Prowler 4.1 / 4.3

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prowler 4.1 / 4.3
    Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 9:21pm
spanner View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys just wandering which one are good for offshore can able to tell me which one I still can't make up my mind
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ozz_wgtn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 10:17pm
Ozz_wgtn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Try doing a forum search mate, this topic has more than likely already been covered and you will probably just get the regular "it's personal preference, try before you buy" kind of responses...

hope that helps?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 5:52pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi Spanner     No question about it the 4.3 is a better offshore kayak.    I have both and use the 4.3 for all my tuna fishing and in the last few years have clocked up well over a thousand Km chasing tuna in blue water off New Plymouth.    It is as fast as the OK 4.7 and very stable even with a sail in anything up to 15knots.   Probably the fastest SOT of the current roto-moulded flotilla.   If you decide to get one than I would recommend you choose the " low" lid for the centre well.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Limitless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 9:07am
Limitless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by spanner spanner wrote:

Hi guys just wandering which one are good for offshore can able to tell me which one I still can't make up my mind
Hi Spanner,

I work for Viking Kayaks so you're welcome to take my comments with a grain of salt Thumbs Up

Two significant factors must be considered any time comparative kayak recommendations are made: your physical dimensions (height and weight) and your typical paddling locations. While assuming you are of average build and launching from classical kayak angling locations would automatically swing the pendulum towards the Ultra 4.3, if you are a slightly built paddler needing manoeuvrability to get away from your launch the 4.1 may ultimately be a better option. If you are a larger paddler intending to carry lots of gear other factors come into play.

I'd strongly suggest before any purchase is made that you test paddle a range of kayaks to get a good idea of how well each might suit your needs. Usually this makes the decision easy as all too often you will find one that will stand out with the performance and comfort you're looking for. Consider calling on dealers with a range of options to look at such as Canoe and Kayak or Fergs Kayaks and asking for a demo/trial.

Cheers,

Stephen Tapp
Viking Kayaks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Travis79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 8:32pm
Travis79 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Limitless Limitless wrote:

Hi Spanner,

I work for Viking Kayaks so you're welcome to take my comments with a grain of salt Thumbs Up

Two significant factors must be considered any time comparative kayak recommendations are made: your physical dimensions (height and weight) and your typical paddling locations. While assuming you are of average build and launching from classical kayak angling locations would automatically swing the pendulum towards the Ultra 4.3, if you are a slightly built paddler needing manoeuvrability to get away from your launch the 4.1 may ultimately be a better option. If you are a larger paddler intending to carry lots of gear other factors come into play.

I'd strongly suggest before any purchase is made that you test paddle a range of kayaks to get a good idea of how well each might suit your needs. Usually this makes the decision easy as all too often you will find one that will stand out with the performance and comfort you're looking for. Consider calling on dealers with a range of options to look at such as Canoe and Kayak or Fergs Kayaks and asking for a demo/trial.

Cheers,

Stephen Tapp
Viking Kayaks

Demo would be great as I'm on the edge as well, but have doubts about any Demo arrangement with dealers. Have anybody experienced demo this way already?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Limitless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 8:41am
Limitless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Travis79 Travis79 wrote:

Demo would be great as I'm on the edge as well, but have doubts about any Demo arrangement with dealers. Have anybody experienced demo this way already?
I've always had a good result, especially when going to dealers with multiple brands. At the end of the day though, for me personally a demo is about my exploring how I feel in a kayak not necessarily listening to any sales pitch:
- does it feel comfortable?
- am I happy with the level of stability for what I want to do?
- is it easy to paddle? (e.g. can I reach the water without constantly banging the side or knocking my fingers?)
- how good is the glide? am I going to be able to paddle the distance I want?
- etc., etc., etc.

While I listen to what the dealer may have to say (especially if offering tips on how to improve techniques etc.), for me any demo is about how I end up feeling about a particular kayak. This is also the reason for trialling more than one brand, not just models within a specific brand - it's not unusual to discover aspects of a particular design that you hadn't thought about, but ultimately affect your final decision.

If you do have concerns about dealer demos try approaching local kayak fishing clubs. Some clubs have hire kayaks, and most members will be proud to show off their pride and joy and let you have a short LOL test paddle...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 10:11pm
spanner View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Travis79 Travis79 wrote:

Originally posted by Limitless Limitless wrote:

Hi Spanner,

I work for Viking Kayaks so you're welcome to take my comments with a grain of saltĀ Thumbs Up

Cheers,

Stephen Tapp
Viking Kayaks

hi guys I just got a 4.1 prowler next week or so I am Qeh hospital in Adelaide for leg check up as I had a stint put in blood flow