Key denies Auckland housing bubble

Page  <1 2345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 11:04am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So what you are saying Kevin, is (for instance) ..
If a person owns an investment property and has owned it for many many years, paying income tax and GST if applicable on the rental earnings from that property and has kept the property up to date by way of repairs and maintenance, insurance and rates, whilst going without in their personal life to achieve this; they should be penalised by way of Capital Gains Taxation when the time comes to sell said investment. 
Sounds like a crock of shyte to me.  Why would anyone put themselves in this position?  You would be better to just put your money in an investment account and just pay tax on the interest.  At least that way what you have scrimped and saved is actually all yours when you withdraw it.
Compare all of the above to someone who has been a spendthrift all of their lives, has had all of the fancy toys and has been on umpteen overseas trips etc., etc., but through lack of foresight finds themselves having to rely totally on state support in their retirement.  Who has done the most to ensure they have provided for their future and who is ultimately less of a drain on public funds?

Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 11:37am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know it seems really foreign to us here so its hard to accept. Also money is an emotional thing for some people.

I have no issue with CGT what soever. Someone has 10 IPs and sells them, they should be paying tax on income generated, whether its slowly acquired or not. I think the rule in OZ is you have to live in it for 12 months before its deemed principal place of residence (I could be wrong), so there are ways around it.

Ive never heard of CA's examples so cant comment, never saw that in the decades I spent there.

I have paid CGT in OZ and had no problem with it then, I see no issue with it now. People are still making a massive profit after CGT is taken out, vs 3% in the bank. If they arent, they shouldnt be in the investment property game (lets not forget a lot of IPs in are cashflow focussed vs CG).

I cant see why its not logical to pay tax on income. An investment produces income. The tax rate is different and offset.

What was the statistic for RE purchases from overseas investors, I want to clarify, was it 45%?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 12:05pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They are not being penalised Olfart, they are just paying tax on their earnings like everyone else does.  Why should they be allowed to earn tens, or hundreds, of thousands of dollars and not be taxed on it?  While the rest of us are taxed on every cent we earn.  CGT only applies to any profit they make, not the value of the property.  And if they were genuine property investors, not just speculators as the vast majority are (and most don't even know the difference) then they would have been earning money from the property all the time they owned it anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 12:15pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Spot on Kevin.

But hey we all one team on this forum. We all have very different views.

Its a very foreign concept to NZ but very much the norm in some countries.

CGT doesnt even have to represent high taxable rate either. Its how its implemented.

But paying tax on earning money is all it is.

If the reserve bank (who I think made a statement about the Govt the other day) stepped in and we also introduced CGT, along with foreign investing policy, I think Auckland could return to sustainability (within 10-15 years). WHo knows, maybe these trillions of immigrants we are being told about might also be able to afford a house ;-p

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishoooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 12:31pm
fishoooo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

Personally I'm all for a full CGT, with the obvious exception of the family home -which is excluded in all CGT schemes I've seen.  In the example Olfart gives, why should people who have the means to buy rental properties be able to earn money for their retirement tax free when those without enough to buy property have to save for their retirement and get taxed on any interest they earn -how is that fair?.  It's not a cure to the housing boom, but will mean a fairer tax regime.

Agree.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 12:41pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes PJC, times are tightening across the ditch, the mining boom has gone boom, with mines now shutting down due to plummeting prices and demand, and with no new mines being made, all the development stage jobs over there are drying up very fast. It will take some time, but this will trickle down throughout the economy over there.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 12:59pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There will always be the pro CGT views from those who do not own investment property and the opposite view from those who do.  I can see why the Govt. is hedging its' bets at the moment regarding whether or not to implement a CGT - this has the ability to become an emotive issue and could affect the Govt's popularity in the overall scheme of things. 
At the same time I can see that something has to be done to bring the property values in Auckland under control - I just don't think bringing in a CGT should be seen as the only method nor even the prime method of doing so. 
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 1:11pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

it's not a silver bullet that will cure the Auckland problem, just one of a number of steps that need to be taken to cool things down.  What the reserve bank are panicking about is that when the inevitable price correction takes place if it is sudden, not gradual, it has the potential to bring down banks.  Banks that are over exposed to property lending (which is a lot of NZ banks) could be in big trouble if the value of that property drops quickly as they won't get their money back.  The big concern about that is this government, against the advice of the IMF, decided not to make banks carry any insurance for peoples deposits.  So if a bank goes down in NZ all accounts will be instantly frozen and the bank will take as much money it needs from the accounts to make it solvent again (much as happened to many in Greece).  If that happens to be your life savings, tough luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 2:08pm
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by SeaOtter SeaOtter wrote:

Originally posted by whippersnappyr whippersnappyr wrote:

Auckland prices are just shy of 25% above the previous peak in 2007 in real terms. Doesn't seem that bad at 3% per year. With Auckland population growth and constraint on new land for housing this is economics rather than a bubble in my view. The network effect means that Auckland ever increasingly becomes the place to be for business and new immigrants. I read somewhere that 70% of immigrants settle in Auckland.

