Plastic Boats

Page  <12345 6>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 7:01pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It would save time if you enable that link. There's an insert hyperlink icon on the post screen.

Nice setup. Be interested to know if it fetches close to the asking price for when I sell mine.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 10:16am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My Mac360 due for a service this month, am also getting Nav lites and Canopy fitted will post pictures.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 3:41pm
Platinum
Platinum

There is a Mac 5.7 listed now on Trademe for $10,000. Good price.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 6:03pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

There is a Mac 5.7 listed now on Trademe for $10,000. Good price.

Trailer looks tidy so does boat - would have thought a 1998 motor is getting a bit old though, what is that worth even if hours are low?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Norseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 4:47am
Norseman View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

"Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength." St. Francis de Sales
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 9:24am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Norseman Norseman wrote:

Look here for what engine is worth

Interesting but US prices are a lot lower than here - looks like a $1000 or so US maybe 2K NZ?  Depends on condition to.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 11:27am
Platinum
Platinum

Or you could look at it like this. A second hand Mac 360 with a 2s goes for about 5k, so this is 5k extra for a lot more boat. I'm told those carbed Johnsons were very reliable, though thirsty. 

If you decide to repower it with a new 4 then it's not such a good deal. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 1:05pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As the proud owner of two of them I concur. 

Mine (2 x 70HP) use around 20L per hour between them to push a 1 tonne medium-deep v 6m boat at 22 knots.

My outboard mechanic describes them as bullet proof apart from the fuel-oil pump.  They are prone to failure of and internal diaphragm leading to over oiling and associated running problems.

Disconnecting the oil tank and running premix resolves this issue and is less of a PITA than stripping off the air intake to drain oil from the fuel bowls.

I'm told those carbed Johnsons were very reliable, though thirsty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 1:10pm
Titanium
Titanium

Or you could look at it like this. A second hand Mac 360 with a 2s goes for about 5k, so this is 5k extra for a lot more boat. I'm told those carbed Johnsons were very reliable, though thirsty. 
If you decide to repower it with a new 4 then it's not such a good deal. 
Yes you could look at it that way - would the Mac 360 with 2S for 5K be 17 years old - probably not?  Easy enough to buy old thirsty boat - plenty around.  Really depends on condition of motor at this age - if I had a 570 with 115 on back I would be wanting  to  be able to go out wide with a 3 or 4 people on board -  for this you need a reliable motor so you either strip this one down and check it out ( how long will it go for otherwise) or repower - both add costs. Realistically if keeping boat for more than a few years probably looking at over haul or repower IMO and these costs need to be factored against a newer more expensive boat. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 3:25pm
Platinum
Platinum

All true. I have about 10k in my current boat, but it doesn't cost me nearly as much to run. When I sell it I'll be saying the same things.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 4:43am
Titanium
Titanium

Saw this on trade me - Mac 570 with hard top - must be heavy?  I wonder about balance of boat, never seen a plastic boat with hard top before, someone has spent some time and coin working on it seller says hard top cost 20K to make?  Reckon you could get out in crap weather and still be warm and dry - not sure if u could see where you are going though as no wipers? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 8:08am
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Always cautious aregarding aftermarket hardtops on boats where manufacturers don't offer that option. Have heard some horror stories on the effects on boats handling.

On saying that this one could be great but many are not.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 8:15am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Dunwurkn Dunwurkn wrote:

Always cautious aregarding aftermarket hardtops on boats where manufacturers don't offer that option. Have heard some horror stories on the effects on boats handling.

On saying that this one could be great but many are not.
How would you test it?  You would probably know from how boat rides - I would say get out in it before buying definitely - see if it rides and feels top heavy - they are a heavy boat hull weight of 570 fisherman is 625kg plus motor and fuel - 100L tank is up front to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 9:37am
Fishwhisperer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Guys, looking for a bit of helpful advice.
My Brother in Law is looking to sell his old Mac Boat and is not sure what to price it at.
He hasn't used it for two years due to arthritis in his hands making it very hard to take it out.

Mac 4.7 Cuddy Cabin 1993
Engine 90hp 1998 Mercury (300 hours).
Trailer is approx. 5 years old (??)
Variety of 'extras' as you would expect

Engine very regularly serviced in past but has not been for last 2 years, so he is organising a service for it now. Trailer warranted etc.

Any ideas on a best guess price?

I will look on Trade me to try and give him an idea as well but as you guys are Plastic fans I figured you would know.

Cheers
Duncan

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 9:35pm
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

maybe 9k
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 5:48am
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry don't know well enough to price, but Rahui 9K sounds reasonable - if you get to high won't sell if to low and lots of interest, say you have another buyer and withdraw and sell for more later!  Older motors lose a lot of value because so many horror stories out there.  Best to sell beginning of summer - good time to list soon.  Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 1:55pm
Fishwhisperer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for that guys, I will pass it on to him.

Unfortunately there are no 4.7 's on Trade me at the moment.

Thanks
Duncan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 9:34pm
Platinum
Platinum

I didn't know that they had a 4.7m. I'd consider putting it on auction for the lowest that he's willing to let it go for, and let the market do the pricing for him.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 10:13pm
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It all depends on what nick its in. It does have some positives going for it. only 300 hrs on a strong motor and trailer only 5 years old. You just don't see the 4.7 models around anymore. nothing wrong with the boat if it is in good nic  it will sell.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 10:52am
Titanium
Titanium

Well I had boat serviced and Canopy fitted - got tired of freezing nuts off in Winter - Canopy can be either all on, with front window zipped open, side clears removed for shade only 
From inside nice and warm in those Manukau Channels in winter

or completely removed off boat altogether.
Thanks to Justin at West Akld Upholstery.
Page  <12345 6>