transducer upgrade

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stuart165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: transducer upgrade
    Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 5:20pm
stuart165 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i have a lowerance elite 7 chirp model and am after a bit better performance, want to be able to prospect a bit easier and more effectively. im fishing the south island so will be used in kaikoura, weather permitting off banks peninsular also. question is will upgrading the transducer to 1kw solve my problems or is it not worth it on a low end head unit?

just want a clear picture and good reading at crusing speed. (40kph)

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 5:24pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stuart are you saying it reads okay at low speed and you lose image as you go faster? (if so is probably location of transducer or angle of attack)  or are you after generally better resolution and performance?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stuart165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 9:25pm
stuart165 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

performance goes in and out, has some bad speeds. hoped a higher quality one might set up better.
also want something that will read at the deeper depths that kaikoura has.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 9:43pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like a setup issue as well - you want to optimise location and you need to do for a new transducer anyway, and who knows you might be happy with it after setup correctly- can you post a few pictures of your installation from side and back on boat hull?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 10:00pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You will get a reading at speed but not as good as a slow to stationary speed, the deeper it is the worse this gets.
There's factors like cone shape and power settings that play a part as well
A 1 kW tranny is what you need for deep stuff, position and set up is important.
I've just upgraded to a chirp set up and its wicked, I get a reading at full speed,even get bait schools etc showing up and bottom sign that's good enough to stop on and investigate
But it's way better when I slow down
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 9:16am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

You will get a reading at speed but not as good as a slow to stationary speed, the deeper it is the worse this gets.
There's factors like cone shape and power settings that play a part as well
A 1 kW tranny is what you need for deep stuff, position and set up is important.
I've just upgraded to a chirp set up and its wicked, I get a reading at full speed,even get bait schools etc showing up and bottom sign that's good enough to stop on and investigate
But it's way better when I slow down

Hi Wayne,

What sort of readout are you getting at trolling speed? and what depth is your Garmin 751 good for?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stuart165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 7:18pm
stuart165 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

have been through setup issues here before and getting it better setup. currently ill be trying it a little lower, it is reading ok at under 10kph pretty average then until it gets up onto the plane. then goes ok up to 50kph (reading depths around 40-50m). that is all while setup on high chirp. was prospecting for groper around durville in 150 to 300 meters set on 50khz and couldnt get much reading at all while moving