Stop corrosion off tools, oil?

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stop corrosion off tools, oil?
    Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 10:35am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have some non stainless tools I keep with me. Im wondering if there is anything I can coat them in to keep the rust at bay, I was thinking oil?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 10:44am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i coat all mine in liberal amounts of silicon spray (including the stainless ones)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 10:56am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

plastic tool box,sprayed wd40 on tools,wrap in rag and place in box,helps but you cannot stop moisture in the air,part of boating
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 11:31am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

WD40 isn't ideal for this application.  It is very good at displacing moisture and getting into places to lubricate them but the residue it leaves behind doesn't last too well.  There are products designed specifically to provide longer term protection that work better.  They can tend to leave things a bit sticky, but better than rust. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 11:40am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

WD40 isn't ideal for this application.  It is very good at displacing moisture and getting into places to lubricate them but the residue it leaves behind doesn't last too well.  There are products designed specifically to provide longer term protection that work better.  They can tend to leave things a bit sticky, but better than rust. 
tried a few crc products but found they dry out to quick,guess leave in oily rag?but that becomes messy.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 12:03pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i find wd40 and crc great for getting rid of the rust (with some wet and dry if needed).

but wondering if their is a specific anti salt/rust oil or spray for tools. even covered and wrapped over time the salt finds them. cheeky bugger that salt.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 12:43pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

the best thing i have found is inox.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 1:11pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Spray with Inox and keep sealed inside Tupperware container Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 1:22pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

fish oil is your friend, you can get it in a spray can from Repco or super cheap...

Septone Fish Oil - 350g

Price: $16.99 each

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 2:44pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use Lanocoat on my engine and electricals as it dosent degrade the plastic/silicone componants.It leaves a natural Lanolene film to protect.  I would also use it in tools carried in my boat toolbox Thumbs Up Mega m10 have it.
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 3:10pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For tools I keep on the boat for just in case, I coated them in oil then vacuum packed them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 3:23pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have used everything. I like fisholene and Lanox but my favourite is Inox.
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 4:37pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

fisholene and lanocote dry to a tacky film. i have gone to use tools i store on the boat and pliers were just about stuck! cleaned it off with a bit of work and used inbox and never had a problem.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 6:44pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I just gave up protecting some and replaced with stainless. Though habits die hard and the are in a sealed container and sprayed with fisho,one or llano cote or inox they are still good after two seasons.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 7:06pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fish oil is good stuff. I might just go with that.

Most of the tools I buy for the boat are budget. Like $5 long nose pliers. Not a huge cost to replace and unlikely to be unfixable, but I like to take care of even the cheap tools.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 9:42pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have a cheap pair of Fuller long nose pliers on board for unhooking fish. They would be at least 3 years old and are fine. I just spray them with CRC or WD40 - whatever I have when I remember. I guess using them is better than storing them.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 9:57pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

X2 Smudge - my pliers warehouse cheapies - same just squirt with WD40 every few times - if I don't use at all they start to tighten up
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 12:06am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

bahaha mine are fullers too $4.99 bunnings special. Screw it then, Ill used them for lip hooks as well.

still will wipe em down with the fish oil and spray when needed with crc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 7:56am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Fiz Fisho enjoying the post.
What about fishing reel maintenance?
What do you do?
 I have TLD 25s and they keep going, but Shimano 6500 and 4000 need care, am going to get them serviced over winter as drags a bit sticky now and never been touched - I usually drop into Jeff Murray (09) 817 6591 in Greenbay he does good work.  Cheers
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 8:05am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

After every trip and after wash down and dried I walk around the boat with a tin of marine CRC/ lanolin added or similar product...whatever is on discount.
All the trailer rollers, wheel nuts, bimini clips, bait knives (after honeing) the toolos.. long nose pliers, winch , carabinas, duck board hinges.. clean up the steering rods...
Doesn't need a soak, just a light mist if done on a regular basis.. some things are galv, others stainless of varying grades including crappy Chinese pliers to basic chrome elcheapo emergency tools.
Sticky or corrosion, clips tight is never an issue.
Its about regular maintenance.. work hard at being lazy....and 1 min walk around with a spray can is the 'hard work'.

Page  123>