recently also, when looking into replacement cable was advised they should be replaced every couple of years? Be interesting to see if they break due to age, or number of hours.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 7:26pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have you guys been greasing the cable yearly?  Mine has a grease nipple between outboard clamps and gets a good go yearly anyway usually 6 monthly - grease coming out of all orifices that it can, and I do on outboard as well.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 7:48pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Greasing them will help but they do just wear out, Hugh amount of pressure on them. I just put hydraulic steering on mine, well worth it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 7:54pm
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not good, Was there any sign of it happening, like steering being a little firmer.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 8:12pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I did not notice any difference in steering, a mate was on helm day before afterwards advised he felt it binding. The cable had done approx 5-600hrs, and snapped internally when backing off pontoon. As for greasing them they are prelubed and do not need greasing. Replaced with no feedback system, huge improvement, and cost effective.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Coastguard NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 9:15pm
Coastguard NZ View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

This is another example of a situation highlighting the importance of wearing the Kill-Cord. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 9:25pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by worksux worksux wrote:

Not good, Was there any sign of it happening, like steering being a little firmer.

No more than usual, boat has done 260 hours and steering greased regularly.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 9:27pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very scary stuff ,especially with a four year old boat. Not something you would give a second thought to. Have not noticed but is steering checked at servicing. How fast were you going Potty when this happened.  I usually stand when motoring along for better viz. But standing could make one even more likely to go overboard if this happened.
Wonder how common broken steering is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 9:39pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Coastguard Maritime School Coastguard Maritime School wrote:

This is another example of a situation highlighting the importance of wearing the Kill-Cord. 

Have thought a lot about wearing the kill-cord, agree that it would make a huge difference in this situation.
My favourite type of fishing is soft baiting the wash, being able to start the motor quickly and by whoever is on the boat is why I have it fixed in place. A bad habit that could be improved.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 9:45pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Very scary stuff ,especially with a four year old boat. Not something you would give a second thought to. Have not noticed but is steering checked at servicing. How fast were you going Potty when this happened.  I usually stand when motoring along for better viz. But standing could make one even more likely to go overboard if this happened.
Wonder how common broken steering is.

35 MPH, ironically the sea conditions were the calmest they had been all day and we were going in a straight line.
Centre consul boat so both standing at helm, cable pulled away at the join so not something you would notice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 9:51pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Potty. Think i will stop going WOT until i get things checked. My boat is 3 years old ,but even so. Wonder what cost would be to change systems.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 10:11pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Coastguard Maritime School Coastguard Maritime School wrote:

Hi CMS, I'm not suggesting this isn't a good idea or tying to be clever but I have never seen anybody actually use the kill cord. How often would you say are these are used by skippers? Cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 10:12pm
Titanium
Titanium

so potty, you gonna look at hydraulic then?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 10:13pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by jackel jackel wrote:

Hi CMS, I'm not suggesting this isn't a good idea or tying to be clever but I have never seen anybody actually use the kill cord. How often would you say are these are used by skippers? Cheers 

jackel, i started using my kill cord years ago actually after reading of an incident of another forum member's steering cable going. story scared me enough to always use it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 10:17pm
Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My steering cable parted last week too - in good weather a mile and a half off Mangawhai. A sharp turn to starboard resulted. Lashed the boat hook to the motor cowling as a jury tiller to get home. When taken in for repair was told 2 - 3 years was normal life, anymore than 3 was a bonus, so at nearly 6 I had been lucky. I had never heard about having to change them out - and presumed it would be checked at service and changed as required. No indication of anything untoward, all working fine until it let go. I'm just glad I wasn't crossing the bar in marginal conditions or out at the Kaipara graveyard. Changing at 3 years of they go that long would seem advisable. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastguard NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 8:08am
Coastguard NZ View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by jackel jackel wrote:

There is no formal research that we are aware of but we're guessing that NZ would be far from a leader when it comes to wearing them. Perhaps the Kiwi "she'll be right" approach hasn't helped.

Agencies such as the RYA in the UK have recently launched awareness campaigns to promote the importance of their use, in part triggered by a horrific fatal accident - details of this here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-25948960

More information on their use here:
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 9:07am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The hydraulic steering on my boat failed suddenly earlier this year when the steering arm unscrewed from the hydraulic arm. A much less common thing than steering cable failure but a bull horn type arrangement would be much better than the single action on my boat.  I was lucky we were only doing 10 knots and had only just got through a bar crossing. At 35mph iit would have been a violent turn. Very lucky you weren't hurt.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Page  123 5>