25% increase figure is national isn't it? Rather than just Auckland?

No that's Auckland. National is 3.7%
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 2:14pm
Platinum
Platinum

Sure there is no cgt but if you are in the property business you need to pay income tax on the gain on sale of properties so people in the development game don't get off Scott free.

https://www.ird.govt.nz/property/property-common-mistakes/special-tax-rules-businesses/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishoooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:21pm
fishoooo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Auckland prices are just shy of 25% above the previous peak in 2007 in real terms. Doesn't seem that bad at 3% per year. With Auckland population growth and constraint on new land for housing this is economics rather than a bubble in my view. The network effect means that Auckland ever increasingly becomes the place to be for business and new immigrants. I read somewhere that 70% of immigrants settle in Auckland.

Wow. I've personally seen areas go up 40-50 % in two years. I guess I must be looking in areas that were more likely to go up rather than say Mangere with a low increase.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishoooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:40pm
fishoooo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

CGT seems to be the focus of all this conversation and I can see why some homeowners would be against it.

The true focus here should be the Governments failure to do anything about kiwis lives been negatively effected by policy or lack of.

I've sat in auctions and been outbid by Asian buyers who literally flew over that morning to buy property and do not speak a word of English. They are not there for any other reason than investment. They will not pay tax and they will not contribute to our economy.

Many of these buyers are buying without even looking at properties.

The next group of people that I've lost at auctions to are recent imagrants

The smallest group ive lost to kiwis of all races that have been here for some time.

All of the people that think this is just an Auckland thing and no big deal need to wake up. What do you think it will look like when your county is being invaded and taken over?

Do we need this for our economy? Do we need to get bigger? Consume more? Develop more? Is New Zealand's relative isolation and size one of the reasons you like being a Kiwi?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:53pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think you can own a property and still be pro CGT. It depends on your national view point in life.

Its like you can have a job and be pro income tax.

Income is income. CGT is seperate to property development businesses which already get taxed (or maybe they shouldnt? haha).

Yep CGT is no magic cure, but it seems illogical not to have one. I wish there was no PAYE as well, but thats life.

They need a few policies to get it back in check not just CGT.

Im not buying into those figures re growth, I know areas well exceeding that In a year.

Having foreign investors inflating our markets is not a good thing. When they cash out, flooded market and bye bye $1mil property which people have borrowed a $200k boat against and now are asked by the bank to put more money back into to avoid mortgagee sale. I could be wrong, maybe it will spur on another RE boom. lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 6:54pm
Platinum
Platinum

Wow. I've personally seen areas go up 40-50 % in two years. I guess I must be looking in areas that were more likely to go up rather than say Mangere with a low increase.

You may well have. Real means adjusted for inflation
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 8:57pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What is inflation? ;-p

I wish salaries would inflate like RE. When the average income is $70k and houses are $2.5bil some still wont see a problem with the market that isnt driven by local supply and demand. Let alone the moral and social impacts for future generations. Yay go team NZ !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 11:13am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And it still rises. Frantic buyers everywhere. Scary. Central banks in U.S E.U ,Japan printing money like no tomorrow. China announced it will begin printing last week.On back of that Shanghai stock markets rocketed to new highs. With Q.E causing such massive distortion of assets and prices how do you put a price on anything anymore. Seems fundamentals have long gone. Bad news fuels the markets in the U.S as that means more printing . Maybe we are seeing end game of GFC.
Printed money  fuels bubbles. Auckland housing is one of them. Our banks are awash with cheep Q.E money.No wonder they dont want to pay locals fair interest rates.
Who knows where from here.
Australian economy still in decline. Same for china ,U.S ,Euro zone.
N.Z herald headline-Housing collapse aucklanders should fear. Draws comparison to Torontos 50% housing crash. Seems far fetched but if Auckland went down by 50% it would really knock the economy. Banks could fail ,dollar would tumble unemployment could rise dramatically.
Rabo bank N.Z gets credit rating downgrade -read that today.
So if it did crash due to any number of external factors ,who can know when. Would it be Krakatoa No 2.
Meanwhile every day at a time. Getting out fishing just as important  as house market/madness is something we have no control over.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 11:58am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Unfortunately I don't think a 50% reduction in Auckland real estate in a crash is all that far fetched at all.  There have been numerous examples of this level of crash in real estate prices, the one thing they all had in common was that most people believed it couldn't happen -right up to when it did.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 12:00pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's all pretty weird alright.

I have a good whack in the bank at the moment and I am aware banks here are not govt gauranteed like in the U.S.....

Does make me think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 9:38am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've worked out why Key doesn't think there is a housing crisis, the government think that $550,000 houses are "affordable".  I wonder how affordable the average kiwi, with an average household income, thinks they are. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 12:01pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Where in Auckland can you find a $550 K house. If you know of any snap them up quick. Great bargain.
Page  <1 2345>